Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spider extermination

spider extermination

Old Feb 16th 2004, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough
Default spider extermination

As someone with aracnophobia I am keen to get the pest controllers in to rid the house of the nasty critters (specially after nearly having a heart attack finding the biggest spider I ever saw in the bedroom). Anyone done this? Does it work? Any suggestions?

Bella
Old Feb 16th 2004, 6:56 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: spider extermination

Originally posted by Bella
As someone with aracnophobia I am keen to get the pest controllers in to rid the house of the nasty critters (specially after nearly having a heart attack finding the biggest spider I ever saw in the bedroom). Anyone done this? Does it work? Any suggestions?

Bella
We had someone round to spray the outside and the inside of our rental last year. This cost around $150 (we didn't pay) but is meant to last up to 12 months. It was very good and seemed to do the job.

I turned over all they garden chairs a couple of weeks back to clean them and there was redback under everysingle one!! Watch those fingers!!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 7:14 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Bella

hehehe!!!
If you do a search in the thingy using 'spiders' as your word you will get tons of info!!!!
in a nutshell -
spider bomb the place before you move in
surface spray everything
bung up the holes
have said can of spray available in every room.
and grow to love em

sue
I quite like the idea of em now, and im still in the uk!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 7:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
We had someone round to spray the outside and the inside of our rental last year. This cost around $150 (we didn't pay) but is meant to last up to 12 months. It was very good and seemed to do the job.

I turned over all they garden chairs a couple of weeks back to clean them and there was redback under everysingle one!! Watch those fingers!!!!!
That is EXACTLY what I did yesterday, found a total of 5 redbacks, including 3 under one of the little kiddies chairs.

It really freaked me out. I ended up using nearly a whole can of surface spray on all my outdoor furniture.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:05 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by renth
That is EXACTLY what I did yesterday, found a total of 5 redbacks, including 3 under one of the little kiddies chairs.

It really freaked me out. I ended up using nearly a whole can of surface spray on all my outdoor furniture.

lol

I tried hosing the buggers but they stuck fast! Those that did try to make the getaway were soon squished under hubbys boots!!

They were all the female ones too!!!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:56 am
Badge

I bought a can today.

What do I do, just squirt all the corners and crannies outside?
That's what the instructions say. Does it really work for 6 months etc?

Badge

Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Bella
Hi Bella
It would be better in the long run to get your phobia treated.It is fairly straightforward and easy.
That way you will be able to deal with them better in future.

Best wishes

G
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Intending to rent an apartment - presumably spider problem less on higher floors??!!

Mummy:scared:
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Servant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mummy
Intending to rent an apartment - presumably spider problem less on higher floors??!!

Mummy:scared:
They say you are never more than one metre away from a spider ... and that is in the UK!!!

We are in Oz in six weeks and I already know the first thing I will do once reaching accommodation is to find the vacuum and use it!

It really is a worry when you have kids when they are not used to these nasties. Must say NZ is sounding friendlier by the minute
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Servant24kids
They say you are never more than one metre away from a spider ... and that is in the UK!!!

We are in Oz in six weeks and I already know the first thing I will do once reaching accommodation is to find the vacuum and use it!

It really is a worry when you have kids when they are not used to these nasties. Must say NZ is sounding friendlier by the minute
Spent 4 months living in a hole of a house in Newtown, Sydney 5 years ago and didn't even consider the spiders. I was looking at my photos only yesterday and our room was a complete mess. But now that the little on is here I am frantic with worry and not even there yet! Mostly worried about him eating one when he is a bit bigger and exploring the world with his mouth.

Mummy
Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Try using a high pressure spray like a Karcher, especially with a dirt blaster attachment it blows the little critters to bits and it gets in all the nooks and crannys... very satisfying.
It is also more Eco friendly as we had the pest people in and the spray they used also killed all the friendly stick insects and praying mantis much to the distress of my bug mad 5 yr old daughter.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:15 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

OH MY GOD! This is my worst fear spiders and COCHROACHES!!!!! AHHH I am scared to bits of them. Was hypnotised a few months ago and am planning to see him again a few times before we go to OZ. Are they really such a big factor???????????????
Old Feb 16th 2004, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

There is supposed to be a thing that you can plug into an electrical socket and it drives them away from your house. It works with the wiring in your house. Its safe for domestic animals like cats and dogs, but not for hamsters and smaller animals.

Try a search on the internet I saw it about six months ago.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

ovenater is on a distinguished road

My family and i spent 5 weeks in oz over xmas and only saw spiders in the gold coast, (big b***ers) but not man eaters.

When we went to Adelaide and Perth we didn't even see any.

Our friends son in Adelaide got bitten twice by a red back while putting his top on 2 years ago but the hospital told him unless he felt feverish that he would be ok.

We were quite worried at first i.e. checking under the covers and seats. but after the first week we forgot about them.

Don't worry you lot there are worse things that can happen and most of the ozzies I spoke to were more frightened of the european wasp.

from sally