Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders and spraying

Spiders and spraying

Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:19 pm
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders and spraying

Originally Posted by Jez & Lorraine
Its a real dilemma, but wouldn't you just die if something scurried across your bed !!!

Eeerrrrmmmm....................Completely :scared:
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

All very reassuring but..............funnel webs in your house (these things are as big as your hand). I only thought they hung out in the bush !

They hang out in the bush mainly, but back gardens. They try to make a web from the rafters of your house sometimes but they're easy to spot because of the shape.

As with all things Australian you learn to adjust.... they come in when it's been raining sometimes. My mother in law just sweeps them outside with a broom.

We panic too much here... It's really sad. Lived in Aus before and the spiders and I hardly ever met. Time to get over it all .... move to the country, expect cows. Move to Aus, expect spiders.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cheri-pie
Spray, spray, spray every 3-6 months! At least that's what I will do I think!

If you spray that often you're in danger of affecting your health big time. Pesticide poisoning is unpleasant and in most cases, completely irreversable. You really don't want to do that to yourself or your kids. I would hope that no-one in their right mind would do it for you either, but there are always people out there looking for easy money.

It's sad that you're so scared of these creatures. My brotherin law used to flick them off the stairs when he came across one (when he was little). It's just a spider. They're like snakes... they like being alive and don't particularly want to bite anything.... but they will if you provoke them... in much the same way a horse will kick you if you go at it with a stick.

Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

Its a real dilemma, but wouldn't you just die if something scurried across your bed !!!

I had one drop on me from a wall. It lost it's grip when it was walking. i freaked but hey, it was only a small hunstsman and I think I scared it more.

A friend, when we were backpacking in Darwin, had one land on her naked chest. I think it was a mouse spider which can bite quite nastily or maybe something else - It was a long time ago... Anyway, she's naked to the waist when I wake her up in the morning with the news that she has to keep very still.....
The hostel manager rang some people and they came to knock it out (with some gas) and remove it from her chest.

You should have seen the crowds at the door whilst this was all goiing on.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

Man, I'm talking to myself on this thread. How'd that happen?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

ipom, Pressure immobilisation ( or compression technique if you want ) is really only recommended for the Funnel web - it's the one spider you treat like you would treat a venomous snake bite. It is not really recommended to use this technique for most other spiders.

The only two spiders you should worry about if bitten is the funnel web ( including some of the other funnel-webs not just the Sydney one) and then the redback - Pressure immobilisation is not recommended for the redback as the venom is very slow acting- pressure immobilisation is not recommended for white tails as they are not life threatening neither are they recommended for the harmless huntsman

No deaths from spider bites have been recorded since 1979 because of antivenom and not because of pressure immobilisation

It totally depends where you live - been here just over 9 years and I have lost count on how many redbacks, Huntsmen and wolf spiders I have had around my homes (I'm backing onto bushland) - I have never been bitten, and I do regularly have them on my walls and my floor . They tend to get out of my way.
I can put your hand next to a huntsman and it will move away - they are not aggressive, unless you really provoke one . I've even tried to get a huntsman to walk over the back of my hand , but she kept moving away from my hand - she wasn't haven't any of it.

Most spiders will bite if you squash them - ie they bite in defence ( bar the funnel web which is apparently a little aggressive sod and takes no provocation to bite - I've never seen one myself)

Redbacks are a pain as I always used to find them where I put my hands - inside door runners outside, inside our garage door where I put my hands to lift the door etc etc . I haven't had any at all in or around my current house - they do tend to be more suburban and not as many in bushland. This is the only spider I do kill, just because I was always in danger of putting my hands on top of them when I wasn't looking. All others I let them be , or put a glass over the top of them, and slide a paper underneath to lift them and chuck them outside

spray - you may find that you have a different sort of pest problem - spiders keep down bugs and cockroaches ( I never get cockroaches in my home) .
bird life such as the kookaburra , frogmouth , and lizards, etc etc eat spiders - they are part of the chain of nature

I agree with - "I'd more worried about the Pesticides than the spiders" - true.

I also agree with "leave them alone and they will leave you alone". They are part of the furniture in our home in the summer months, they really don't bother us at all - so why kill them?

If you don't want a lot of spiders around you live in the suburbs/ built up estates like a lot of People do.
If you love spiders live next to bushland - you'll have plenty of the little chaps around you unless you kill them all by spraying .
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 9th 2006 at 1:55 am.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Man, I'm talking to myself on this thread. How'd that happen?

No you're not m8 - but def know how you feel

Found your post really funny - poor girl though - hope she cld laugh about it after?

Gill
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I had one drop on me from a wall. It lost it's grip when it was walking. i freaked but hey, it was only a small hunstsman and I think I scared it more.

Talking of walls, in the UK, while Bix and I were waiting for a taxi in a small village in Cornwall called Lostwithiel, we were standing outside by the wall of a very, very old church and suddenly, in the corner of my eye I saw something moving - it was bloody spiders crawing in and out of the old stone walls - freaked me out m8! Course cld not help but watch them and boy it was a weird site - now you see them now you dont - Gives me the creeps justing thinking abt it again :scared: Like something from a horror movie I can tell you!

Right, thats enough abt spiders for me today - bye bye

Gill
Old Mar 9th 2006, 4:07 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Looked at loads of threads on Spiders - scary stuff.

I absolutely hate them but it does not put me off Australia. Spent three weeks in Brisbane and didn't see one (just a red bellied black snake - which was more afraid than us).

But with spiders its the legs and scurrying that scares me/us.

Some of the threads talk about the white tail hiding in your bed and biting you in the night (in your mouth !!!!!!!). Is it really this bad ?

We have heard about spraying your house and garden to keep the nasties away - but does it work and how often do you have to do it. I believe you can get people in to do it for you, is this the best option.

We have a four year old, and don't really like the idea of nasties walking around in her bedding while she's sleeping.

Probably just being mard poms, but would like to know what we are letting ourself in for.
On our first week in our rental my son came into my bedroom at 7am and said..mummy, there is a spider on my curtain and it's REALLY BIG! I went in and to my horror was the biggest, ugliest spider I had ever seen. I must say, I nearly had a fricking coronary. It was 'only' a huntsman but it was SO BIG... bigger than my hand. i sprayed it, felt guilty about killing it and flushed it down the loo. My ozzie neighbour thinks it sooo funny ...and he says...they won't hurt ya woman...he aparently encourages them to stay in his house so they get rid of the mozzies??????

We had the house bug bombed before we moved in so i didn't think i'd find one, but we have found out that when we open our windows half way..there is a gap between the actual window and the fly screen so it must of crawled in that way. Needless to say my windows are either always open fully so there is no gap or shut tight!

I still have nightmares now about sitting on the loo and the thing comes alive and crawls up the toilet and attacks me!!

After three months I am slowly coming to terms with the nature here.... Next time I see a huntsman indoors I won't be so quick to kill it..they're not too bad after all!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ceri
ipom, Pressure immobilisation ( or compression technique if you want ) is really only recommended for the Funnel web - it's the one spider you treat like you would treat a venomous snake bite. It is not really recommended to use this technique for most other spiders.
)
I've seen a number of funnel webs. They come in after the rain and sit under the stairs. They actually rear up at you with no provocation, and they're hairy black evil looking buggers. No-one in their right mind would go near one.

I found one last time I was in Aus and it had fallen from a tree into a jam jar that was sitting on a windowsill, unbelievably! What a shot! I took it to my hub (who's lived there all his life) and my brother in law (who's lived there all his life) and neither of them really knew what it was for sure because they'd never really seen a funnel web!

I figured if two Aussie blokes had never seen one on the very bush property they'd grown up on, we were pretty safe for the future.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Jez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Welshie
On our first week in our rental my son came into my bedroom at 7am and said..mummy, there is a spider on my curtain and it's REALLY BIG! I went in and to my horror was the biggest, ugliest spider I had ever seen. I must say, I nearly had a fricking coronary. It was 'only' a huntsman but it was SO BIG... bigger than my hand. i sprayed it, felt guilty about killing it and flushed it down the loo. My ozzie neighbour thinks it sooo funny ...and he says...they won't hurt ya woman...he aparently encourages them to stay in his house so they get rid of the mozzies??????

We had the house bug bombed before we moved in so i didn't think i'd find one, but we have found out that when we open our windows half way..there is a gap between the actual window and the fly screen so it must of crawled in that way. Needless to say my windows are either always open fully so there is no gap or shut tight!

I still have nightmares now about sitting on the loo and the thing comes alive and crawls up the toilet and attacks me!!

After three months I am slowly coming to terms with the nature here.... Next time I see a huntsman indoors I won't be so quick to kill it..they're not too bad after all!

I guess we will slowly come to terms with them. I don't kill any spiders here. I usually catch them and put them outside. But UK spiders don't bite !!!! Having said that if I have seen a spider somewhere (wolf spiders are the worst here) I have to catch it and put it out (thats if the dog does not get to it first). I couldn't sit in the same room as a spider in case it ran over me. Guess I've got to toughen up for Australia. What happens with pets. Do dogs attack spiders and if so are they OK or do they get bitten and suffer the same consequences as us ?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:05 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

I guess we will slowly come to terms with them. I don't kill any spiders here. I usually catch them and put them outside. But UK spiders don't bite !!!! Having said that if I have seen a spider somewhere (wolf spiders are the worst here) I have to catch it and put it out (thats if the dog does not get to it first). I couldn't sit in the same room as a spider in case it ran over me. Guess I've got to toughen up for Australia. What happens with pets. Do dogs attack spiders and if so are they OK or do they get bitten and suffer the same consequences as us ?
I've never actualy thought about the dog with spiders. I guess if they get bitten it's gonna be the same as if we get bitten? Wonder if they have anti-venom and stuff for the doggies? Would you actually know if he got bitten, I am sure there would be the same symptoms?? wow...I'll keep the vet busy with my questions!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:07 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

I've wondered this. Our one cat has always loved pulling the legs off spiders. I'm not sure Oz ones would sit still for that!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:33 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie

D D
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Yes and they crawl in through your mouth and ears while your asleep and lay eggs inside your head and then millions of babies hatch and eat away your brain. :scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.