Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spiders on the Gold Coast.....

spiders on the Gold Coast.....

Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of
Default spiders on the Gold Coast.....

Hi,
We are moving to Oz in about 3 months, and although I've obviously thought about spiders and creepy crawlies in general I never thought they would cause us any big problems, however...
I have just been reading through a few threads on here and can say I am sh**ting myself, how common is it to have to deal with the venomous spiders??????? I knew we would see things and have to be careful, teach the kids about them, etc, but am getting the feeling that I might be doing more than this- or have a few people on here just been unfortunate??

Anyone???

Donna x
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:25 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spiders on the Gold Coast.....

Originally Posted by dh1905
Hi,
We are moving to Oz in about 3 months, and although I've obviously thought about spiders and creepy crawlies in general I never thought they would cause us any big problems, however...
I have just been reading through a few threads on here and can say I am sh**ting myself, how common is it to have to deal with the venomous spiders??????? I knew we would see things and have to be careful, teach the kids about them, etc, but am getting the feeling that I might be doing more than this- or have a few people on here just been unfortunate??

Anyone???

Donna x

Donna,

It's the same where ever you go. There's a couple of redbacks in the garage which I'll kill when I get round to it, but they're not doing any harm and you see a few huntsman.

Fortunately, despite being spotted near Brisbane there's not Funnel Webs here.....yet.

Paul.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: spiders on the Gold Coast.....

Originally Posted by diddy
Donna,

It's the same where ever you go. There's a couple of redbacks in the garage which I'll kill when I get round to it, but they're not doing any harm and you see a few huntsman.

Fortunately, despite being spotted near Brisbane there's not Funnel Webs here.....yet.

Paul.

That sounds better than I have been sat here imaginaning, I really need to stop looking at the spider pages now before I start cancelling the shippers, flights....!!

Cheers Paul, maybe we could get you a pint in the future for your reassurance

Donna x
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:39 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds better than I have been sat here imaginaning, I really need to stop looking at the spider pages now before I start cancelling the shippers, flights....!!

Cheers Paul, maybe we could get you a pint in the future for your reassurance

Donna x

Sorry, I wasn't too reassuring eh?

Although you see spiders, they really don't bother you. You pretty much forget the whole issue and when you see a redback, you just stand on it or smack it with something. You really don't think about it much when here.

But as for the snakes, croc's, sharks, stingers........
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by diddy
Sorry, I wasn't too reassuring eh?

Although you see spiders, they really don't bother you. You pretty much forget the whole issue and when you see a redback, you just stand on it or smack it with something. You really don't think about it much when here.

But as for the snakes, croc's, sharks, stingers........
No you were reassuring, honest!! Until you reminded me of the water lurking creatures, bl**dy hell!! Hubby is gonna want to stay here and carry on getting brain freeze diving in the Lake District at this rate!!
All nature documentaries/animal related threads and pics are banned in this house now :scared: lol
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

coast101 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Anyone???

Donna x

Had a so called Xmas Beetle in our garden last night :scared: :scared:
Never seen anything so big :scared:

1 can of bug spray and hit it with the brush gone!!

I hate them as well, but you dont see that many.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coast101

lol! I'm not even asking what that looked like!!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

coast101 is on a distinguished road

lol! I'm not even asking what that looked like!!
Even the dog wouldnt go outside!!

When we sprayed it it flew at us nearly had a heartattack :scared:
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: spiders on the Gold Coast.....

Paul and Coast101,
Are you both living on the Gold Coast? Enjoying it?

We are moving out in early April and scared but looking forward to it

Donna x
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:16 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Donna,

did ya see any creepy crawlies when ya went to Oz for a visit?
I'm like you...terrrrrified! I haven't even got a brave hubby to help cos he is more scared than me!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:39 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Paul and Coast101,
Are you both living on the Gold Coast? Enjoying it?

We are moving out in early April and scared but looking forward to it

Donna x
Yep, it's a great spot. I counldn't now imagine living any where else. We tried Port Stephens down south and Helensvale on the coast and at those stages really didn't like living here, but since moving to Southport about a month ago things have really worked out.

My other half doesn't drive so the beauty of Southport is everything is on the doorstep - beaches, kindy's, pool, shops, libraries, cinema's, pubs, RSL's ect

Plus, with the Gold Coast you have all the benefit's of doing the touristy things when you want, usually for a lower price coz you live here.

Paul.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Christmas beetles used to be everywhere at this time of year, now they are nearly extinct. Why do recent migrants feel constrained to kill anything that moves? What is wrong with live and let live?

Just lay off the cicadas!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

It is amazing how quickly you get used to the bugs and stuff. Cockroaches are now killed without the dramas that we had when we first arrived and we sit there watching the geckos on the wall without bothering. My daughter is most unconcerned that she has seen 2 snakes at school. Still not looking forward to seeing a huntsman though !!!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest my wife was terrified of them before we got here, but you just get used to it, as you would with any insect in the UK.

They might look bad but you just dont fight with them :scared:

Here a pic of one taken the other week in ours, the only thing is I didn't have the red eye reduction on
Attached Thumbnails spiders on the Gold Coast.....-dscn0901.jpg  
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

A poor Xmas beetle????!!!! Bloody 'ell!

Watch out Santa! Incoming!

I'll send you down our possums and fruit bats. They'll give you something to worry about. :scared:
WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.