Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spiders and snake ect.

spiders and snake ect.

Old May 22nd 2004, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

woodruffs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spiders and snake ect.

Looking to visit australia, not sure which area to head for, as looking to start new life, problem is that the wife doesnt like spiders, any sugguestions??
Old May 22nd 2004, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spiders and snake ect.

Originally posted by woodruffs
Looking to visit australia, not sure which area to head for, as looking to start new life, problem is that the wife doesnt like spiders, any sugguestions??
I'm in coastal Sydney and I don't see any more spiders here than I saw in England. It's a media beat-up that they're lying in wait for you. Don't live anywhere too bushy and avoid putting your hand in woodpiles and you'll be fine.
Old May 22nd 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Buckinghamshire...
Old May 22nd 2004, 6:23 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

No snakes in NZ and only a couple of slightly bothersome but rare spiders...
Old May 22nd 2004, 8:26 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a 27 year old relative born and bred in Sydney whose never seen a snake.

As for spiders, you see a few people running down the road being chased by the big ones, but they're generally too large to get through the front door.......if you can make it home.
Old May 22nd 2004, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by diddy
I've got a 27 year old relative born and bred in Sydney whose never seen a snake.

As for spiders, you see a few people running down the road being chased by the big ones, but they're generally too large to get through the front door.......if you can make it home.

If you live in/near the bush you're more likely to see snakes. I am completely phobic about spiders & we got quite a few in & around our house (redbacks, whitetail, huntsman) & we live in a fairly suburban setting. However, you can get your house sprayed against them & since we did this about 3 months ago haven't seen a spider in or outside the house.
Old May 22nd 2004, 9:59 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Hahahaha. The same could be said for bunyips in the waterholes and yowies in the bush. Gotta watch both!
Old May 22nd 2004, 11:59 pm
wombat42

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wombat42
You should make your decision on where to live in Australia by
considering factors such as, job prospects, climate, lifestyle,
cost of housing etc. Making your decision on where to live based
on the number of snakes and spiders that live there is insane if you look at the facts. No one has been killed by a spider since the
1950's . No matter where you live you are going to see spiders
it is highly unlikely go will get bitten one, you are much more likely to be bitten by a wasp or a bee. If you live in a capital city the
only place you are likely to see a snake is in the zoo.
Even if you live in the bush you will probably rarely see a snake and if you do they will only ever attack you if you attack them or try to pick them up. Of the 3 people killed by snakes a year almost all of them tried to kill or pick up the snake.

Last edited by wombat42; May 23rd 2004 at 12:03 am.

Old May 23rd 2004, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wombat42
Originally posted by wombat42
You should make your decision on where to live in Australia by
considering factors such as, job prospects, climate, lifestyle,
cost of housing etc. Making your decision on where to live based
on the number of snakes and spiders that live there is insane if you look at the facts. No one has been killed by a spider since the
1950's . No matter where you live you are going to see spiders
it is highly unlikely go will get bitten one, you are much more likely to be bitten by a wasp or a bee. If you live in a capital city the
only place you are likely to see a snake is in the zoo.
Even if you live in the bush you will probably rarely see a snake and if you do they will only ever attack you if you attack them or try to pick them up. Of the 3 people killed by snakes a year almost all of them tried to kill or pick up the snake.

So, does that mean that they dont make good pets then?

Mark
Old May 23rd 2004, 3:29 am
ABCDiamond

I used to get more spiders in my house in UK than I do here, but then we do have an annual pest control done in the house here.

As for snakes, the only place I've ever been bitten by a poisonous snake was in the UK. But that's just me

Old May 23rd 2004, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Wow! Are there many of you diddymen in Oz?Do you often get caught in spider's webs?
Old May 23rd 2004, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bella
If you live in/near the bush you're more likely to see snakes. I am completely phobic about spiders & we got quite a few in & around our house (redbacks, whitetail, huntsman) & we live in a fairly suburban setting. However, you can get your house sprayed against them & since we did this about 3 months ago haven't seen a spider in or outside the house.
What's it like living in a house swarming with flies?
Old May 23rd 2004, 7:13 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by RAG62
Wow! Are there many of you diddymen in Oz?Do you often get caught in spider's webs?
The Diddmen and the inhabitants of the small village of Knottyash. Where they work the Jam Butty Mines, The Snuff Quaries, the Broken Biscuit Repair Works, The Treacle Wells and the Moggy Ranch:

Old May 23rd 2004, 7:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Megalania
The Diddmen and the inhabitants of the small village of Knottyash. Where they work the Jam Butty Mines, The Snuff Quaries, the Broken Biscuit Repair Works, The Treacle Wells and the Moggy Ranch:
The REAL photos of the REAL KnottyAsh can be found here:
http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/knottyash/

Yes it DOES Exist !

http://www.chucklebutty.co.uk/doddbio.html

Old May 23rd 2004, 7:40 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Beyond Our Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.