Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding points/ban - getting Aus licence and insurance

Speeding points/ban - getting Aus licence and insurance

Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Speeding points/ban - getting Aus licence and insurance

Just got my 4th ticket in 3 years which will take me up to 12 points - I'm sending off the licence & dosh but the forms say they may have to take me to court if 9 points or more.

Too knackered to do anything but laugh (we've the packers in at the moment and "sorting stuff out" has been my job for the day for the last 6 weeks & we've just moved out & I still haven't ironed school uniforms & ...... sorry I digress).

So I was wondering what happens with driving over there if a) I get a ban or b) I just have 12 points on my licence. Trying to decide whether to send the stuff back urgently so I have a chance of getting my licence back before I go (in mid-July) or if I'm better leaving it as late as possible with the possible repercussions of being banned over there?

If anyone's already been through this or has info please help.

Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:48 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding points/ban - getting Aus licence and insurance

Originally Posted by flip
Just got my 4th ticket in 3 years which will take me up to 12 points - I'm sending off the licence & dosh but the forms say they may have to take me to court if 9 points or more.

Too knackered to do anything but laugh (we've the packers in at the moment and "sorting stuff out" has been my job for the day for the last 6 weeks & we've just moved out & I still haven't ironed school uniforms & ...... sorry I digress).

So I was wondering what happens with driving over there if a) I get a ban or b) I just have 12 points on my licence. Trying to decide whether to send the stuff back urgently so I have a chance of getting my licence back before I go (in mid-July) or if I'm better leaving it as late as possible with the possible repercussions of being banned over there?

If anyone's already been through this or has info please help.

Thanks

Unfortunately I dont think there are any carry overs from the Uk to OZ, so really you need to keep a hold of your license for as long as possible, cos when you are in OZ you wil be able to walk into a licensing center and swap it over for an OZ license. Well and some money of course.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Unfortunately I dont think there are any carry overs from the Uk to OZ, so really you need to keep a hold of your license for as long as possible, cos when you are in OZ you wil be able to walk into a licensing center and swap it over for an OZ license. Well and some money of course.
Do you mean unfortunately from a moral standpoint? If so I agree I'm an idiot but it really would be difficult to start life in a new country with little ones and without being able to drive.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:14 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by flip
Do you mean unfortunately from a moral standpoint? If so I agree I'm an idiot but it really would be difficult to start life in a new country with little ones and without being able to drive.
Should you really be speeding with little ones in the car.......just a thought
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Should you really be speeding with little ones in the car.......just a thought
Oh heck - didn't realise I was going to stir stuff up - was just hoping for a little information.

I am truly sorry and promise never to do it again.

Will that suffice to stop others telling me how terrible I am?