Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding fine in UK

Speeding fine in UK

Old May 2nd 2010, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Speeding fine in UK

Ok we have just received a notification that my hubby got caught speeding whilst we were in UK. We were a bit surprised as we had made great effort to make sure we kept to the speed limit but hey ho. Hire company sent us the notification from police and as we do not have UK license we wont get any points but it automatically goes to court. We are 'happy' to pay the fine but wonder if we can just pay it and not go to court. It will only bump up the cost as court costs will then be incurred. Anyone experienced this before. Ticked off cause hire company charged us about 42 quid for admin costs to send us the ticket which will cost us about 60 quid arrrrggghhh.

Jo
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:38 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding fine in UK

Write a letter to the police ticketing office explaining your circumstances i.e live in Oz, no UK licence etc. It will be up to them if they want to take you to court. My guess is they won't as should they lose the case they will be liable for your costs which would include your air fares and accomodation back to the UK in order to represent yourself.

If they win all they get is £60.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
Write a letter to the police ticketing office explaining your circumstances i.e live in Oz, no UK licence etc. It will be up to them if they want to take you to court. My guess is they won't as should they lose the case they will be liable for your costs which would include your air fares and accomodation back to the UK in order to represent yourself.

If they win all they get is £60.
You dont actually have to go to court, the case goes to court automatically because you are not UK residents (this is according to the website). Hoping if we just contact them we can negate the compulsory court thing.

Jo
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:13 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
You dont actually have to go to court, the case goes to court automatically because you are not UK residents (this is according to the website). Hoping if we just contact them we can negate the compulsory court thing.

Jo

Certainly thats the case of someone who resides in the UK and caught speeding on a Non UK licence.

As you dont reside there and dont have a UK licence I would bet the ticket would be quashed as its too much hassle for the ticketing office if you contend it.

You are entitled to contend it and attend court if you wish, and claim any expenses if you win in court.

I would be writing the ticket office a letter. Explain your details and offer them proof of your Australian residence. Also I would be asking for photos of the alleged offence and the calibration certificate of the speed camera (legally you are entitled to these)

I bet you a carton you hear nothing more from them
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this makes you feel better!

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:21 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho

Jo
Personally I just wouldn't bother much with it. But that's me. Just wait for the fine and pay it. It doesn't increase just because it's heard (aka bulk rubber stamped) in the Magistrates Court. You'll be sent the details in due course.
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Centurion
Personally I just wouldn't bother much with it. But that's me. Just wait for the fine and pay it. It doesn't increase just because it's heard (aka bulk rubber stamped) in the Magistrates Court. You'll be sent the details in due course.
Cool will do, if we did the crime we'll pay the fine. I agree with speed cameras but hey ho thats me and I am one of the very few I know.

Jo

Last edited by joho; May 2nd 2010 at 9:03 pm. Reason: spelling again
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:38 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Last time I got done for speeding in the UK (in Hampshire) I was driving my dads car.
He filled in a stat. dec saying I was driving and gave my address (Qld). Nothing more was ever heard again.

In contrast, when my sister got done speeding in Qld in my car I filled in a stat. dec saying she was driving and gave her address (wiltshire). The fine notice re-surfaced at her address and she decided to pay it rather than worry about having unpaid fines next time she visited Australia.
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:58 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Last time I got done for speeding in the UK (in Hampshire) I was driving my dads car.
He filled in a stat. dec saying I was driving and gave my address (Qld). Nothing more was ever heard again.

In contrast, when my sister got done speeding in Qld in my car I filled in a stat. dec saying she was driving and gave her address (wiltshire). The fine notice re-surfaced at her address and she decided to pay it rather than worry about having unpaid fines next time she visited Australia.
Hi
On our last trip back to UK in feb this year we got pulled over in a Hire car because we didn't see a sign that said the road had been changed to a pedestrian zone,we had followed about four cars and we all got pulled over.
When the police officer came over to us we explained that we lived in QLD and showed him our licence and when we had done that he said be more care full and he did state that as we live in QLD it would not be followed up as it was 99% sure that the case would drop out of any court because we did not live in the UK, he said we could say that we were not familiar with the signs etc and would get away with it.
So if i was you i would not do anything about it,if you used your credit card for the hire company then i would say to your bank you have lost it and they will give you another one and the old one will be canceled,so there is no way they can hit your credit card.
Have fun and dont worry
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:00 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I didn't want to say it and be seen to be given advice just not to pay, but that was my experience as well. Speeding ticket in the UK whilst on a trip and nothing else further heard aside from the hire company billing me to pass on a notice. Never got a notice from the UK.

Just for the record though it's different with congestion charge and parking fines though, they are paid by the hire companies who can't pass on liability under the Road Traffic Act and your card would be charged.

However, my father in law smugly drove around on a UK licence in QLD and racked up a couple of tickets. Paid them of course, but when he finally applied for an Australian licence they kindly gave him the licence with the points on it all saved up waiting. Wasn't so smug then