Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders and other things...information site

Spiders and other things...information site

Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:35 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spiders and other things...information site

There have been a few threads about spiders and other bugs - so I thought I'd share a good site I found today.

Lots of info on identification, location, bites, first aid and getting rid of them.

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

.I knew about some - Funnel Web, Red back, Whitetail (I've been bitten by one of them) as well as a few others.
What I didn't know was that SydneyFunnel Webs (the BAD ones) can be found down here in Victoria
Also didn't know the House spider can make you so sick.

Hope you find it useful.

Cas
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:41 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spiders and other things...information site

Hi Caroline,

so far have mangaed to miss the spider bites just covered in mozzies...I let little spiders hang around but just can't bring myself to leave the Huntsman even though not supposed to be as bad...he just looks so big and bounces around like zebedee.
Attached Thumbnails Spiders and other things...information site-zebedee.jpg  
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by annqldau
Hi Caroline,

so far have mangaed to miss the spider bites just covered in mozzies...I let little spiders hang around but just can't bring myself to leave the Huntsman even though not supposed to be as bad...he just looks so big and bounces around like zebedee.
I've been bit by a Whitetail which was damn painful, as I had a bad reaction.

Huntsman spiders are ugly too, but scardycats when it comes to humans.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
There have been a few threads about spiders and other bugs - so I thought I'd share a good site I found today.

Lots of info on identification, location, bites, first aid and getting rid of them.

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

.I knew about some - Funnel Web, Red back, Whitetail (I've been bitten by one of them) as well as a few others.
What I didn't know was that SydneyFunnel Webs (the BAD ones) can be found down here in Victoria
Also didn't know the House spider can make you so sick.

Hope you find it useful.

Cas
I has hit by some paper wasps half way down a set of steps today. Little b*st*rds. No visual warning (very small), just this intense burning sensation. Had to concentrate hard on getting down the stairs.

Sort of survived the bites, was killed by the fall scenario.

Pain passed after a few minutes.

WW
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:53 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Great site thanks! K sent! :scared:
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

we have the spider id chart on favourites - if the kids see a spider they come & check it on there - although they know what most of em look like

its a really good learning tool!!

ttfn

pootle26
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:01 pm
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

I found the exact same website over the weekend, and have since been trying to convince myself that I do want to go to oz!

Frightened my self stupid, trying to remember which bites you put a compression bandage on and which you don't.

currently saved as a favourite........................just in case I need to refer to it. :scared:
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pootle26
we have the spider id chart on favourites - if the kids see a spider they come & check it on there - although they know what most of em look like

its a really good learning tool!!

ttfn

pootle26
Great idea
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

i must admit - makes me laugh when you move the mouse over the spider & it wiggles

simple things n all that

pootle26
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tinkerbell
I found the exact same website over the weekend, and have since been trying to convince myself that I do want to go to oz!

Frightened my self stupid, trying to remember which bites you put a compression bandage on and which you don't.

currently saved as a favourite........................just in case I need to refer to it. :scared:

Course you do..it's great here..

Just be informed and you'll be fine.

Should get to know your snakes too !!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pootle26
i must admit - makes me laugh when you move the mouse over the spider & it wiggles

simple things n all that

pootle26
Yeah, I like doing that too......have o dmit it made me jump the first time though

Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:23 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Spiders and other things...information site

Remember emailing you Caroline before we came over, think Caroline Vafeas put me in touch with you .... didn't mention spiders then lulled me into false sense of security.

Don't worry tink we see more Huntsan than anything else and they keep you fit trying to catch...see photo...has been on before but my biggest one yet.

We did bring plumbers gas torch/burner with us which at time I'm tempted to use on spiders but so far have resisted.

Unbalanced just incase you need it as well... .
Attached Thumbnails Spiders and other things...information site-huntsman-spider.jpg   Spiders and other things...information site-huntsman-wall.jpg   Spiders and other things...information site-unbalanced.jpg  
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:25 pm
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: F***ing hell :scared:
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by annqldau
Remember emailing you Caroline before we came over, think Caroline Vafeas put me in touch with you .... didn't mention spiders then lulled me into false sense of security.

Don't worry tink we see more Huntsan than anything else and they keep you fit trying to catch...see photo...has been on before but my biggest one yet.

We did bring plumbers gas torch/burner with us which at time I'm tempted to use on spiders but so far have resisted.

Unbalanced just incase you need it as well... .
Hehe...that first one is a big one.....does he have his own bed.....or does he creep into yours at night ?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
I has hit by some paper wasps half way down a set of steps today. Little b*st*rds. No visual warning (very small), just this intense burning sensation. Had to concentrate hard on getting down the stairs.

Sort of survived the bites, was killed by the fall scenario.

Pain passed after a few minutes.

WW
what the hell are paper wasps, i hate wasps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.