Speeding ticket

Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice
Default Speeding ticket

Hi all,

I apparently got caught speeding in a hire car about 4 weeks after arriving in OZ on my UK driving licence. It's really pi**ed me off as I have been very careful not to speed having heard what the traffic cops are like here. On the day in question I recall seeing a flash as a car was overtaking us and commenting to the missus that the car had just been done for speeding (I know everyone is innocent and there is no way to prove this):curse:

Anyway,the fine has been sent to my old address in the U.K, I have only got this as I've redirected my mail. What would have happened if I had not done this as I would not know anything about it? It has also taken 6 weeks for them to send the fine! Will the points go on my UK licence or my nice new OZ driving licence?

Anyadvice would be appreciated,

Cheers.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:24 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding ticket

If you think that it was the guy overtaking you then ask to see the picture (though I think they will charge you for it), they cant apply points to your UK licence but they will take the number so that if/when you get an Australian licence, as you would need to show them your UK licence to avoid a driving test, they will charge them to you then! Great system huh .
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

As mentioned ask for the photo. I did in the UK and they sent a photo of the back of the car and the registration plate, I then asked for a full scale photo and sure enough on the other side of the road was a wagon. I sent a letter of complainant and the charges were dropped.
Dont know about OZ rules though!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I have always wondered what happens when someone speeds next to you too. I remember panicking in a 30 zone coz someone went past me at about 45-50, incase when they cut back in it was just my licence plate they could see.

Good luck
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Cheers guys, I think i'll go down the photo evidence route and see what comes back.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 3:22 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigall
As mentioned ask for the photo. I did in the UK and they sent a photo of the back of the car and the registration plate, I then asked for a full scale photo and sure enough on the other side of the road was a wagon. I sent a letter of complainant and the charges were dropped.
Dont know about OZ rules though!
That has been known to happen too in Australia, but is very rare, though with the onus on you to prove that the other car was at fault.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
Hi all,

I apparently got caught speeding in a hire car about 4 weeks after arriving in OZ on my UK driving licence. It's really pi**ed me off as I have been very careful not to speed having heard what the traffic cops are like here. On the day in question I recall seeing a flash as a car was overtaking us and commenting to the missus that the car had just been done for speeding (I know everyone is innocent and there is no way to prove this):curse:

Anyway,the fine has been sent to my old address in the U.K, I have only got this as I've redirected my mail. What would have happened if I had not done this as I would not know anything about it? It has also taken 6 weeks for them to send the fine! Will the points go on my UK licence or my nice new OZ driving licence?

Anyadvice would be appreciated,

Cheers.
Don't know where your are in Oz but this can work in Vic.

Write a letter to the Civic Compliance people (the ones who sent you the letter) Firstly explain that the letter went to your UK address, hence the delay in replying.

Explain that you are new to Australia, that you were aware of the speeding laws and tried to make sure that you always kept within the speed limit. Explain that you were passed by another car and saw a flash and that you had mentioned to your wife that you thought that particular was booked for speeding. And could there be a possibility at all, that, that particular vehicle was the one that was actually breaking the law. Don't insist that your innocence. Just tell them what you think may have happened. Ask that under the circumstances due to you being new to the country, and that are you are aware of the rules and drive carefully, could they in this instance as it was a first offence, reconsider the charge.

I had my first speeding fine some time ago and wrote a letter, explaining my circumstances. They let me off without a fine and loss of points, but in the letter they stated I was to accept I had been speeding (which I had) but no further action would be take.

Good luck, but it only works once.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

Sorry the above is badly written and I apologise but I hope you understand what I mean.

Cheers