Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding Fines & Points

Wikiposts

Speeding Fines & Points

Old May 19th 2004, 12:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Speeding Fines & Points

Here is some info on Fixed Speeding fines and points allocated by NSW & QLD, for private vehicles.

NSW

Points - Fine - Exceed speed limit by:
........2 - $ 127 - Not more than 15 km/h
........3 - $ 203 - More than 15 but not more than 30 km/h
........4 - $ 565 - More than 30 but not more than 45 km/h
........6 - $1,559 - More than 45 km/h

QLD
........1 - $ 100 - Not more than 13 km/h
........3 - $ 150 - More than 13 but not more than 20 km/h
........4 - $ 250 - More than 20 but not more than 30 km/h
........6 - $ 350 - More than 30 but not more than 40 km/h
........8 - $ 700 - More than 40 km/h

On declared public holiday long weekend periods in NSW (& QLD I think) the demerit points for all speeding, seat belt, child restraint and helmet offences are doubled, and all other offences increase by one demerit point.
For unrestricted licence holders, the suspension periods are:
(for points accumulated in a 3 year period)
12 to 15 points: 3 months.
16 to 19 points: 4 months.
20 or more points: 5 months.

Old May 19th 2004, 1:45 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Speeding Fines & Points

you forgot to mention an automatic 6 month suspension in qld for more than 40 km/h over speed limit

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
QLD
........8 - $ 700 - More than 40 km/h
Old May 19th 2004, 3:17 pm
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

I think in SA, NSW and VIC over 30K's and you get a suspension too.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just discovered 2 more, my seven year old son has been fined $30.00 for not wearing his helmet while riding a push bike, criminal at 7 and just yesterday my 18 year old drives his bosses car due to boss having been banned from driving for 6 months, anyway the car is a lovely silver BMW so jarred gets to do all the client driving etc, 5pm he gets breathalised but police eyeballs drop out when they see a kid in what is a super expensive car in aus, they get him out of the car while they do a check to see if hes stole it, I have to laugh I can imagine my arrogant son looking rather amused while the cops think they have big arrest here. Anyway, the poor kids not speeding, not drinking and not stolen the car so they fine him $30 for not changing the address on his licence

Last edited by jad n rich; May 19th 2004 at 4:08 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 8:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Mobile Phones and Fines & POINTS

Queensland Transport's latest figures reveal that in the first month of the new fine, 1,228 motorists were caught talking on their mobile phones.

The fine was trebled from $75 to $225 on January 1 2004.

As well, motorists now accrue three demerit points on their licence.

Old May 20th 2004, 1:54 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some info on Fixed Speeding fines and points allocated by NSW & QLD, for private vehicles.
what about for being
drunk in charge of a donkey cart?
Old May 20th 2004, 7:18 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Mobile Phones and Fines & POINTS

Queensland Transport's latest figures reveal that in the first month of the new fine, 1,228 motorists were caught talking on their mobile phones.

The fine was trebled from $75 to $225 on January 1 2004.

As well, motorists now accrue three demerit points on their licence.

:scared: This thread points me to buying a bicycle if/when we get there - crash hat as well!!!!

Maybe I'll just try to be a 'better' driver
Old May 30th 2004, 11:50 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i can indeed confirm this is true

got done between cairns and townsville on saturday
just my luck, as i was sticking to limits, but happened to overtake a bloody slow caravan in front of me just as a copper was coming the other way. he belted on his lights and did a u-turn and chased me down the road (well, i wasn't exactly trying to get away, but it made me laugh!!!).

QLD
........4 - $ 250 - More than 20 but not more than 30 km/h
Old May 30th 2004, 12:47 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

...and in keeping with Australia's egalitarian, open, fair and just...opps wrong brochure...I meant over-legislated society...

Australian anti radar-detector laws

Police have the technology to be able to detect vehicles in possession of radar detection devices.

In Queensland:

It is illegal to drive a vehicle which has a device that prevents the effective use of, or detects, a speed-measuring device.
A maximum penalty of 40 penalty units applies.

In New South Wales and the ACT:

It is an offence to own, drive, or park a vehicle that carries or has attached a prohibited speed-measuring article.
A fine will be administered to offenders.

In Victoria:

A person must not own, sell, use or possess a device the purpose of which is to prevent the effective use of a prescribed speed-measuring device or to detect when such a device is being used.

In Tasmania:

The penalty for driving a vehicle having a radar detector or device for preventing the effective use of a speed-measuring device is $400. The penalty does not carry demerit points.

In South Australia:

It is an offence to sell or use a detector or jammer. Perpetrators may be fined.

In Western Australia and the Northern Territory:

There are no laws against the use of laser or radar detectors.
Old May 30th 2004, 3:58 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

"Police have the technology to be able to detect vehicles in possession of radar detection devices"

Depends on your model.
http://www.australianradar.com.au/news.htm

I used to use a cobra (still got it, but don't take it out anymore , I keep meaning to sell it.. I also sold a few to people in work and the rest on ebay.. made a tidy profit too.I sold one to a truck driver who was fed up with the all the speed traps in the way to the GC) .Trouble with it though,it kept going off passing the big petrol stations.
It did pick up the cops, but I was always scared of getting stopped, and caught with it. I used to whip it off the dash and chuck it into my pocket everytime I passed cop car ( it's a tiny unit, no bigger than a ciggy pack)... wasn't worth the hassle to be honest with you.

( In the act (51. (1) it says a max of 20 points for having a RD.. maybe they have added a recent amendment to this act) some light reading - below is the qld act 1949.. traffic regulation1962 reprinted , in force 1996 http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...icR62_01A_.pdf

There are also laws in some states regarding the searching of your car.. they can't search your car on the basis of looking for a RD They can only search under the drug and guns act etc. .. Every state has different rules

Can't bl*8dy sneeze these days .. pity they don't put in the same effort to catching real crims.
.................................................. ............................

Interestingly, not only did the TRL researchers find that just 7.3% of accidents were caused primarily by excessive speed,9 when they examined speed on rural roads it was found that the faster the speed of the traffic the fewer accidents there were.10 This is due, to a large extent, to the road quality with faster roads often being the 'highest quality' roads and therefore the safest ones. But this only suggests that safety policy should concentrate on improving the quality of roads by, for example, building more motorways rather than concentrating on 'speed'. http://www.cis.org.au/Policy/spr03/polspr03-1.htm

P.S I did not think we (QLD) have Double points on Bank holidays, unless it's a new law.. First I've heard of it. I know they were thinking of following NSW in this.. but I didn't think the law was brought in.

thought I'd add this below link too (speeding in ozzzz) for anyone who's interested.. (light, "funny" reading)
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~verysoft...ing/index.html

Happy reading.. it's always handy to know your rights, not that you've got many of them left in this ***police state
Old May 30th 2004, 5:13 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Florida_03
...and in keeping with Australia's egalitarian, open, fair and just...opps wrong brochure...I meant over-legislated society...
Australia is over-legislated? This coming from a dude with Florida in his user name.

Buddy, there'd be more law per square mile in the US than there would be anywhere else. I can't think of another country where 7-8 different types of law enforcement official exist in any same area and all have general police powers.

Considering Australia only has 3 tiers of Govt. in most places as opposed to the 4 most of the US has, it's hardly surprising.

In any case, if your pants are in such a twist over radar detectors, why speed to begin with? It's not hard to stay under a speed limit.

But then again, that's a classic American problem, isn't it? Treat the effect rather than the cause of something.
Old May 30th 2004, 6:06 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

"Can't bl*8dy sneeze these days .. pity they don't put in the same effort to catching real crims. "

Sadly people who cause problems on highways are, in my view, no different to "real criminals">

They are responsible for loss/damage to property, stress and hassle, and worse injury or even death.

If you live 50 miles from work and the speed limit is fifty mph you KNOW you need to take an hour. You want to spend less time in the car? OK, move nearer to work.

And, by definition a criminal IS someone who intentionally breaks the law. Accidentally as well, but we all do the accident thing!
Old May 30th 2004, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sazzle
"Can't bl*8dy sneeze these days .. pity they don't put in the same effort to catching real crims. "

Sadly people who cause problems on highways are, in my view, no different to "real criminals">

They are responsible for loss/damage to property, stress and hassle, and worse injury or even death.

If you live 50 miles from work and the speed limit is fifty mph you KNOW you need to take an hour. You want to spend less time in the car? OK, move nearer to work.

And, by definition a criminal IS someone who intentionally breaks the law. Accidentally as well, but we all do the accident thing!
I have to agree with you Sazzle
Whether the govt has got it's speeding policies wrong or not, why is speeding acceptable?
The stats as to how many accidents are caused by speeding also vary depending on whose report you read.
All payments to the government's speeding fund are purely voluntary.
I get sick of motorists who say "but what's the harm in speeding on a quiet country road?" How many cars exactly does it take to have a head-on collision? How do you know if a horse or cyclist isn't round the corner, or someone pulling out of a junction?
Not many people realise but only 50% of those killed on the roads in Australia are The Driver...the rest are pedestrians, cyclists, motorcylists, passengers. If you wanna speed and kill yourself, fine...but chances are you could take someone else's life too.

People really need to think more about road safety. There's as many people killed on the roads in 2 weeks in Australia as the number of Australians killed in the Bali bombings. We fight a huge war on terror but the road deaths go unnoticed and accepted as part of daily life. As for catching real crims, there;s more killed on the roads than killed by drugs, burglary, or murder.

I don't follow the rest of Oz, but Victoria's road death toll so far this year is 160 killed in 151 days. That includes 23 pedestrians, and 7 cyclists. I haven't analysed the reports to know how many are attributed to speeding, but in general, driver attitude to road safety needs to be improved. If you speed, chances are you take other risks onthe road too.
Old May 30th 2004, 9:24 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
People really need to think more about road safety. There's as many people killed on the roads in 2 weeks in Australia as the number of Australians killed in the Bali bombings. We fight a huge war on terror but the road deaths go unnoticed and accepted as part of daily life.
Not just Oz, of course. 3000 deaths per year on English roads. (Or maybe UK, but still, you get my point.)

The trouble is it's just too easy to speed and people perceive cars as a safe place to be. I agree with Jeremy Clarkson (controversial eh?) when he suggests that instead of all these safety features like airbags and ABS, cars should have a bloody great spike sticking out of the middle of the steering wheel. That would soon slow everyone down!

Then there's my favourite idea for slowing traffic down: don't repair the roads!
Old May 30th 2004, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Not just Oz, of course. 3000 deaths per year on English roads. (Or maybe UK, but still, you get my point.)

The trouble is it's just too easy to speed and people perceive cars as a safe place to be. I agree with Jeremy Clarkson (controversial eh?) when he suggests that instead of all these safety features like airbags and ABS, cars should have a bloody great spike sticking out of the middle of the steering wheel. That would soon slow everyone down!

Then there's my favourite idea for slowing traffic down: don't repair the roads!
yes, it is a global phenomenen - 3500 UK deaths each year.

Safety features such as ABS and airbags are great....if you're inside the car. They offer little comfort to those outside of the car, such as pedestrians and cyclists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.