Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spending money in uk

spending money in uk

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice
Default spending money in uk

I am going back to uk in june for a few weeks and was wondering was is the best way to have spending money over there in that i have a uk bank account and transfer some over and get a new efpos card to take or just use my australian card and use that at the cash points.
or can anyone think of a cheaper/ better way thanks Paul
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spending money in uk

I do both. I put some into my UK account and use the debit card for cash stuff and the occasional bigger purchase, all depending on what the balance is and then I use the Aus credit cards (with associated FF benefits) for the bigger items. Usually works out OK especially now that I have a son who will put pounds into my account if I put some dollars somewhere for him - like his savings account.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Change a huge wadge of cash before you go and stick it down yer trousers for safe keeping.....
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rangersman2
I am going back to uk in june for a few weeks and was wondering was is the best way to have spending money over there in that i have a uk bank account and transfer some over and get a new efpos card to take or just use my australian card and use that at the cash points.
or can anyone think of a cheaper/ better way thanks Paul
Who do you bank with?

I have an NAB gold account and overseas ATM withdrawals are free. Plus, the rate you get is very, very close to the mid-market 'real' exchange rate.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I used a travel money card. Bought mine from the ANZ as it seemed the better rate at the time. It was free to use at the checkouts, and cost me $1.50 for getting cash out of the machine (which I only did once, and that was to get the rest of the cash off the card to give to my son)

The card itself cost me $11 and I got a pretty good exchange rate from them.

Bear in mind though, I don't have a UK bank account as I closed them all when I left.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:54 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I still have a UK Barclaycard so use that when I'm away and then repay it in full when I get the statement using Xe.com

I therefore have no bank fees and a good exchange rate when I make the one payment.