Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Splish Splash Splosh

Splish Splash Splosh

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:26 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Splish Splash Splosh

Before I start this thread, I do know I am not the most enthusiastic migrant on the forum, but I want to discuss the real lifestyle option of having your own pool.

We are lucky enough to be renting a house with a pool for a few weeks. And boy it looks great when I am washing the dishes and can (sorry just got pulled away from computer to kill cockroach). Where was I, oh yes ....and I can see lovely pool of blue water.

But it takes a strong constitution to get in, its bl**dy freezing, once in the water, its not too bad on days when the temps are over 30 but otherwise just too cold for my liking.

Then we don't have the balmy evenings when it might be nice to have a dip and of course the mozzies are out in force as soon as the sun starts to set.

We don't have the trouble of the upkeep because this is organised by our landlady, our only task is to scoop leaves and the odd cockroach from the pool in a morning. But obviously there must be expenses, cleaning, maintenance etc.

I reckon children probably love to use the pool but the I guess for younger children it ties an adult up to watch them. Also when the sun is so hot you are leaving yourslef vulnerable to its rays if you are out in the pool for any great time.

When I think about the climate in perth, I reckon you might only be able to use your pool 3-4 months of the year.

But I am happy to be corrected, we have only had use of own pool for a week, and maybe I am just looking at the negative side.

So how is your own pool for you guys n gals
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:33 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Splish Splash Splosh

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Before I start this thread, I do know I am not the most enthusiastic migrant on the forum, but I want to discuss the real lifestyle option of having your own pool.

We are lucky enough to be renting a house with a pool for a few weeks. And boy it looks great when I am washing the dishes and can (sorry just got pulled away from computer to kill cockroach). Where was I, oh yes ....and I can see lovely pool of blue water.

But it takes a strong constitution to get in, its bl**dy freezing, once in the water, its not too bad on days when the temps are over 30 but otherwise just too cold for my liking.

Then we don't have the balmy evenings when it might be nice to have a dip and of course the mozzies are out in force as soon as the sun starts to set.

We don't have the trouble of the upkeep because this is organised by our landlady, our only task is to scoop leaves and the odd cockroach from the pool in a morning. But obviously there must be expenses, cleaning, maintenance etc.

I reckon children probably love to use the pool but the I guess for younger children it ties an adult up to watch them. Also when the sun is so hot you are leaving yourslef vulnerable to its rays if you are out in the pool for any great time.

When I think about the climate in perth, I reckon you might only be able to use your pool 3-4 months of the year.

But I am happy to be corrected, we have only had use of own pool for a week, and maybe I am just looking at the negative side.

So how is your own pool for you guys n gals
Like you we have a man who does all our pool maintenance.

Not seen a mozzie yet in Perth, fortunately.

As for the cold bit, I've got an "Oooh a pool, lets leap in" mentality, so I was swimming in it in August when we arrived.

Can imagine that having your own pool is a pain due to the maintenance, but hey (just let me pop my rose-tinted specs on....aaah that's better) but hey that's one of the reasons I moved here!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:38 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pookin
Not seen a mozzie yet in Perth, fortunately.

As for the cold bit, I've got an "Oooh a pool, lets leap in" mentality, so I was swimming in it in August when we arrived.
We arrived in August I felt okay the first few days but the started to feel the cold and went out wearing lots of layered clothing that didn't co-ordinate but I figured it was okay to do that in Oz, I wouldn't have gone out dressed like that at home.

I couldn't have got into a pool in August unless it was heated or I had a wetsuit on (do they keep you warm?) You should get a rose tinted medal for bravery.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:43 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
We arrived in August I felt okay the first few days but the started to feel the cold and went out wearing lots of layered clothing that didn't co-ordinate but I figured it was okay to do that in Oz, I wouldn't have gone out dressed like that at home.

I couldn't have got into a pool in August unless it was heated or I had a wetsuit on (do they keep you warm?) You should get a rose tinted medal for bravery.
It's only cold if you stay still. Doubt if I'll do it next year! It was a novelty!:scared:
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We were in Perth for a month last year,(over the christmas period). The unit we rented had a large pool. If it hadnt I think I would have gone mad. My 2 boys were in it almost 24 hours a day.
As they were 15 and 12 at the time, we didnt even have to `watch` them. Well only occasionally when they decided to show us up by fighting. Kids!!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We have just invested in a pool cover - $386 for a bit of blue bubble wrap basically. But boy does it work at keeping the water warm. I could count on 1 hand the amount of times I used our pool, too whimpy to get in cos it was so cold, even if the temp outside was 35 degrees!

Now I have been transformed into a mermaid!!

It keeps the cleaning and water evaporation down too.

GET ONE!!

Diane (not on commission, honest guv)
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:08 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

oooh di..a mermaid..now there's a thought!!!..lol

we may get a cover for ours but the kids use it mostly and they dont seem to feel the cold like us eh?

dont forget peeps that you should test your water before you swim to keep the chlorine level ok as you are at risk of suffering with 'amoebic meningitis'...:scared: ..i read it on a WA health website...cant remember link...i spoke to the woman at the pool shop and she told me that these amoeba like to multiply in water over 26 degrees celcius .so maybe i would not bother with a cover..let the kids freeze!!!!
not trying to scare monger anyone..and i have to be honest i dont have anything to do with the upkeep of ours...hubby does it..... AND we dont test it before anyone swims EVERY time...eekk....but its a precation that you should take into consideration!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I was CONVINCED my youngest had it the other week when he was ill. The bacteria enters the body by water going up the nose and since he is forever bombing and jumping in, my imagination was working overtime a usual:scared: :scared:

Its all very confusing this pool lark though, ours is a salt water pool and we dont have to test it (i dont think), there is an indicator on the thingy which gives readings. We just keep chucking bags of salt in - we are definatley pool virgins!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

After the pissing in the sink thread maybe double the chlorine.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

With 3 males in the family - a must. Of course us ladies don't do such things!!

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
We have just invested in a pool cover - $386 for a bit of blue bubble wrap basically. But boy does it work at keeping the water warm.
We have one for our spa - we have a huge solar heated outdoor spa on our verandah- & it works great on it too. I imagine it would be even more efficient on a pool where the volume of water was greater.

Still waiting for our pool, had hoped to have one by this summer but now we are moving again next year its been put off again. We will definitely be getting ours heated so we can use it for much longer than just a couple of months in summer.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:44 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by DianeOZ
With 3 males in the family - a must. Of course us ladies don't do such things!!

What's that stuff you can get to put in pools which turns pee flourescent green? It's like an arrow pointing at the perpetrator.....
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

That would be good - at least the bubbles indicate who's dropped a smelly one or a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaart (in an american/oz accent according to my youngest).