Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship by an employer

Sponsorship by an employer

Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default Sponsorship by an employer

Hi all,
Hubby and I have been offered sponsorship by a hospital in Brisbane. I think I know what this means, but can anyone explain it for me properly?
My understanding is that the hospital get your visa's for you (ie they do most of the work), but do we have a fee to pay? How much form filling will there be, and how long is it likely to take?
Any nurses out there who have already done this?
Any advice or explanantion gratefully received.
Thanks
Robbo2.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship by an employer

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Hi all,
Hubby and I have been offered sponsorship by a hospital in Brisbane. I think I know what this means, but can anyone explain it for me properly?
My understanding is that the hospital get your visa's for you (ie they do most of the work), but do we have a fee to pay? How much form filling will there be, and how long is it likely to take?
Thanks
Robbo2.
Thr *first* question you need to ask is are they going to sponsor for a permanent visa or just a temporary one.

And if they won't sponsor for a permanent one then:
- ask the employer why not? and
- ask yourselves if you are happy to uproot yourselves without the security of permanent residence (many temporary visa holders in Australia get into a terrible mess, for a variety of reasons).

Jeremy
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:58 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Thanks
Robbo2.
hi Robbo

we came over on 457 temp visa. JC's company sorted out all the visas for us, took about 1 month from start to finish, (all done on line) his company paid all associated fees for the visa and our flights etc......was pretty easy really!

You also get a LAFHA, which bumps up your salary alot, try doing a search on here, there has been lots of posts on the 457 in the last few months.

good luck

laura
x
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Robbo,
JAJ is right about the first question to be answered.
There are various types of sponsorship visas and it will be less confusing if you find that out first. We can then try to answer specifically.

Laura
Everyone does not automatically get the things you mention. JC may have done well in this respect but most of it is negotiable with the employer so not a foregone conclusion.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Robbo2,

There has been a few nurses that have done this recently and on arrival and been messed about quite badly by the hospitals in question.

I would be very cautious about being sponsored on anything other than a Permanent Residence visa. You need to get all of the facys from you potential sponsor.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:18 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Laura
Everyone does not automatically get the things you mention. JC may have done well in this respect but most of it is negotiable with the employer so not a foregone conclusion.[/QUOTE]

really? I thought everyone who was on a 457 was automatically entitled to the LAFHA, how unfair!

laura
x
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Sorry if I sound daft but what is LAFHA?
I'm even more confused now!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Ditto, what on earth is LAFHA?????
Robbo , we are also going on sponsored visa, know lots of people who have and they have had no problems. We are hoping to be in Brisbane in Sept.

Last edited by purple rain; Mar 16th 2005 at 7:34 am.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

TraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the roughTraceyandPeter is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
It stands for Living Away from Home Allowance. I'm not sure that everyone is entitled to it . I think you need to show that you are still paying a mortgage back home to be able to claim it.
We are also going over on a 457 visa and have been told by hubby's employers that they will apply for PR as soon as we arrive. If not you can apply independently.
I have been told that the rules will change in April though so it could be made more difficult (or easier!).
Tracey
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:32 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
- ask yourselves if you are happy to uproot yourselves without the security of permanent residence (many temporary visa holders in Australia get into a terrible mess, for a variety of reasons).

Jeremy
Tell me about it!!!!

I went out to Oz on a 457 Temporary Visa, on the understanding that I'd be sponsored for PR after my probationary period was over, and I was confirmed in the job. My boss then spent the next year and a half with his thumb up his backside, doing nothing about it despite frequent prods, and in the end I had to come back to the UK, leaving all my goods in secure storage in Sydney while we sort out SIR visas, with Mrs DUP as the primary applicant, due to my age. It's a VERY expensive way of getting in to Oz.

Like Jeremy implies, DON'T DO IT! Make sure (and get it writing) that it's full permanent residence they're offering. As nurses you're a shoe-in, anyway. What do you need a hospital to sponsor you for, anyway?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by downunderpom
Like Jeremy implies, DON'T DO IT! Make sure (and get it writing) that it's full permanent residence they're offering. As nurses you're a shoe-in, anyway. What do you need a hospital to sponsor you for, anyway?
In most cases, it's possible to apply for immediate employer nominated permanent residence (ie, get a PR visa before you leave) and forget about any kind of temporary visa.

Jeremy
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:43 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
In most cases, it's possible to apply for immediate employer nominated permanent residence (ie, get a PR visa before you leave) and forget about any kind of temporary visa.

Jeremy
I agree with Jeremy

I'm in Melbourne working as a nurse on a 457 - job wasn't what I was told what I'd get - though ok - still feel misled.

Now applying for PR...............

Cas
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I agree with Jeremy

I'm in Melbourne working as a nurse on a 457 - job wasn't what I was told what I'd get - though ok - still feel misled.

Now applying for PR...............

Cas
Independant skills visa that is.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billabong
Robbo2,

There has been a few nurses that have done this recently and on arrival and been messed about quite badly by the hospitals in question.

I would be very cautious about being sponsored on anything other than a Permanent Residence visa. You need to get all of the facys from you potential sponsor.
Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit worried now, but I'm glad I asked.
Robbo2.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit worried now, but I'm glad I asked.
Robbo2.

Just to let you know. it is a 457 they are offering. Should I ask for a PR visa?

Can my kids get free education on a 457 or do I need to pay for schooling?

If I am sponsored for PR, will I have to work for that employer for ever more? In which case, should we take the bull by the horns and just go for the application for PR ourselves?

Please help. I'm so confused and worried!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.