Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spiders? even if house is sprayed etc?

Spiders? even if house is sprayed etc?

Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Question Spiders? even if house is sprayed etc?

Just wondering, alot of houses are sprayed etc for bugs. Does that mean that you will hardly get any?

We have just moved into rental, been sprayed etc but still get a few spiders, is this normal. Not seen anything major but would just like to know.

Mandy
Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:50 am
scoobydoo

Default Re: Spiders? even if house is sprayed etc?

Originally Posted by scrawni
Just wondering, alot of houses are sprayed etc for bugs. Does that mean that you will hardly get any?

We have just moved into rental, been sprayed etc but still get a few spiders, is this normal. Not seen anything major but would just like to know.

Mandy

I'm sure it doesn't get rid of everything. We havn't had our house officially sprayed but we did just go round the doorframes etc with stuff you can buy.

I have found that it is the large cockroaches which are hard to kill!!
They do not even seem bothered by super - strong insect killer. I wonder if some species are getting immune to the stuff??!

I guess we just have to learn to live with them!

Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:01 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

A spray won't necessarily get rid of everything and spiders I think come back anyway after about three months.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
I'm sure it doesn't get rid of everything. We havn't had our house officially sprayed but we did just go round the doorframes etc with stuff you can buy.

They do not even seem bothered by super - strong insect killer. I wonder if some species are getting immune to the stuff??!

We've put cockroach bates in a few corners in the house - so I've only seen a few dried out roaches in the 9 months we've been here. We use the surface spray all the way round the house, every three months - and we've got one of those sonar things (not sure it really works). We do get the occasional skinny spider in the hall - but no redbacks or other scary things...so far!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We moved into a rental in Scarborough a couple of weeks ago. The property had been empty for a couple of months but so far all we have seen are the daddy long legs spiders. Not seen any whitetails or redbacks.

I've even hacked my way through the garden and not come across anything nasty yet (to my relief )

I wonder if it's worse in summer
Old Sep 13th 2004, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scoobydoo

Considering that they are the only creature which will survive a nuclear war...I don't think a lot of sprays touch them. lol
Surface sprays to keep them away are probably best.

You used to be able to (don't know if you still can) get cockroach bombs. Set it offf and leave house for a certain amount of time. It gets into all the nooks and crannies. Oh and don't leave pets or children behind.

Last edited by Ushas; Sep 13th 2004 at 6:13 am.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Spiders really won't even bother you if you routinely clean the house.

cockroaches however are the eternal pest. Now is the time to get those roach traps put down. We found they really cut down the numbers.

To answer the other posters comments - yes they are pretty much seasonal in Sydney. during the winter you don't see them...summer however they are everywhere.

spiders tend to make themselves known in the house during wet weather periods, thoug hwe realy get just about none of them.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Can any Perth people tell me what the Cockroach problem is like in Perth? Do you get them all summer?
Old Sep 13th 2004, 9:13 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkless
Can any Perth people tell me what the Cockroach problem is like in Perth? Do you get them all summer?
Can't tell you about the problem in Perth but the easiest way to get them in the first place is by wearing outdoor shoes indoors. I laughed when I was told but most Aussies take their shoes off at your door and all the "yachties" I've met swear that's how they get onto boats.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 9:33 am
heehaugh

Granger will become famous soon enoughGranger will become famous soon enough

I travelled all of Australia a few years back, and will be hopefully settling in Perth next June. What I found was that Brisbane was absolutely full of cockroaches and Melbourne etc was full of flies (but no cockroaches), the ones that will repeateadly try to get up your nose and in your mouth. Hence the hats with cork screws around them Perth did not appear to have any cockroaches, so hope that helps you a little.
Old Sep 13th 2004, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

We've had about 5 spiders since we moved in, 3 of which came in the new furniture ( beware !!! :scared: ). one was so small i couldn't tell what it was ( it was also dead, our son callum totally minced it with a magazine in a startled frenzy) and the other was this big bas@@@d of a huntsman that i soon disposed of with the sole of my shoe ( i only discoved it was a " freindly" spider once dead ).

We've also had one flying cockroache and three small lizards ( one of them was in callums wardrobe , Shannon ( aged 7 ) keeps walking round cooing " i've got the best bedroom ", wait 'till the redbacks come )

Paul
Old Sep 13th 2004, 11:41 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
We've had about 5 spiders since we moved in, 3 of which came in the new furniture ( beware !!! :scared: ). one was so small i couldn't tell what it was ( it was also dead, our son callum totally minced it with a magazine in a startled frenzy) and the other was this big bas@@@d of a huntsman that i soon disposed of with the sole of my shoe ( i only discoved it was a " freindly" spider once dead ).

We've also had one flying cockroache and three small lizards ( one of them was in callums wardrobe , Shannon ( aged 7 ) keeps walking round cooing " i've got the best bedroom ", wait 'till the redbacks come )

Paul
Call me weird, but I love spiders and all (except roaches) things that crawl.
Some of the littlest Aussie spiders can be poisonous, so be careful. It's the big hulking Huntsmans that are inoffensive.

Btw, if your house has any wood in it, get it treated at least once a year for Termites, otherwise they can literally eat your house!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Call me weird, but I love spiders and all (except roaches) things that crawl.
Some of the littlest Aussie spiders can be poisonous, so be careful. It's the big hulking Huntsmans that are inoffensive.

Btw, if your house has any wood in it, get it treated at least once a year for Termites, otherwise they can literally eat your house!

OMY - you are weird big time. Huntsmen are not inoffensive. They may be physically harmless but to some of us they are mentally life threatening. I don't give a toss what size they are, they are not welcome.

Again - you are weird
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

excuse me, can someone further clarify the term 'flying cockroach'!

can cockroaches fly? can you smell the fear?

honeybob...
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:36 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Granger
I travelled all of Australia a few years back, and will be hopefully settling in Perth next June. What I found was that Brisbane was absolutely full of cockroaches and Melbourne etc was full of flies (but no cockroaches), the ones that will repeateadly try to get up your nose and in your mouth. Hence the hats with cork screws around them Perth did not appear to have any cockroaches, so hope that helps you a little.

Sorry guys you DO GET ROACHES in Perth and if you see the babies, be sure the big fat mama is close behind - eweeeeweeee makes my skin crwal just thinking about it. Spiders I can live with , but even the Aussie rels hate the roaches.

Jill
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.