Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring family members

Sponsoring family members

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:18 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sponsoring family members

My OH has one sister who is married with two small children. Unfortunately they don't have the skills which are required on the 136 visa.

Can we sponsor them, once we have done our 2 years? We are going out on a 136.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring family members

Originally Posted by julie hilton
My OH has one sister who is married with two small children. Unfortunately they don't have the skills which are required on the 136 visa.

Cheers
Hi we came out on family sponsored visa, but you still need skill assessment, but just dont need to worry about meeting the points requirement. Not sure whether there are any other visa options they could consider, some people come out on temp visa and go to college??

Julia
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:35 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Hi we came out on family sponsored visa, but you still need skill assessment, but just dont need to worry about meeting the points requirement. Not sure whether there are any other visa options they could consider, some people come out on temp visa and go to college??

Julia
I thought that might be the case.

Many thanks
Julie
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by julie hilton

Cheers
Hi Julie, when do you see yourself landing in Oz, the reason I ask is that with the proposed changes to Immigration and Citizenship, you may have to wait 4 years before you could sponsor someone.

I maybe wrong as I haven't read up on the particulars but it would seem likely that you would have to wait for the extra couple of years BUT don't take this as gospel.

Cheers

Jay
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:25 am
Got our visas

Originally Posted by jayjd12
Hi Julie, when do you see yourself landing in Oz, the reason I ask is that with the proposed changes to Immigration and Citizenship, you may have to wait 4 years before you could sponsor someone.

I maybe wrong as I haven't read up on the particulars but it would seem likely that you would have to wait for the extra couple of years BUT don't take this as gospel.

Cheers

Jay
Hello Jay

We are planning on going next year. It was just a general question. They may not to come. It just nice having the information at hand.

Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayjd12

Cheers

Jay
I dont think the increase in the length of time to become a Citizen will affect you sponsoring someone.

As long as you are a permanent resident and in most cases a "Settled Resident" which means 2 years of residing in Oz then you should be ok to sponsor someone.

Like other people have said though, they will probably still have to go down the skills assessment route first.