Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding Fines! 74kmh in 70kmh Zone!

Speeding Fines! 74kmh in 70kmh Zone!

Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Michael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enoughMichael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enough
Default Speeding Fines! 74kmh in 70kmh Zone!

I just dont get it here sometimes - the Ozzies drive 4.0 litre gas guzzlers and the speed limits on the roads are so very very slow and very regulated! Seems a bit crazy to me!

My wife actually got a $130 fine and 1.5 points for doing 4kmh over a speed limit! yes 74kmh in a 70kmh zone! I must add this was not near a School either!!!

She also has a UK driving licence but that does not seem to make a difference.

The fine came in the post about 10 days after the event.

I now drive by cruise control, and actually concentrate more on my speed than anything else - just look out for the boys in blue!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Speeding Fines! 74kmh in 70kmh Zone!

Originally Posted by Michael Branagan-Harris
I just dont get it here sometimes - the Ozzies drive 4.0 litre gas guzzlers and the speed limits on the roads are so very very slow and very regulated! Seems a bit crazy to me!

My wife actually got a $130 fine and 1.5 points for doing 4kmh over a speed limit! yes 74kmh in a 70kmh zone! I must add this was not near a School either!!!

I now drive by cruise control, and actually concentrate more on my speed than anything else - just look out for the boys in blue!
don't worry, the demerit points are on her brit licence, just don't tell them when you register for your Aussie licences.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:42 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Guess thats why the speed limit says 70Kmh and not 70-75k
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Michael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enoughMichael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enough

yes but how accurate is your speedo??? at least they give you a 10% allowance in most decent parts of the UK!!!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:47 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

yes but how accurate is your speedo??? at least they give you a 10% allowance in most decent parts of the UK!!!
Am sure a good garage could tell you how accurate it is. Save money in the long run
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:50 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a major difference between UK and Oz. In the UK they give a bit of leeway because speedos aren't that accurate.

In Oz, YOU are supposed to guess how inaccurate your speedo is, there is no leeway.

Its also quite annoying because, I'm guessing my speedo could be 10Kmh inaccurate, but can you imagine if I started doing 40 Kmh in a 50 Kmh zone. I'd have utes ramming me.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

thanks - need to find out more about demerit points - looks like you arrived here 72 hours before us! We got here from Romsey Hants on 17th Aug!! How is life? are you settled yet?? We moved to Warrandyte (NE Melbourne)

Good luck Mike
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:57 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

4 k`s over the limit does seem a bit harsh but 70 was the limit so your bang to rights! unfortuanatley it`s a good revenue spinner! there`s currently roadworks close to where we live at the moment and the speed limit is 40 k`s for 2 k`s i have to slap myself to stay awake
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Thats a major difference between UK and Oz. In the UK they give a bit of leeway because speedos aren't that accurate.

In Oz, YOU are supposed to guess how inaccurate your speedo is, there is no leeway.

Its also quite annoying because, I'm guessing my speedo could be 10Kmh inaccurate, but can you imagine if I started doing 40 Kmh in a 50 Kmh zone. I'd have utes ramming me.
There is supposed to be a 10% allowance (supposedly goes back to manufacturing tolerances in an Australian Standard and difference in tyre wear).

Sounds like a VIC fine where to tolerance is 3% or something unreasonable like that. The mindless 6.30 infotainament should how a mother lost her licence in 1 day just by driving her childrento/from school through a speed camera on a highway. She wasnt even keeping up with the traffic!

WW
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wengerboy
4 k`s over the limit does seem a bit harsh but 70 was the limit so your bang to rights! unfortuanatley it`s a good revenue spinner! there`s currently roadworks close to where we live at the moment and the speed limit is 40 k`s for 2 k`s i have to slap myself to stay awake
Haven't those roadworks finished yet? Is it on the main road south past Onkaparinga on the way to Seaford?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:07 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Haven't those roadworks finished yet? Is it on the main road south past Onkaparinga on the way to Seaford?
that`s em!! mrs wenger painted her nails along there while driving back from lonsdale this morning
sorry (commercial road)

Last edited by wengerboy; Sep 28th 2005 at 1:09 pm. Reason: wrong
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks - need to find out more about demerit points - looks like you arrived here 72 hours before us! We got here from Romsey Hants on 17th Aug!! How is life? are you settled yet?? We moved to Warrandyte (NE Melbourne)

Good luck Mike
we are in Northern Perth and are settling in quite well. we landed on the 22nd as we flew via the USA for the extra baggage allowance (recommendation - DON'T DO IT! Americans who are in positions of power in Airports are very stupid)

I was extremely lucky, I landed a job in the first week and everything else has fallen into place behind that.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Speeding Fines! 74kmh in 70kmh Zone!

In many areas of Australia, you will come across odometer check zones. These are a series of marker posts exactly 5km apart from each other.

Basically you drive past the first one, and look at your mileometer, or push the trip button, and then recheck at the 10km marker.

If your odometer says you have done 10km, then your speedo will be pretty much on the ball for accuracy.

An alternative to cruise control would be to pick up a portable sat. nav unit. You can set them to moan and complain if you exceed the speed limit (an electronic mother in law )
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life

How strict they are in Australia depends on the state. Victoria has the worst reputation.

Although the speed limit should be set in such a way as to be reasonable without needing 'leeway'.

If you feel speed limits are unreasonable, complain to your state MP, and (if you're an Australian citizen) remember the issue when you vote in a state election. If enough people felt strongly enough about 'revenue raising' from speeding fines, it would stop.

Jeremy
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:35 pm
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future

I hate driving in Oz , i find myself spending more time looking at the speedo than the road, all it takes it a slight lapse of concentration and you can so easily go over the speed limit and you can guarantee there is a hidden speed camera nearby, another thing i hate is why double de-merit points on a weekend or Bank holiday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.