Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spiders, sorry but I have to ask.

spiders, sorry but I have to ask.

Old Oct 10th 2006, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default spiders, sorry but I have to ask.

Hello everyone.
Now please be honest but kind! I am off to Gold Coast for Christmas, am English but live in NZ and its my first time to Australia. My hubs went a couple of years ago on a blokes holiday and he says I will love it, but that he saw spiders as big as your hand hanging out in trees, between telegraph poles etc. Is he winding me up?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

rubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: spiders, sorry but I have to ask.

Originally Posted by Jude J
Hello everyone.
Now please be honest but kind! I am off to Gold Coast for Christmas, am English but live in NZ and its my first time to Australia. My hubs went a couple of years ago on a blokes holiday and he says I will love it, but that he saw spiders as big as your hand hanging out in trees, between telegraph poles etc. Is he winding me up?

I've never been to the Gold Coast but have lived in Oz for a few years - yes the spiders are HUGE but theyre not everywhere! I did see a moth - a GIGANTIC moth when I was up in tropical N.Queensland - size of a bloomin bird!!

Dont they have big creepy crawlies in NZ?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:03 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hello everyone.
must be pulling your leg, you do get big spiders but pay them no mind
welcome across the pond
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

callie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to behold

hey there, i'm really arachnophobic and was worried when i emigrated from the UK that I would basically be chased down the street by the little suckers....i can happily say that is not the case and to be honest you don't really see that many. They are there but they live in their little spider world and we live in ours so we pass each other by without even knowing - all good. Enjoy ur holiday
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Hello everyone.

Yep I have seen them, but they are up there in the sky so wont hurt you.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rubyredlips
I've never been to the Gold Coast but have lived in Oz for a few years - yes the spiders are HUGE but theyre not everywhere! I did see a moth - a GIGANTIC moth when I was up in tropical N.Queensland - size of a bloomin bird!!

Dont they have big creepy crawlies in NZ?

No, well, not that I've seen anyway. I'm not bad with most things, but spiders freak me out. I am such a baby, and I have never seen anything bigger than a big house spider in uk, and I was bad enough with them.
In Hong Kong I was staying with my sister, we were out one night and I noticed she sat with her feet up on the chair, I asked her why and she said it was because of the cockroaches. I looked about on the ground and did see some so I put my feet up too and kept an eye out but wasn't too concerned, now, if they had been spiders, there is no way I could have sat there.

When you say they are not everywhere, do they hide in dark places that I can avoid or do you see them in your house/hotel room. Sorry, I know you said you aren't on Gold Coast, but in general?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by callie.rocky
hey there, i'm really arachnophobic and was worried when i emigrated from the UK that I would basically be chased down the street by the little suckers....i can happily say that is not the case and to be honest you don't really see that many. They are there but they live in their little spider world and we live in ours so we pass each other by without even knowing - all good. Enjoy ur holiday
Thanks to you both
I will enjoy it, we haven't been on holiday since moving here, because of our work, so really looking forward to it, the spider issue is the only cloud on the horizon.
I know it is an irrational fear, but I cant even bear pictures of them. Hubs said that he was in the pool one day and looked up and saw one in the tree, 'as big as your hand' he said. If I saw one like that, even if it was no-where near me, I would have to vacate the area
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Yep I have seen them, but they are up there in the sky so wont hurt you.
you see them alot? But what if they dangle down from their web? We are only there a week so am I likely to spot one? I will try my hardest not to seek them out, my hubs doesn't want me scarring our little daughter, she will be just under two when we are there.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

callie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to behold

you see them alot? But what if they dangle down from their web? We are only there a week so am I likely to spot one? I will try my hardest not to seek them out, my hubs doesn't want me scarring our little daughter, she will be just under two when we are there.
when i was in QLD they were in the lampposts at dusk/night and in rocks and other dark places. in the lampposts they are so far away that you won't even see them unless you specifically look. i would be very surprised if you see any at all unless you go looking. she'll be right mate
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I do see them a lot. I am a big scaredy cat LOL and they don't bother me. They don't dangle down from their webs. They are high up. Don't worry you will be fine. I have found with spiders as long as you don't bother them they will not come looking for you.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I do see them a lot. I am a big scaredy cat LOL and they don't bother me. They don't dangle down from their webs. They are high up. Don't worry you will be fine. I have found with spiders as long as you don't bother them they will not come looking for you.

Oh ok, that sounds like a good deal!
I am so looking forward to the trip, when hubs went he came back saying that he would love to live there and if it wasn't for the spiders and heat he thinks I will too
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really niceMhairi is just really nice

If it helps, I moved to Sydney 10 weeks ago and haven't seen a spider yet.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:40 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mhairi
If it helps, I moved to Sydney 10 weeks ago and haven't seen a spider yet.
They are advoiding you to trick you into a false sense of security before they attack.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:31 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

I was stung by a scorpion in Australia.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mackinnon
I was stung by a scorpion in Australia.
Where were you to be stung by a scorpion?

I really hate spiders but my OH who is Australian says that I generally won't see them although he did tell me one horror story of his brother in law finding a huntsman under his pillow!!!! Not that would scare the bejesus out of me! :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.