Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spoiling your vote

Spoiling your vote

Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spoiling your vote

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I might add my brigade..

hey..serious question. Do people have sausage stalls in the UK? I can't for the life of me remember!
Not at any polling station I ever used!

And I wasn't sad enough to actually go looking for that map, it came up on the twitter feed at work, right on cue! Glad you approve Badge
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:00 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

hey..serious question. Do people have sausage stalls in the UK? I can't for the life of me remember!
No and it's terrible, Ikea is the only place or it was last time i was in the UK anyway and it's hotdogs only or ice cream or diam bars or meatballs or those pink mushroom sweets ummm. Sorry I forgot this was about voting
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
its a sad fact that I don't care in the least about the history of it. I feel a great amount of compassion and pity for those who are unable to vote or have an opinion but being brought up where it was a given, on a superficial level it just doesnt enter my head.

Its like feminism. I have no time for it since I turned 20 and realised that the feminists ruined my life. Personally I dont want to carry my bags, or open my own door. I want chocolates and for gentlemen to be polite. I dont want to vote, I dont want a career - I want to look after my children, my home and have "at home" mornings with my friends. I think society as a whole was a lot better off when members of families stayed at home, interacting with their neighbours and when there was as community structure.

I am not saying I want to be beaten or publically stoned, but I am more than happy with the female/male differences and in having roles in the household.

I can completely understand why others don't want that but for me it would suit me down to the ground. With less of a workforce, people woudl be paid more and then that 1/2 couple income would support the family.

I hate being forced to work due to finances. I just want a laura ashley yashmak.
I was agreeing with you on all posts (on this thread ) and was thinking, this is cool. Then I got to the Laura Ashley yasmak and you lost all credibility.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I was under the strange misapprehension that an election meant people were concerned about voting. Nope, I really should've known better, after all this is the land of car-park hotdog sellers and dubious cake stalls......I've seen it all now........

http://www.castnerit.com/election/map.aspx
How Australia puts bounce into voting http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/p...ge/4489931.stm

Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Then I got to the Laura Ashley yasmak and you lost all credibility.
Yes, well I cant really imagine myself being in Laura Ashley either but I have started making a mobile out of butterflies which is SO not my scene. I am slowly becoming my mother.

My problem is now is that I have realised election day is actually today and I dont have a voting card or similar - I cant remember what I did last time. Anyone know if you just go there and give your name and if they have a list? Or is it computerised in some way? Can you go to any polling booth?

I think I may just go vote for the welsh one for the hell of it, supporting fellow country women and all that....
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How Australia puts bounce into voting http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/p...ge/4489931.stm
Those were the days... when a dollar was worth 40p.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't voted seriously since I was in my early 20s.

I intend to spoil my vote tomorrow and I've been told that this is technically (illegal?) but the best laid plans of mice and men can't stop people from doing it. I am aware that people have faced death and imprisonment for the right to a single vote but I don't want to vote for anyone.

Of course, you can turn up, get your name ticked off and then not cast your ballot which works out for me as I can get a sausage off the CFA sizzle they lay on near the door - (but at least 6 metres away).

I want to see you in prison, then we can hear tales of your jailbreak and Mrs B's beautiful and brave rescue mission to retrieve you
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:01 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
My problem is now is that I have realised election day is actually today and I dont have a voting card or similar - I cant remember what I did last time. Anyone know if you just go there and give your name and if they have a list? Or is it computerised in some way? Can you go to any polling booth?
Its my first time to vote and I dont have a clue either!!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:28 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

You rock up give your name and address and they give you a voting paper.

Still have to go yet myself and no idea where my vote is going
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not at any polling station I ever used!

And I wasn't sad enough to actually go looking for that map, it came up on the twitter feed at work, right on cue! Glad you approve Badge

Originally Posted by joh117
You rock up give your name and address and they give you a voting paper.

Still have to go yet myself and no idea where my vote is going
I took the voting slip over to the ballot box and posted it as it was given to me. My address is listed as the one I had 6 years ago but I didn't see the need to change it.

The sausage was bloody beautiful. Yes, it was beef, not pork but it was good all the same.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I want to see you in prison, then we can hear tales of your jailbreak and Mrs B's beautiful and brave rescue mission to retrieve you
I want to see YOU in prison.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

The last 2 elections in the UK I spoilt my ballot paper.

When we discused voting in our lunch break none of my fellow workers could understand why I did it. It fact one got annoyed that I would "Waste" my vote. As I did not agree to any parties policies how else was I to express my opinion?

But I've voted since I came to OZ

Keel
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Picking the soap up off the floor in the showers?

I've just got back from voting, I don't agree with mandatory voting and personally I can't do a spoiled vote so I voted for the least worst IMO. I still hate them. It feels wrong. It's never happened before, I've always voted with conviction.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:22 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

I took the voting slip over to the ballot box and posted it as it was given to me. My address is listed as the one I had 6 years ago but I didn't see the need to change it.

The sausage was bloody beautiful. Yes, it was beef, not pork but it was good all the same.

took me 2 hours to chew the one i bought
by the time i had eaten it i was nearly at the front of the queue
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:24 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
took me 2 hours to chew the one i bought
by the time i had eaten it i was nearly at the front of the queue
You're not supposed to eat the ballot paper but I can see that it would take two hours, size of the bloody thing!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:26 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
You're not supposed to eat the ballot paper but I can see that it would take two hours, size of the bloody thing!
it was better than the sausage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.