Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding Fines [do they count as a business loss?]

Speeding Fines [do they count as a business loss?]

Old Nov 4th 2004, 4:32 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Speeding Fines [do they count as a business loss?]

As you may remember I picked up a couple of fines last month and as I was going to and from my job at the time I'm curious as to whether I can put them down as a legitimate expense?
I ask as the guy who had his drugs money stolen just got to write that off as a tax loss. http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=17093
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:08 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding Fines [do they count as a business loss?]

Originally Posted by cresta57
As you may remember I picked up a couple of fines last month and as I was going to and from my job at the time I'm curious as to whether I can put them down as a legitimate expense?
I ask as the guy who had his drugs money stolen just got to write that off as a tax loss. http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=17093

No you cant cos you cant claim car expenses to and from your place of work
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:33 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
No you cant cos you cant claim car expenses to and from your place of work
But I'm a self employed tiler and the ute is for business use only I claim it and fuel /running costs as a business expense.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:35 am
ABCDiamond

No sorry Its is specified quite clearly

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/18839.htm

Quick reference—non-deductible expenses

You cannot claim a deduction for the following expenses:
<.....>
* fines—for example, speeding fines when driving between jobs
<.....>

That drugs guy had a massive court fight to get the result he did.

Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No sorry Its is specified quite clearly

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/18839.htm

Quick reference—non-deductible expenses

You cannot claim a deduction for the following expenses:
<.....>
* fines—for example, speeding fines when driving between jobs
<.....>

That drugs guy had a massive court fight to get the result he did.
Cheers ABCD,
I new they'd have sewn that up good and tight.
The article made me chuckle though
"It is a decision that could see criminals lining up at the accountant, claiming repairs for getaway cars, dry cleaning on balaclavas and even claiming the cost of bullets."
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cresta57
Cheers ABCD,
I new they'd have sewn that up good and tight.
The article made me chuckle though
"It is a decision that could see criminals lining up at the accountant, claiming repairs for getaway cars, dry cleaning on balaclavas and even claiming the cost of bullets."
Makes me almost tempted to get back into the accounting game Looks much more interesting now