Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spiders in northern beaches,sydney

spiders in northern beaches,sydney

Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Default spiders in northern beaches,sydney

hi there,
i just wanted a bit of help about spiders in the northern beaches of sydney. i live in allambie heights and this morning woke up to find a massive spider on my bedroom wall. we got a photo of it and spoke to a couple of neighbours as we were ---- scared. they said it was only a tarantula (huntsman) and not to worry. apparantly they r common in the area. does anyone know anything about this and what we can possibly do to keep them away. 1 neighbour said they tend to come in for shelter when its raining heavy and it chucked it down in the middle of the night.
i dont think i will get much sleep 2nite as i hate big, hairy spiders
cheers for any thoughts/ideas etc
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:40 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: spiders in northern beaches,sydney

Originally Posted by threlly
hi there,
i just wanted a bit of help about spiders in the northern beaches of sydney. i live in allambie heights and this morning woke up to find a massive spider on my bedroom wall. we got a photo of it and spoke to a couple of neighbours as we were ---- scared. they said it was only a tarantula (huntsman) and not to worry. apparantly they r common in the area. does anyone know anything about this and what we can possibly do to keep them away. 1 neighbour said they tend to come in for shelter when its raining heavy and it chucked it down in the middle of the night.
Bloody hell S - you've only been there two minutes and you've won a Huntsman already.

Lots of previous threads on this and other spiders - some say that they let them roam free in the house as they eat everything else

Could you go to sleep knowing that Harry the Huntsman was sat in the corner winking at you??

They really shift mind you, so you have to catch it before you can hit it.

Good luck

Jim
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

davykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud of

hi there,
never mind the big hairy bloody spider what do you mean it was raining
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Sarah

What about getting your house sprayed hun

Anyway Huntsman are fine its the other ones in Sydney you need to worry about :scared: ...... Sorry!

Sue x
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

hi there,

OMG.. :scared: :scared: .....I am so glad it was the night i went home Sarah!!! I would have S##T myself and so would our Joe...

Think you need too sort out all the gaps under the doors... :scared: anything could walk in LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJL family
OMG.. :scared: :scared: .....I am so glad it was the night i went home Sarah!!! I would have S##T myself and so would our Joe...

Think you need too sort out all the gaps under the doors... :scared: anything could walk in LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiya hun...your back in Qld then....you want to meet for a coffee

Sue x
Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Sue2]Hiya hun...your back in Qld then....you want to meet for a coffee

Sue x[/QUOTE

Hiya Sue....got back yesterday, bin sortin a few things out - was gonna get in touch with you......am defo up for a coffee cause i want to hear all about your house...workin on monday then i'am free all week.

speak to you soon xxxx les
Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Wicked...will give you a ring to sort it out

Sue x

[QUOTE=JJL family]
Originally Posted by Sue2
Hiya hun...your back in Qld then....you want to meet for a coffee

Sue x[/QUOTE

Hiya Sue....got back yesterday, bin sortin a few things out - was gonna get in touch with you......am defo up for a coffee cause i want to hear all about your house...workin on monday then i'am free all week.

speak to you soon xxxx les
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:48 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

hi there,
I was staying in brisbane once, went to the pub and came home and went into the kitchen to make toasted sarnies. I seen a huntsman (my first ever!). I threw an ashtray at it and it just clipped it. I swear to God the thing looked at me as if to say " I'll remember you ya bitch" LOL. Fair scared the shit out of me!!!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:50 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I was staying in brisbane once, went to the pub and came home and went into the kitchen to make toasted sarnies. I seen a huntsman (my first ever!). I threw an ashtray at it and it just clipped it. I swear to God the thing looked at me as if to say " I'll remember you ya bitch" LOL. Fair scared the shit out of me!!!
PS: They are not Tarantulas but could possibly be related. Tarantulas and Funnel Webs kill. Funnel Webs are the worlds most deadly spider. if you get bitten by a Funnel Web try try try to catch it or else be very very sure on what they look like, so they administer the correct anti-venom.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwichild
PS: They are not Tarantulas but could possibly be related. Tarantulas and Funnel Webs kill. Funnel Webs are the worlds most deadly spider. if you get bitten by a Funnel Web try try try to catch it or else be very very sure on what they look like, so they administer the correct anti-venom.
As far as I know Huntsman are harmless they just look mean as shit.