Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders and other horrible things!

Spiders and other horrible things!

Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Spiders and other horrible things!

When you first arrive in oz, into your nice rented house,are you constantly checking shoes and bedcovers etc? If so, how long does it last until your more relaxed?

The nearer the time comes to the move, the more I think about them!

Seeing that other post about the spiders has made me feel all creepy.

Mandy
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:51 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spiders and other horrible things!

Originally posted by scrawni
When you first arrive in oz, into your nice rented house,are you constantly checking shoes and bedcovers etc? If so, how long does it last until your more relaxed?

The nearer the time comes to the move, the more I think about them!

Seeing that other post about the spiders has made me feel all creepy.

Mandy
Like a sweaty nightmare, your foreboding arachnophobia foretells a ruinous end.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Dilly's is an unknown quantity at this point

I know exactly how you feel about the spider issues. Self wife and two kids are (sorry Were) all extremely scared of the buggers.

However, I plucked up enough courage to put us all on a fear of spiders course at London Zoo. Youngest particularly not impressed as day of course was her ninth birthday!!!

Course takes an afternoon to do and I can definatately say it works. We all managed to finish the session by catching a large house spider and hold a Tarantula!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kid you not, we (particularly me) were scared of spiders. Whilst I know I'm not going to keep them as pets, I feel confident enough to deal with them and remove them. To see my 9 and 10 yr old actually keen to pick a spider up is truly emotional as they caught their fear from seeing me run around a room shrieking at the thought of even possibly seeing a spider.

There was about 20 people on the course and during the session lots of tears, shrieks and emotions from different people. However, everybody achieved things they never believed possible.

We are off the Brisbane on 12th May and my one main fear has now significantly reduced.

Give it a try!!!!!

PS: I have no connection to the Zoo, other than we all now are forever in their debt.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road

Hi Dilly,

That sounds absoloutely fab, i am very scared of spiders, and have in turn made my daughter very scared, do they run the course very often, we are going to live in Perth on the 2nd May!!

I could squeeze in an afternoon of torture b4 then!!:scared:

Do you just contact the zoo??

Cheeers Angie x
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:44 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I don't think about them but I freak as soon as I see one and zap them with fly spray or hit them with a shoe. I am not frightened of spiders but its the bite that worries me.

I think more of coming across a snake. So far so good not seen one

Jo
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:49 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been here for 8 weeks and I am much less aware of the bugs and nasties than I was. I'm now brave enough to get the letters out of the postbox and dont think about checking shoes etc. Still wont bring the washing in though as in my first week a spider jumped out of line at me! Am also a little bit obsessive about spraying the doors and windows with barrier spray!
It does get better though!
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:53 am
Badge

In 16 months I have seen one Huntsman and a White Tail, INSIDE both the same 2 consecutive days. Last week. As a result of the colder nights. Barrier Spray seems to have done the trick.

BM

Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi there BB

The courses are only every couple of months or so. The one last night was the only one before May.

Contact is through zsl.co.uk

Look for the links to Friendly Spider Programme. I think other zoos do the courses and maybe you could find one before you go. If so I really would recommend them.

Good luck in finding a course as well as your move to Oz.

Cheers

Paul
Old Apr 18th 2004, 11:35 am
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

Never had a problem with spiders or scorpions. Saw a pretty big huntman last night at a friends place, it was about 6 inches from side to side. They're harmless really. This one was quite dark in colour, almost black. Just gotta remember that they're more scared of you than you are of them.

However, they aren't everywhere. Like you don't really have to check shoes and stuff. I've lived in some pretty leafy and humid places where insects and arachnids are plentiful and the only places you really see them is in the corner of a room. Don't worry about it.

As for the thing of finding spiders under toilet seats, that's a little innacurate. They're really refering to the classic outside toilet/dunnie. You won't find them indoors like that. We had a laundry that had a door directly out onto the back garden and you'd find female redbacks under the laundry sink. We also used to have thousands of millipedes and a few giant centipedes come through too.

Probably the biggest insect/arachnid I've actually seen here was a scorpion. About 8 inches from head to back, jet black. We don't have any lethal scorpions in Australia though, so no worries there.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road

Probably the biggest insect/arachnid I've actually seen here was a scorpion. About 8 inches from head to back, jet black. We don't have any lethal scorpions in Australia though, so no worries there. [/QUOTE]

OH THATS OK THEN!!!!!!!!!
:scared:
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:18 pm
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

ah, yeh. i guess.

It's the Bunyips and Dropbears you've really got to be careful of.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 6:38 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Dilly's
Hi there BB

The courses are only every couple of months or so. The one last night was the only one before May.

Contact is through zsl.co.uk

Look for the links to Friendly Spider Programme. I think other zoos do the courses and maybe you could find one before you go. If so I really would recommend them.

Good luck in finding a course as well as your move to Oz.

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul

Sorry to ask but how much is the course.........

Sounds just what I and my 15 yr old daughter need !

Nikki x
Old Apr 18th 2004, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nikki

Course was £55 for child and £110 for adult. Started and 2.45pm and finished around 7pm. We asked the course blokey and he said we could visit the zoo for the day and let us in a side gate.

Course included a discussion on why we dont like them, what we do when we see them and then a guy in charge of the spider house gives a chat about spiders and how they live and what they do. There is then a Hypnosis session (really just a relaxation group session) and lastly a visit to the bug house to test the new skills.

They dont force you to do anything you dont want to do and no spiders or media of them is used in the session before the bug house.

The bug house is optional and every last one of us went. This was really interesting and my children wouldnt even walk near the spiders on display in the bug house earlier that day when we did a recce!

You are provided with a certificate once you have managed to calmly catch and walk around with a house spider. You are all given a pot and card to show how to catch and disperse of em. This is truly eye opening as everybody does it. About 85% actually progress to the tarantula and have a photo taken whilst holding it. Kids and wife managed a photo, I managed to hold it but not long enough for a photo. Feel a bit dissapointed today, but I would never have even done that two days ago.

I think other zoos are a little cheaper (Bristol from memory of my searching), but I remember seeing Londons course on TV many years ago so went for that.

If you can do it TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!! It did work. In fact, I am today spider hunting to prove to myself I'm in charge here.

If you have any questions let me know

Cheers
Paul
Old Apr 18th 2004, 10:04 pm

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

hI Paul

thanks for that my hubbie picks them up by the legs!!!!!!

I will prob go!!!

Nikki x
Old Apr 19th 2004, 1:07 am
Die Hard Freo Fan

Simmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spider's and other nasties....

Hi Guys
I have lived in Western Australia for about 8 years now and before I came here I had a pretty bad fear of spiders, cockroaches etc. I work outdoors on Golf courses especially and to tell you the truth even though I am in an enviroment where I would see them on a regular basis, I very rarely do. We get a lot of redbacks over here, but they are really very small and you get to know where they will be hiding, you just get into the habit of gardening in gloves or being careful when you lift plant pots or peices or wood etc. In my line of work I am regularly sticking my hands in machinery into the sorts of places spiders like to build nests and touch wood have never been biten.
The Huntsmen get a lot bigger but they are harmless, and just llok worse due to their size, but again I very rarely see them, like someone else posted I am more concerened about snakes and have seen quite a few ,up close and personal........but then I work intheir enviroment so you expect it....I guess it is like swimming in the sea and being suprised to see sharks.

All in all your fear is understandable, but in all honestly you have nothing to worry about, my wife has been in Australia 20 years and never seen a Huntsman or been in the remotest proximity to a snake.
Don't worry...
Simon