Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A spider question

A spider question

Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Jacqueline10 will become famous soon enoughJacqueline10 will become famous soon enough
Default A spider question

This is a burning question, me being a 'tad' scared of the eight legged critters, i've always wanted to know if this is true..

I was told whilst in Australia that they (spiders) can jump..at you if they feel threatened..now i don't know if this was a wind up but the one named in particular was the wolf spider, because it has a nasty temperament..

Ive now got an obsession that all spiders can jump (after seeing one swinging from my light fitting, jumping onto my settee and making a dash for it ) in England!

Can anybody say this is rubbish or this does happen..

Just wondered, ive read a lot of threads on here to do with spiders but i havent found any mentioning their jumping ability!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:06 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A spider question

Originally Posted by Jacqueline10
This is a burning question, me being a 'tad' scared of the eight legged critters, i've always wanted to know if this is true..

I was told whilst in Australia that they (spiders) can jump..at you if they feel threatened..now i don't know if this was a wind up but the one named in particular was the wolf spider, because it has a nasty temperament..

Ive now got an obsession that all spiders can jump (after seeing one swinging from my light fitting, jumping onto my settee and making a dash for it ) in England!

Can anybody say this is rubbish or this does happen..

Just wondered, ive read a lot of threads on here to do with spiders but i havent found any mentioning their jumping ability!
You can rest assured they don't jump. Most are far too big to get off the ground!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:09 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
You can rest assured they don't jump. Most are far too big to get off the ground!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Jacqueline10 will become famous soon enoughJacqueline10 will become famous soon enough

Honestly? they dont jump?

Ive seen plenty plenty big spiders, been there many times,, they scare the crap out of me ,, but at the back of my mind its always been is it going to jump...arrghhh, thats me running into the house (anybodys house will do ha ha) to get away..

thats very good news...
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

NatD1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about jumping, but some of them don't like Brooms'.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bBXgpehCcc
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:40 am
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
the huntsman jumps... have a search on you tube... scary!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:41 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sssstew
the huntsman jumps... have a search on you tube... scary!
have loads of huntsmans in and around the house never seen em jump they can run like buggery though
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:45 am
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

have loads of huntsmans in and around the house never seen em jump they can run like buggery though
urrghh makes me shudder!

we didnt think they could until we watched Katie and Peter on ITV2 one night and they had one which jumped up her arm, so we then searched on the net and low and behold they do which makes them even scarier!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

yeah i saw that with katie and peter, the huntsmen having a wander up her arm,, that was a tidgy jump,, im just wondering the 'beautys' that are around in Oz can they really do a big jump, you know from wall in the hallway onto your back as your running away!!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NatD1978
Not sure about jumping, but some of them don't like Brooms'.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bBXgpehCcc
Oh yes, air vents!!! when i go to oz i keep a beady eye on those things, and the air conditioning vents!!

i know huntsmen watch you! they are clever creatures, i nearly danced the tango with one at my mums house once,, little () bugger was going my way each time i tried to dodge it! why cant they look like kittens for god sake
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:01 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

also hang on to your car when you go round sharp corners
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by walaj
also hang on to your car when you go round sharp corners
Why? ....ive never had one in the car when ive been there, thank god, but ive heard of the 'sun visor' favourite hiding spot...however i did have one run out when i was at a petrol station once, it was going like the clappers running all over my wind screen and over the top of my car,, i grabbed a lady who knocked it off with her purse!! ,, i was so pleased with that!! bit embarrased though
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:24 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacqueline10
Why?
was on the outside, although when I first saw it in the rearview mirror I was not sure. Was entering a car park at the time, and kept seeing it run around the car in the mirrors while it took an age to find a space on a busy Saturday.

When I parked (3yr old) DD had noticed it on her window, OH on the same side did not want to get out. I get out and the bugger sprints across roof (wagon so it is a long one), OH eventually joins me to try & rid the car of the invader.

We failed in looking cool in front of DD & born & bred Aussies passerbys with our tackling of the local wildlife
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

My husband was driving the car and a huge huntsman landed on the top of his head and crawled down his face He did unfortuantely hit the car in front. Luckily our 4wd car came off fine. The next day we were out again and exactly the same thing happened again and the spider crawled down his face. We managed to stop the car this time and send the little bugger on his travels. I always check the sunvisor and am quite paranoid when I drive to work each day now!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Josie1100
My husband was driving the car and a huge huntsman landed on the top of his head and crawled down his face He did unfortuantely hit the car in front. Luckily our 4wd car came off fine. The next day we were out again and exactly the same thing happened again and the spider crawled down his face. We managed to stop the car this time and send the little bugger on his travels. I always check the sunvisor and am quite paranoid when I drive to work each day now!!!!

Now that is my worst nightmare scenario,,,oh my!!

Ive got goosebumps just imagining that,,,

I can imagine it in all honesty been so dangerous if that happened in such an enclosed space...i can just about cope when they are outside,,in the house i get worse, panic time..but in the car...crawling on my head and down my face..im sorry to say this but i think i would literally crap my pants , ..

I need therapy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.