Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

speeding in the UK on Oz licence

speeding in the UK on Oz licence

Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default speeding in the UK on Oz licence

i've just had a speeding ticket for doing 35 in a 30 zone whilst on holiday back in the UK in october.
if i don't pay it, what's likely to happen-i'm going to donate the money to the bushfire relief fund here in Tassie instead which seems much more worthwhile.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: speeding in the UK on Oz licence

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
i've just had a speeding ticket for doing 35 in a 30 zone whilst on holiday back in the UK in october.
if i don't pay it, what's likely to happen-i'm going to donate the money to the bushfire relief fund here in Tassie instead which seems much more worthwhile.
Ignore it - you'll be fine...
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:37 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if you're planning on being in the UK in the future? If so, pay the fine, because if they pick you up again, and you have non paid fines, I believe you can get arrested for it. It happened to a friend of mine who returned from living in Spain. He had three fines. He got stopped, and when checking his rego/license he was arrested for the fines, which I thought was quite amusing. He was one of these 'The government doesn't need any more money' blokes, but was still happy to endanger lives by speeding through quiet villages at night.

Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:38 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

If you were in a hired car it'll have been debited from your credit card, otherwise, yep you'll be OK
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I wonder if you're planning on being in the UK in the future? If so, pay the fine, because if they pick you up again, and you have non paid fines, I believe you can get arrested for it. It happened to a friend of mine who returned from living in Spain. He had three fines. He got stopped, and when checking his rego/license he was arrested for the fines, which I thought was quite amusing. He was one of these 'The government doesn't need any more money' blokes, but was still happy to endanger lives by speeding through quiet villages at night.

i'd thought about that-i'd planned to use a different licence if we go back again though to get around that possibility.

it's the first speeding ticket i've had in 12 years so i don't exactly make a habit of it!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:50 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

i'd thought about that-i'd planned to use a different licence if we go back again though to get around that possibility.

it's the first speeding ticket i've had in 12 years so i don't exactly make a habit of it!
If they issue proceedings and a warrant for arrest etc - that'd be fun explaining to an immigration officer at heathrow the next time you go over , just as he's donning his rubber glove ;-)

for 70 quid - pay the fine! jeez.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spalen
If they issue proceedings and a warrant for arrest etc - that'd be fun explaining to an immigration officer at heathrow the next time you go over , just as he's donning his rubber glove ;-)

for 70 quid - pay the fine! jeez.
Yes I agree. I don't understand these people saying 'you'll be ok'... Are they legal representitives or have they just got away with it themselves?
You were in the wrong. Just pay the fine and live with a clean conscience.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Ian, right, because I'm sure I'm not talking to a woman here... ?
Mate, you want to live with having to remember that for years until you go back over? What if you forget? What if you get caught speeding on that one too? What then?

I know, Ian... I got one once too... I was lost... my grandfather was dying... I was trying to get to a hospital I'd never been to, I wasn't watching the traffic signs in my rush... I got a fine.
Just pay it. It's easier in the long run.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:29 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Ian, right, because I'm sure I'm not talking to a woman here... ?
Mate, you want to live with having to remember that for years until you go back over? What if you forget? What if you get caught speeding on that one too? What then?

I know, Ian... I got one once too... I was lost... my grandfather was dying... I was trying to get to a hospital I'd never been to, I wasn't watching the traffic signs in my rush... I got a fine.
Just pay it. It's easier in the long run.
voice of reason mate, you have to admit that iPom is right
i'll admit to having had similar thoughts, but at the end of day it just ain't worth the bother
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I agree. I don't understand these people saying 'you'll be ok'... Are they legal representitives or have they just got away with it themselves?
You were in the wrong. Just pay the fine and live with a clean conscience.
Ah - that would be me. Had friends that have done it and got away with it. Ultimately, I think they would be OK, but it;s all down to conscience and how wealthy you feel. Might never hear from them again - then again, you may well do. Europe is different as they seem to have better communication. EU and all that!

Probably right though - easier to pay.

I'll get my coat!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:44 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
voice of reason mate, you have to admit that iPom is right
i'll admit to having had similar thoughts, but at the end of day it just ain't worth the bother

Why wasnt I the voice of reason since I proposed paying it 1st..

Is it cos I is not blonde ? (said in an Ali-G / Borat voice )

Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Why wasnt I the voice of reason since I proposed paying it 1st..

I refer my learned and esteemed friend to reply number three, whereupon one was allegedly reputed as saying 'If so, pay the fine'... I believe therefore, that you were 2nd in proposing payment of the said fine.

Is it cos I is not blonde ? (said in an Ali-G / Borat voice )
Na mate, it's cos you got orange eyes, innit!

Last edited by iPom; Dec 15th 2006 at 10:08 am.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

The thought occurs (see my signature) that in the past, the non payment of such a fine would have resulted in transportation. How times have changed!

I must admit I'm in the pay up and have a clear conscience, don't have to worry when next in the UK brigade.

OzTennis
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:37 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Non payment of a speeding fine is referred to the Magistrates Court on application by the police, a largely automatic process. Since the driver has an overseas address this is written off.

The worst that can happen in any instance is that Warrant of Execution is issued by the Court and passed to the Bailiff, who of course only has jurisdiction in England and Wales and return it to the court endorsed unable to enforce and then its written off.

You wont get an arrest warrant issued for this type of fine.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Non payment of a speeding fine is referred to the Magistrates Court on application by the police, a largely automatic process. Since the driver has an overseas address this is written off.

The worst that can happen in any instance is that Warrant of Execution is issued by the Court and passed to the Bailiff, who of course only has jurisdiction in England and Wales and return it to the court endorsed unable to enforce and then its written off.

You wont get an arrest warrant issued for this type of fine.
And the court issues the clear conscience too?

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.