Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spent conviction

Spent conviction

Old Jan 18th 2004, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

gary2rep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spent conviction

Can anyone give me any advice on a spent conviction. My fiance was caught with 8 grammes of amphetamine 9 years ago and got 6 months probation. We've informed our migration agent from the the start of our application (1 year ago) and he seems to think that so long as we are honest in our application and that it is classed as a spent conviction and she hasn't offended since there should be no problems.
Her police check which was done recently for a new job, came back clean.
Has anybody got any advice on this matter as we're starting to think about stopping the migration process if there's a chance that she will be knocked back.
We've also been watching "a new life down under" and it has been mentioned a few times that anyone with a conviction will be knocked back.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 18th 2004, 3:27 pm
WBB

Default Re: Spent conviction

Originally posted by gary2rep
Can anyone give me any advice on a spent conviction. My fiance was caught with 8 grammes of amphetamine 9 years ago and got 6 months probation. We've informed our migration agent from the the start of our application (1 year ago) and he seems to think that so long as we are honest in our application and that it is classed as a spent conviction and she hasn't offended since there should be no problems.
Has anybody got any advice on this matter as we're starting to think about stopping the migration process if there's a chance that she will be knocked back.
We've also been watching "a new life down under" and it has been mentioned a few times that anyone with a conviction will be knocked back.
Thanks
Gary
8g is a fair amount of speed to be caught with, was she charged with straight possesion or intent to supply?

either way the best advice is to be honest and as it is 9 years ago i'm sure the case officer will look at the circumstances and her good character since the offence.

gather some character references from friends and family and anyone you know who is a copper or teacher etc, these will help to show how she is a different person now and unlikely to reoffend.

try a search on the subject as there is a fair bit of stuff in the archives.

Old Jan 18th 2004, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by welshboybilly
8g is a fair amount of speed to be caught with, was she charged with straight possesion or intent to supply?

either way the best advice is to be honest and as it is 9 years ago i'm sure the case officer will look at the circumstances and her good character since the offence.

gather some character references from friends and family and anyone you know who is a copper or teacher etc, these will help to show how she is a different person now and unlikely to reoffend.

try a search on the subject as there is a fair bit of stuff in the archives.
She was charged with intent to supply. She has since had jobs in airport security as well in schools. She was young and stupid and hasn't offended since. I am always looking on the downside of things and maybe should stop worrying, but it's alot of money to throw away.
Cheers for the reply Billy
Gary
Old Jan 18th 2004, 4:46 pm
WBB

She was charged with intent to supply. She has since had jobs in airport security as well in schools. She was young and stupid and hasn't offended since. I am always looking on the downside of things and maybe should stop worrying, but it's alot of money to throw away.
Cheers for the reply Billy
Gary

i understand where you are coming from as i have a couple of old convictions and worry about it spoiling our chances of geting the visa.
intent to supply is obviously more serious than possesion, but as you say it is a long time ago, she was young and it is the only offence she has ever committed, i cant really offer any advice other than the character references and maybe use the services of an agent.

good luck, whatever you decide.

Old Jan 18th 2004, 4:59 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Pay £10.00 and get a proper police check done, > these are the forms that you wuld send to oz for the application police checks, this also may be more indepth than the recent police checks she had done !!

worth it for a tenner, answer is back within 2 weeks ish
Old Jan 18th 2004, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i understand where you are coming from as i have a couple of old convictions and worry about it spoiling our chances of geting the visa.
intent to supply is obviously more serious than possesion, but as you say it is a long time ago, she was young and it is the only offence she has ever committed, i cant really offer any advice other than the character references and maybe use the services of an agent.

good luck, whatever you decide.

Thanks again Billy, where abouts are you hoping to migrate to?
Gary
Old Jan 18th 2004, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Pay £10.00 and get a proper police check done, > these are the forms that you wuld send to oz for the application police checks, this also may be more indepth than the recent police checks she had done !!

My fiance has just had a police check done on her from social services (my step-daughters dad is trying to stop us from going and is trying every stall tactic) and it came back clear. We're going to declare the conviction anyway as we want to be very honest with the authorities from the start. The agent that we're using has told us that he thinks we should have no problems, but we'll need some character references as a back up.
Thanks for the reply, what is your location?
Gary
Old Jan 18th 2004, 6:35 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance has just had a police check done on her from social services (my step-daughters dad is trying to stop us from going and is trying every stall tactic) and it came back clear. We're going to declare the conviction anyway as we want to be very honest with the authorities from the start. The agent that we're using has told us that he thinks we should have no problems, but we'll need some character references as a back up.
Thanks for the reply, what is your location?
Gary

location , under name on left hand side of this reply
Old Jan 18th 2004, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

location , under name on left hand side of this reply
why the name Timber floor au? just being nosey. Is there an Oz connection along the line?
Gary
Old Jan 18th 2004, 7:38 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

When you say a proper police check what do you mean Timber?
Old Jan 18th 2004, 7:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Gary
The general guideline is that convictions with a years sentence or more will be grounds for application rejection.

Honesty is the best policy because DIMIA can cancel the visa at any time in the future if they find out untruths in the application.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 7:42 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
When you say a proper police check what do you mean Timber?
i think he means the disclosure checks you have to get done to work with children or the vulnerable were what she did to work in a school, the police checks we have done for our applications are more in depth and i am pretty sure a possesion with intent to supply class B drugs will show up.

http://www.disclosure.gov.uk/