Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding In Queensland

Speeding In Queensland

Old Nov 20th 2001, 6:41 am
Michael Fox

Dave Campbell
    >

Well, doesn't look like the devil to me....

>

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about the condition of the road which are
not warranted. There are *many* 60 km/hr zones around where I live, which I
personally would rate at 80 km/hr. NO intersections, no housing nearby, virtually no
risk of pedestrians wandering out. Goodness only knows why these particular areas are
rated 60 km/hr.

>
turn
    >
    >

What fairy tale land to you live in?!?? This is certainly not the case around here.

>
    >
it
    >
covered
    >
    >

Your physics calculations are correct, I presume. However, the logical argument about
a built-up area requires a bunch of assumptions - see above.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Classic NIMBY!! And actually, I *do* speed on many highways, but *never* in
cul-de-sacs or near school areas. Believe it or not, many people who speed, do in
fact choose when and where. They are exercising their judgement, and simply
disagreeing with the town planner about the appropriate safe driving speed on a
particular stretch of road, in particular driving conditions.

Now, as to your residence - you know it is a major road, so you need to take care
about traffic. Not being familiar with your address, I can't possibly comment on what
might be an appropriate speed on that particular stretch of highway.

>
    >
(Yes,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Agreed, if you get a fine, just pay up. And yes, people really do die in car
accidents, even at speeds much less than 80 km/hr. So always, take care when driving.
This does *NOT* mean that the town planners are ALWAYS correct in their assessment of
what constitutes a safe driving speed on any given road.

Stay safe.

Michael.

Old Nov 21st 2001, 9:31 pm
Fip

AWoodcraft
    >
    >
    >

Adrian, if you are going to speed like that PLEASE DON'T COME BACK. That's nearly 30
kilometres over the limit and makes you a murderer
(IMO)(maybe we should export >20km limit drivers to the UK?)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 7:35 am
Brianm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I've just come back from Brisbane area to NZ. We rented a car and travelled widely.
The owner of the car hire firm told me that if you incur a traffic fine and leave the
country, your name is put into a database (with immigration I assume) as a warrant to
arrest, so if you return, you get nabbed at the airport. We stuck to the speed limits
and were passed by everything including skateboards. Some commuters have no idea of
driving to the road conditions as we witnessed during a very heavy downpour on the
Gateway motorway. Trucks especially. Saw two cars that had spun off into the ditch.
The conditions were atrocious with almost nil visibility.

There is no shortage of warning signs on the roads of Queensland .... slow down ....

Brian
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reg'd Linux user #235194

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 8:49 am
Alan L

"fip" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> >I would be very grateful for some advice. I have just received a speeding fine[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >from Queensland Police following a visit to Australia in August for driving at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >87km in a 60km zone.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

He isn't a murderer. An idiot, quite possibly, but not a murderer.

>

You think we don't have speeders and idiot drivers here already?

Alan

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 9:28 am
Craig Welch

>
    >
    >

A murderer would be someone who has murdered.

--
Craig

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 9:08 pm
Trevor Dd

let's hope that if you do get back to OZ....you don't get behind the wheel of a car.
We can do without speedsters like you on our roads......)))

just kidding..!!!!!!!

Was it a rental car you were caught in..?? If so...most companies have the authority
to put the charge on yr credit card.

Trevor QLD

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 9:12 pm
Trevor Dd

how so Craig..??

Trevor

>

>
[usenetquote2]> >Here's an idea... DON'T SPEED!!!![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 23rd 2001, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

AWoodcraft is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for everyone's thoughts.I do not consider myself a dangerous driver but who knows perhaps I am.In the UK a lot of speed cameras are positioned in places where there is little risk to pedestians or other drivers and where the road conditions are good enough for a higher speed
limit i.e. they are there to make money rather than to save lives.Not sure if this is true in Queensland .I will pay the fine once I have worked out where to get a money order - for some reason Interstate and Overseas offenders can not pay by phone/credit card.Explain the logic of that!
Old Nov 23rd 2001, 9:09 pm
Daniel Bowen

>
    >

Good open minded attitude! Most people consider themselves to be good drivers, but
alas the road tolls prove otherwise.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Money order? Try your local post office.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia [email protected] Guide to Australia:
http://www.toxiccustard.com/australia/

Old Nov 23rd 2001, 11:56 pm
Flippit

Alan L
[usenetquote2]>> >I would be very grateful for some advice. I have just received a speeding fine[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >from Queensland Police following a visit to Australia in August for driving at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >87km in a 60km zone.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Adrian, if you are going to speed like that PLEASE DON'T COME BACK. That's nearly[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> 30 kilometres over the limit and makes you a murderer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> (IMO)[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

well, it makes him more than a "potential" murderer (besides I said IMO so you're
negation is invalid)

[usenetquote2]>> (maybe we should export >20km limit drivers to the UK?)[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

That's what I said didn't I?

>
    >

Old Nov 24th 2001, 8:05 am
Alan L

"flippit" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> >> >I would be very grateful for some advice. I have just received a speeding fine[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >from Queensland Police following a visit to Australia in August for driving at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >87km in a 60km zone.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Adrian, if you are going to speed like that PLEASE DON'T COME BACK. That's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> nearly 30 kilometres over the limit and makes you a murderer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> (IMO)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >He isn't a murderer. An idiot, quite possibly, but not a murderer.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

Na. He's as much a potential murderer as you or I. Anyone who drives a car, whether
they speed or not, is driving a killing machine. What if you lose concentration for a
second while doing 55 in a 60 zone, and hit someone killing them? That makes you just
as much a murderer, IMO of course

Alan

Old Nov 27th 2001, 10:20 am
Craig Welch

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

It's exactly true in Queensland.

--
Craig