spiders

Old Jul 27th 2003, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

bazza&vicki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spiders

hi,
is it normal that we would come across poisonous or large spiders in a built up residential area or are more in rural areas,and on what frequency do people see spiders in and around the house?

thanks worried!!!!!
Old Jul 27th 2003, 8:49 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: spiders

Originally posted by bazza&vicki
hi,
is it normal that we would come across poisonous or large spiders in a built up residential area or are more in rural areas,and on what frequency do people see spiders in and around the house?

thanks worried!!!!!

I presume you are going to Australia? I remember crawling under the house as a kid and seeing loads of redbacks, and I am sure on a few occasions we stayed in hotels because of funnel webs (once) and fumigations (a few times, though just a precaution).

You will see them I am sure, but they are not just going to go for you, and don't tend to live WITH people as such. Just check your slippers and check under the toilet seat

Seriously, I wouldn't be that concerned. They have antidotes for all the spiders now (or the worst ones anyway).

Apparently cats are immune to funnelwebs....

So, don't be too concerned, but at the same time, don't do anything daft like running though long grass/the bush with no shoes and you will be fine. You probably won't even think about it after a little while..
Old Jul 27th 2003, 9:36 pm
plumber39

From what i,ve heard if they're any bigger than your hand their harmless.

ps Steve Irwin and the bear foot bush Tucker man are close friend's of mine!

Old Jul 28th 2003, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I HATE SPIDERS and for the first 12 months I lived in my house I was getting them in every couple of days,(this is in a suburb 11KMS from CBD in a brand new house). I had screens on all windows but I had to go around putting draught preventor on the bottom of doors, foam along the tracks of sliding screen (so they couldn't come underneath) and I go around all entrances every 3 months with a bug spray to make sure that I have a pest barrier as well as all the physical barriers.

Well it's worked I've not had one in for 6 months and and the 6 months before that the only one that made it inside I found was dead. Don't know what sort they were but they were BIG, 2-3 inch leg span.