Reload this Page >

Spiders living near Melbourne / Lara / werribee

Spiders living near Melbourne / Lara / werribee

Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:40 pm
Austrailia future

Lucydeanjacob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spiders living near Melbourne / Lara / werribee

Hi everyone

so every things moving now and we are moving to Weribee or Lara in 6 months 😬 very excited and slightly nervous now !

im just wondering are spiders a issue ? We are looking at the more modern houses and not too rural. How often do you come across spiders ? I am actually terrified of them ! The whole family is !
Old Feb 24th 2020, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders living near Melbourne / Lara / werribee

How long is a piece of string?

An unanswerable question!

Spiders occur everywhere!
Old Feb 24th 2020, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And spiders probably do not much like humans !
Old Feb 24th 2020, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Any boring spiders in the house I leave them alone unless the wife insists they are evicted. They eat other bugs so they're fine by me. I've only ever seen redbacks in the yard, and very rarely. You leave them, they leave you. The occurrence of spiders is similar to that in England - no big deal.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be scared of spiders, OH would laugh at me but would also put them out of the house.

However, I decided that as a botanist and zoologist, I could not in all conscience encourage my daughter to also be scared of anything that wasn't really dangerous in the big scheme of things.

I managed to train myself not to squeal very loudly, then do it very quietly, and finally be silent by the time she was about 6 months old.

It worked, my daughter is not afraid of spiders ....... but at 18 months old did have to be told very firmly by her father NOT to put her fingers down a hole that looked very much like a brown snake hidey hole somewhere on the Nullarbor She wanted to know what lived down there!

There is now a lot of evidence that children "catch" being scared of insects, spiders, thunder and lightening, spooky places, etc by their parents, and possibly especially by their mothers. And, yes, I was scared of thunder but managed to hide that from my daughter until she was 6 or 7, by which time she loved watching and hearing thunder and lightening.

To answer the OP question ........... yes, there are spiders in Australia. Probably at least as many as in the UK, Canada, the US or anywhere else in the world.

Yes, sometimes they come into your house, just as they do everywhere, But they eat worse insects like flies, mosquitoes etc.

You might have to go to the Arctic or Antarctica before you find a spider-free place because it would be too blinking cold for them ....... but I wouldn't like to guarantee even that!
Old Feb 25th 2020, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I actually see less spiders around the house here than I did in the UK. Learn which ones can give you a nasty bite and which are useful. Some are big and scary but not dangerous.

If you really do not want any in the house you can fumigate and get barrier sprays.
Old Feb 25th 2020, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there will be spiders, some of them can make you rather sick but it'll be very much luck of the draw as to whether you get bitten or not. Nobody can assure you you won't see them but fumigation (which probably isn't the best for your health either) can certainly reduce your sighting of them. You'll get used to them.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 4:34 am
Just Joined

davey6693 is an unknown quantity at this point

Further north than VIC, but I've only seen a couple of smaller (still bigger than anything I saw back in Canada) Huntsman spiders. The two I caught were very happy to bugger off as soon as I let them out.

One thing that has helped a lot with perspective is this: unless you've aggravated a funnel web spider or a red back, then you're probably dealing with something that very likely won't give you anything more than a wasp sting on the pain scale. And they can't fly. Or swarm, And they have no interest in coming to bother you when you're out having a bite to eat. So basically in my book far less to worry about than European wasps.

The main thing to keep in mind is they want nothing to do with you.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davey6693
Further north than VIC, but I've only seen a couple of smaller (still bigger than anything I saw back in Canada) Huntsman spiders. The two I caught were very happy to bugger off as soon as I let them out.

One thing that has helped a lot with perspective is this: unless you've aggravated a funnel web spider or a red back, then you're probably dealing with something that very likely won't give you anything more than a wasp sting on the pain scale. And they can't fly. Or swarm, And they have no interest in coming to bother you when you're out having a bite to eat. So basically in my book far less to worry about than European wasps.

The main thing to keep in mind is they want nothing to do with you.
Well then again you also have wasps in Australia and hornets of course.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 8:37 pm
Austrailia future

Lucydeanjacob is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone !

🤣🤣🤣 I know there not going to be coming for me and minding their own business but I don’t know how is cope if I came across a massive huntsman in the house 😬😬

And my partner is just as bad 🤣

it’s something I’m just going to have to deal with I’ve just heard horrer stories of them hideing in car etc and it’s making me worried !

I very rarely come across them in the U.K. so if it’s the same in Aus I’ll be ok.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the drop bears that keep me awake! https://australianmuseum.net.au/lear...als/drop-bear/ But again I don't expect to come across any. If I do, the wife's well-hard from Bradford, she'll protect me.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucydeanjacob
Thanks everyone !

🤣🤣🤣 I know there not going to be coming for me and minding their own business but I don’t know how is cope if I came across a massive huntsman in the house 😬😬

And my partner is just as bad 🤣

it’s something I’m just going to have to deal with I’ve just heard horrer stories of them hideing in car etc and it’s making me worried !

I very rarely come across them in the U.K. so if it’s the same in Aus I’ll be ok.
Spiders everywhere, dangerous too. But then nearly everything here wants to bite you, poison you, strangle you, if not kill you. Are you sure Australia is the right place for you?
Old Feb 29th 2020, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be more wary of the Bogans than the spiders.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 12:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I would be more wary of the Bogans than the spiders.
Have you spent a lot of time living in Lara or Werribee?
Old Feb 29th 2020, 2:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucydeanjacob
Hi everyone

so every things moving now and we are moving to Weribee or Lara in 6 months 😬 very excited and slightly nervous now !

im just wondering are spiders a issue ? We are looking at the more modern houses and not too rural. How often do you come across spiders ? I am actually terrified of them ! The whole family is !
Those places are absolutely teeming with spiders - they are known spider hot spots - especially the deadly ones, which are really f**king deadly

Avoid those areas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.