Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The spiders in your house

The spiders in your house

Old Apr 5th 2005, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Talking The spiders in your house

Okay.. I just know this will start a response as quick and as ugly as the beasts themselves.. BUT how many POISONOUS spiders :scared: (as opposed to huntsmen ) have you had to put out of the house? And did alcohol help you to recover from the experience ?

Take it it depends where you live, but I'm curious about the toxicity of the Aelaide funnel-web (as opposed to its cousin in Sydney). And what about the infamous Brown Recluse? I'm not really scared of spiders in the UK, usually talk to them as I put them out in the glass, though none have answered me back yet (need to speak to Jim Carey or buy a Babel fish before I go to Oz. Could try morse code with the huntsmen, if they can tap their feet fast enough).

So pray tell how many risky beasties you've had and how you've got rid of them. :scared:
Old Apr 5th 2005, 12:54 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The spiders in your house

none, but just wanted to say how much you made me laugh about talking ot them!!

i wanna know if the big buggers really do make a huge mess if ya squash em??

sending you karma

sue
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
none, but just wanted to say how much you made me laugh about talking ot them!!

i wanna know if the big buggers really do make a huge mess if ya squash em??

sending you karma

sue
Hi Sue

Sending some Karma back... along with a can of Raid. I can't understand why nobody's said how much mess the biggies make of the Dyson?? And if you come back to the UK whether imiigration here would be as fussy about the resultant state of your vaccuum cleaner as they are when you try to get a vaccuum cleaner into Oz. Does squashing the cockroaches makes a crunchier sound/more or less mess than the huntsman that was eating them all???

(Just joking, off to the zoo with my duaghter next week to see if I can hone my communication skills while still in the UK).

Claire.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
Okay.. I just know this will start a response as quick and as ugly as the beasts themselves.. BUT how many POISONOUS spiders :scared: (as opposed to huntsmen ) have you had to put out of the house? And did alcohol help you to recover from the experience ?

Take it it depends where you live, but I'm curious about the toxicity of the Aelaide funnel-web (as opposed to its cousin in Sydney). And what about the infamous Brown Recluse? I'm not really scared of spiders in the UK, usually talk to them as I put them out in the glass, though none have answered me back yet (need to speak to Jim Carey or buy a Babel fish before I go to Oz. Could try morse code with the huntsmen, if they can tap their feet fast enough).

So pray tell how many risky beasties you've had and how you've got rid of them. :scared:
I've lived in Sydney for 25 years and I've had about half a dozen huntsmen and ZERO poisonous spiders in my house(s) in all that time.

I've only ever seen a red-back once, but that was out in the bush and no-where near where I live. I've never seen a funnel-web or a white-tail anywhere.

The whole spider thing is a beat-up. Don't live near the bush and you don't have to worry about them.

I do see lots of cockroaches but that's another story...
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Nicky... very reassuring to lots of people on here I'm sure.

How do you send Karma??? Anyone??

Claire
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:33 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
I've lived in Sydney for 25 years and I've had about half a dozen huntsmen and ZERO poisonous spiders in my house(s) in all that time.

I've only ever seen a red-back once, but that was out in the bush and no-where near where I live. I've never seen a funnel-web or a white-tail anywhere.

The whole spider thing is a beat-up. Don't live near the bush and you don't have to worry about them.

I do see lots of cockroaches but that's another story...
Thanks Nicky, I swear there are people on here who enjoy making arachnaphobes squirm (you know who you are) nice to see someone with a positive answer for a change. No doubt the post will be riddled with pics of huge spiders within an hour!!! :scared:
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya guys

I guess there are so many variables it is hard to really say for certain!! But we've been here 2.5 years and we've seen redbacks in the garden (where you would expect to find them) and only had 1 whitetail in the laundry at the house we first rented when we got here. Oooo I saw a redback on my electric roller shutter this morning (outside) but they are so diddy they are hard to take seriously (and I don't/didn't like spiders!!)

Other than that, we've never seen a huntsman (oh I tell a lie, my husband thinks he may have seen one, but couldn't be sure! You get the usual creepy crawlies in the house, in fact the most prevalent spider in our house is the daddy longlegs.

Although we're probably too lax in our spider security (we don't even bother shaking out the shoes anymore...or checking the bedding before bed!LOL) I really think you have to be REALLY unlucky to have a bad encounter.

Have only seen a couple of bush cockies, oooo and a REALLY big cockroach at the E-SHED markets..."lunch anyone"?, had a cricket in house once, and one of those baby lizard thingies (very cute)...quite frankly I'm a little disappointed at the rather DISTINCT lack of scary creatures near me!! (just wait for my next instalment of "OMFG scary creature" thread!! LOL

Don't worry about it, you'll be fine!!

love sophia xx
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:49 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we have had 4 huntsmen who have ended up doin the Mortein dance lol and we got loads of daddy long legs in the house and a few St Andrews cross in the garden but they r good guys...eat all the baddies....on saying that the big bugger in the pic was on a road sign just doon the road. Have also had a couple baby brown snakes but hey goes with the terratory lol
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't squash the roaches, zap them with Surface Spray, they soon expire and can be swept out -much less messy. I don't know how many of them I've had - 30+ probably in 18 months. Huntsmen? 3 I think in the same time. Nothing else - this is in Brisbane, by the way.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't squash the roaches, zap them with Surface Spray, they soon expire and can be swept out -much less messy. I don't know how many of them I've had - 30+ probably in 18 months. Huntsmen? 3 I think in the same time. Nothing else - this is in Brisbane, by the way.
We've had about 10 roaches since we moved here (6 months). The last one was a devious b*gger with armour plating. I battered him a few times but he kept disappearing under kitchen appliances which I had to move, and then he'd scuttled under another.

A kitchen roach hunt is much more fun than watching tv, and better exercise too, if you have to shift a fridge/dishwasher etc.

I have only one scary spider incident to report. I got stuck behind our pool fence once because a spider with a white stripe down its back was sitting on the release knob of the gate. It was quite aggressive like it was wanting me to go near it, so I climbed over the fence instead! Anyone any idea what it was? Its entire size including legs was about the size of a 20 cent piece. It was really looking for a fight when I came near it, front legs in the air and everything.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:31 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
Thanks Nicky... very reassuring to lots of people on here I'm sure.

How do you send Karma??? Anyone??

Claire

Click the button thingy in the right hand side of the post - the one that is called Karma
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: The spiders in your house

Thanks, All

I think this lot may well swing my brave 6ft 7 in, 17 stone, 24-year-old "heavy metal" son to come out and see me in Adelaide. At the moment it's usually me that puts the darlings out if they are more than an inch or so.

In all fairness he'd always been scared of snakes until he lived with a girlfriend with a boa, so if all else fails and you're not getting enough of big creepy crawlies, I guess you just have to find the right partner... she turned out to be a bit creepy too, and probably more dangerous than the snake... so be careful who you pick (LOL)!