Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Spending money on Bull bars..(!) or not..

Spending money on Bull bars..(!) or not..

Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:34 am
Badge

Default Spending money on Bull bars..(!) or not..

We were taking about spending money. Go on then.

I did have a bit of a spend the other day as it happens, I bought a pair of drving lights for the ute. Not the expensive expensive ones, nor the cheapest. There is no street lighting in our lane and I need more light, especially when I am driving to turnouts I need to see far away infront as I am going quite quick and my high beams are disappointing,even my wife says that when she gets behind the wheel on rare occasions. I prefer her high beams, but I don't like driving her car to turnouts.

Now these lights are nice; but ideally I need a bar which mounts from the licence plate bumper and also doubles up as plate holder - cost 30 quid from Super Cheap to mount them on.

Bit low though, so better yet would be a nudge bar - 400 bucks fitted maybe.Hmmm....

Hang on, stuff it, get the full, original-bumper-replacing bull bar - 950 fitted.

The other thing; I get 4000 from the govt for the baby bonus. Dare I go into negotiations with my daughter...

Go on! - or not....?

badge

PS I could get a cheapy from Trading post or Ebay but i have an older ute and can't (yet) work out reliably whether a bar will fit my ute as most are advertised as for Hilux, Rodeo.

Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:50 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spending money on Bull bars..(!) or not..

Isn't the maternity allowance just over $3000? Unless it has changed in the last few months. Something to beware of is that NSW has banned certain types of bullbars, especially ones with protruding objects such as rod holders etc. The problem with bullbars is they are very selfish and have a habit of taking out car passengers heads in an accident. They also add to the rigidity of a vehicle which increases the likelyhood of the occupants sustaining an injury in a collision.

I guess an official bar is more likely to meet local rules and more likely to be safer.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:19 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Badge
I need to see far away infront as I am going quite quick and my high beams are disappointing,even my wife says that when she gets behind the wheel on rare occasions. I prefer her high beams, but I don't like driving her car to turnouts.

I'm sure most of us would prefer your wifes high beams.

Congrats BTW, how long before junior is driving the ute on the Badge estate.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:43 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

We were taking about spending money. Go on then.

I did have a bit of a spend the other day as it happens, I bought a pair of drving lights for the ute. Not the expensive expensive ones, nor the cheapest. There is no street lighting in our lane and I need more light, especially when I am driving to turnouts I need to see far away infront as I am going quite quick and my high beams are disappointing,even my wife says that when she gets behind the wheel on rare occasions. I prefer her high beams, but I don't like driving her car to turnouts.

Now these lights are nice; but ideally I need a bar which mounts from the licence plate bumper and also doubles up as plate holder - cost 30 quid from Super Cheap to mount them on.

Bit low though, so better yet would be a nudge bar - 400 bucks fitted maybe.Hmmm....

Hang on, stuff it, get the full, original-bumper-replacing bull bar - 950 fitted.

The other thing; I get 4000 from the govt for the baby bonus. Dare I go into negotiations with my daughter...

Go on! - or not....?

badge

PS I could get a cheapy from Trading post or Ebay but i have an older ute and can't (yet) work out reliably whether a bar will fit my ute as most are advertised as for Hilux, Rodeo.
Nah sod the bull bars. I won't bore you with the effects they have of pedestrians if you ever hit one. I'm sure you know the stats.

Its pisses me off here in suburban Brisbane the amount of Utes and 4x4 that have them fitted. I mean, WTF, are they scared they're gonna hit a Koala or something?
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:46 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Nah sod the bull bars. I won't bore you with the effects they have of pedestrians if you ever hit one. I'm sure you know the stats.

Its pisses me off here in suburban Brisbane the amount of Utes and 4x4 that have them fitted. I mean, WTF, are they scared they're gonna hit a Koala or something?

Nahh There out looking for Ulster Scotsmen.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
Nahh There out looking for Ulster Scotsmen.

Yeah, but I've got the guns that they think they've decommisioned
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:50 pm
The Godfather

Yeah, but I've got the guns that they think they've decommisioned
On the phone to Ian Paisley as I type this.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:03 pm

On the phone to Ian Paisley as I type this.

Remember to shout
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:05 pm
The Godfather

Remember to shout
You noticed that to.

I got through to his Mrs who said he was outside holding a bicycle over his head so called his mobile & said he was busy holding a Raleigh.

Ok Bed time here.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:13 pm

You noticed that to.

I got through to his Mrs who said he was outside holding a bicycle over his head so called his mobile & said he was busy holding a Raleigh.

Ok Bed time here.

Wheres that BE oscars poll for the worst joke ever groan
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 8:54 am
Badge

I'm sure most of us would prefer your wifes high beams.

Congrats BTW, how long before junior is driving the ute on the Badge estate.
Bordy, I worded it so that you could squeeze that joke in. She is welcome to drive down the back as long as she doesn't bog it in the runoffs for the septic. Our block is narrow so it wouldn't be that great - I might get her a little ag bike.

I'm inclined to go for the nudge bar. I do know that the rigidity of a bar can often cause more vehicle damage probably rather than occupant damage. I'm not fussed about the 'impact' on pedestrians, I know this sounds cynical. I'm sure a car hitting someone at 30mph is still going to make your eyes water.

Badge

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:07 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not fussed about the 'impact' on pedestrians, I know this sounds cynical. I'm sure a car hitting someone at 30mph is still going to make your eyes water.

Badge

Unless it was your wife or your kid you mean

I don't know enough about these things except to say surely bullbars are not needed unless you live in the outer rural areas where kangaroos' or such like can cause life threatening damage to passengers if hit by a vehicle.

Why are bullbars essential otherwise?

Personally, I think it's an important consideration regardless as to who gets hurt. I imagine most people would be thinking of family and padestrians.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:58 am
Badge

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Unless it was your wife or your kid you mean

I don't know enough about these things except to say surely bullbars are not needed unless you live in the outer rural areas where kangaroos' or such like can cause life threatening damage to passengers if hit by a vehicle.

Why are bullbars essential otherwise?

Personally, I think it's an important consideration regardless as to who gets hurt. I imagine most people would be thinking of family and padestrians.
Point taken; but my wife knows that there are cars, utes and trucks on the road. We even have a truck driver that brings his truck home once in a blue moon - god knows how he gets it down the lane - I'm sure that would cause damage if it hit someone. It is in my interest to teach road safety to all children.

Where I live there is a fair amount of wildlife. To get to work, every day, I have to negotiate 10kms - probably more - of winding rural lanes through undulating wooded countryside - and in mid winter, at night, so if I did plan to get a nudge bar I would not be unduly worried about the justification of it. I then get on a sngle lane highway with no sidewalks for about 10 kilometres until I hit the highway where no pedestrian ever ventures. In fact, I am sufficiently cautious about the danger of driving on these narrow lanes to have contemplated taking a car the longer Mway route in mid winter as collision with wildlife is quite high.

To be honest, vertually none of my driving is in suburban streets, apart from the 1k or so at my place of work. Apart from a dart in to the supermarket in the evenings I rarely drive on suburban streets full of pedestrians. Makes a change, I hardly get stuck in traffic and avoid where possible pedestrian crossings. Most of the time you are driving slow at these anyhow.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Oct 2nd 2005 at 10:01 am.

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:00 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute

Get the bull bars, but just remember to put some huge graphics on your car that say, "I have so little confidence in my ability to drive this car, I need these things on in case I crash in to you. I'll be ok, but you'll be knackered". Hopefully then we'll all see you coming and be able to get out of the way.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:07 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Get the bull bars, but just remember to put some huge graphics on your car that say, "I have so little confidence in my ability to drive this car, I need these things on in case I crash in to you. I'll be ok, but you'll be knackered". Hopefully then we'll all see you coming and be able to get out of the way.
Relax. People have been using bull bars in Australia and in areas for years. I am sure there is more danger of hitting a hoon doing a burnout in a suburban street with a normal car, bullbar or not. Luckily I don't live anywhere near any. I remember driving with a instructor, he said I was one of the most defensive and observant drivers he had ever met. He said the use of your mirrors is excellent.

Must remember to cancel the airbags on my car too. People might think I am lacking confidence.

Anyhow, people - I remind you of the original purpose - to provide maximum illumination so that I can get to the fire station safely to potentially save life. Maybe yours. I must take the 4x4 option off the fire truck, and the bull bar too, now I think about it.

Remember my lifestyle may be different to yours. I think in the circumstances a nudge bar would suit.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Oct 2nd 2005 at 10:13 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.