Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring Family whilst sponsored yourself ??

Sponsoring Family whilst sponsored yourself ??

Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Sponsoring Family whilst sponsored yourself ??

We are about to have our PR visas issued under Subclass 139 Skilled Designated Area Sponsored (leaving Oz for Vanuatu on Friday morning to have them issued offshore).

The visa is issued on the basis that for two years after receiving them our sponsoring family member is responsible for our financial support (although we are both employed and do not require any financial assistance from him).

Does anyone know whether we can we in turn sponsor other family members during this two year period, or do we have to wait until it is over before doing so ?

I know that we have to have Tax Assessments for 2 financial years before sponsoring which we do have, having lived and worked in Australia for the past 20 months on 457 Visas.

Thanks

Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:44 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that it states that to be a sponsor you need to be
1. over 18
2. an Australian citizen
3. Have an income.

As you can't apply for citizenship before 2 years is up, i'm pretty sure that you can't.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Signman Glen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsoring Family whilst sponsored yourself ??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sunlover

Hi There

I have just been talking to my migration agent about this this very subject because I will want to get my mum out to us asap when we get out there. She as advised me that you have to be a permanent resident for 2 years before you can sponsor any body, so if you are beeing sponsored your self for 2 years then that period must expire first.

Hope it helps some

Signman Glen
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:57 pm
rudo1ph

Originally posted by hevs
I'm sure that it states that to be a sponsor you need to be
1. over 18
2. an Australian citizen
3. Have an income.

As you can't apply for citizenship before 2 years is up, i'm pretty sure that you can't.

You don't have to be a citizen to sponsor........PR is good enough........we were sponsored by my sister who is a PR. However, that doesn't help with the original question........sorry - don't know the answer......

Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry was getting confused with sponsor and assurer.

As its already been said, you have to have had PR for two years to be a sponsor.

(an assurer needs to be a citizen and have lived in the country for two years prior to the application)

Sorry if i just confused matters.

Again
Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:08 am
rudo1ph

Originally posted by hevs
Sorry was getting confused with sponsor and assurer.

As its already been said, you have to have had PR for two years to be a sponsor.

(an assurer needs to be a citizen and have lived in the country for two years prior to the application)

Sorry if i just confused matters.

Again

Um dare I mention that my assurer was the same person who sponsored me..........the PR person!!!

Old Jul 15th 2004, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by rudo1ph
Um dare I mention that my assurer was the same person who sponsored me..........the PR person!!!
Thanks

Yes.. our sponsor and assurer (same person) was a Permanent Resident and not a Citizen.

However he hadn't been sponsored himself
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring Family whilst sponsored yourself ??

Yes, you can sponsor as soon as you have become permanent residents. As long as you can demonstrate that you are resident in Australia and can meet your sponsorship obligations.

The fact you've just been sponsored yourselves is not relevant.

Someone else (Signman Glen) mentioned the need to be resident for 2 years to sponsor. That does apply for many visa classes - such as contributory parent - but does *not* apply for skilled sponsored (subclasses 138 and 139). Even if it did, legal temporary residence does count towards the 2 year residence period, provided you have PR at time of sponsorship.

You need to separately meet the requirements for the Assurance of Support, if you plan to provide this yourselves. Responsibility for this is now with Centrelink so pay attention to the requirements as they may evolve.

Sponsorship rules are confusing and never assume that what applies to one visa also applies to another.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Sunlover
We are about to have our PR visas issued under Subclass 139 Skilled Designated Area Sponsored (leaving Oz for Vanuatu on Friday morning to have them issued offshore).

The visa is issued on the basis that for two years after receiving them our sponsoring family member is responsible for our financial support (although we are both employed and do not require any financial assistance from him).

Does anyone know whether we can we in turn sponsor other family members during this two year period, or do we have to wait until it is over before doing so ?

I know that we have to have Tax Assessments for 2 financial years before sponsoring which we do have, having lived and worked in Australia for the past 20 months on 457 Visas.

Thanks