Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship in Australia

Sponsorship in Australia

Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:05 am
Just Joined

minijax172 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Sponsorship in Australia

Hi I am looking for some advice, I am doing a years working holiday visa as from next week. In this time I am hoping to get sponsored by a employer.
If I am able to get a sponsorship does anyone know if my boyfriend would be able to come from the UK to live with me for the two years whilst being sponsored? or do we have to be married? or is it just not possible at all?

Any advice would be great!

Thank you
Sarah
Old Jan 10th 2013, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship in Australia

sponsorship is not easy to get.

If you did get a 457, your de facto partner is granted a visa- assuming you can prove it is a defacto relationship.
Being apart for a year is unlikely to help establish him as defacto.

My then boyfriend (now H) came out on this basis- but we could show shared bills etc.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your reply.

He's thinking of coming out on a years tourist visa whilst I'm doing my years working holiday visa. If he lived in rented accommodation with me for this time would that maybe help?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minijax172
Thank you so much for your reply.

He's thinking of coming out on a years tourist visa whilst I'm doing my years working holiday visa. If he lived in rented accommodation with me for this time would that maybe help?
Can he support himself for a year without working? Can he prove it? Why wouldn't he just get himself a WHV as well?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Yes he could support himself no problems without working. He's over 30 so can't get a working holiday visa.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minijax172
Yes he could support himself no problems without working. He's over 30 so can't get a working holiday visa.
Ok, back to the sponsorship. Do you have an occupation eligible for sponsorship? Check the CSOL to be sure. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf

If you don't have a skill on that list then unfortunately you won't be able to be sponsored by an employer. you find something.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Yes I am a hairdresser so I'll be able to find someone to sponsor me thank you for all your help
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

It's not that easy to just find someone to sponsor you. But good luck!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:37 am
Just Joined

I know it won't be easy but I'm going to try my hardest as a life in Australia is my dream
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I was there for 9 months last year. It's ok, but I don't get the dream people think it may be.. It's very hot at times and expensive. And most living creatures are able to kill you! Haha
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Well you don't know till you try it haha
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:41 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

oh god...."its my dream" feels me with dread!! have you been here before and lived here? Good luck in your quest to get here but it is very different to perception and you really won't know how it is until you have spent 6 months or so here paying bills, rentals and the cost of living. You will also have the loss of family ties ("we will visit you" never comes to fruition) and your friends support network.
It is not UK with 'sun' and hairdressers are often working in front house rooms and not the best paid (unless you strike lucky and have a fabulous reputation in the UK to bring with you).
Getting sponsorship even with your skill on the CSOL list is not a given, you will have to compete with Asian hairdressers who will happily work for half of what you expect to earn so you either need to make friends with someone who owns their own business and is willing to sponsor you or risk working for peanuts.
I'm sounding a bit negative here but all I am trying to do is remove your rose tinted spectacles for you. Why is this your 'dream' and what research have you done in anticipation of your move?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

I have been to Australia before but no not lived there. I am aware it's much more expensive but for the lifestyle I am willing to give it a damn good go. If I don't get on well or don't like it I will come home. Like I say you don't know till you try. I'm not expecting it to be perfect or easy. I have done lots of research so I do know what to expect.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:57 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

excellent.......good luck in your move then!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I was there for 9 months last year. It's ok, but I don't get the dream people think it may be.. It's very hot at times and expensive. And most living creatures are able to kill you! Haha
It is usually on the people that have never been here that talk about it being "a dream".