Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding fine but no points given?

Speeding fine but no points given?

Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding fine but no points given?

Originally Posted by donna
moneypenny,why be soo arguementative,just let it go
I object to having words put in my mouth and being incorrectly quoted and thus being called dishonourable. Maybe I'm weird like that. Nothing wrong with my mood, not agitated in the slightest (wasn't you who said I was), just like facts to be factual.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:10 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Where have I said that what I've done is acceptable? Where have I used inflammatory comments?
People Who Live In Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones ( don't criticize other people when you yourself have faults and weaknesses ... )

You too have broken the speed limit and the law and are therefore possibly not a safe driver.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:36 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
You were lucky you weren't in WA.

My wife has just been fined $700 (yes $700 !! ) for going 100kph in a 70kph area and 6 points. According to work collegues we were lucky not to get the car confiscated under the new hoon laws.
Quite rightly too. 30km over the speed limit is reckless and if I was the judge I would have banned her. I have broken the speed limit on occasion but never to that level.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Another perfect driver who has never broken the speed limit ?
For a while I worked as an interpreter in the UK. And I interpreted many times on a half-day course that "speeders" can attend in the UK. I think the way it works in th UK: If you do up to 40mph in a 30mph zone and are caught you get a choice of points plus fine or paying to go on the course.

That course is a *real* eye opener as to why speeding is a very bad idea.

So, no, I don't speed.

In the UK they found that fining speeders and giving them points did not really help. Speeders are natural repeat offenders. But a much smaller percentage of those on the course re-offend.

I wish they had that kind of course here and made your wife go on it. Might help to make her a "safe and competent" driver in the future.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:06 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
For a while I worked as an interpreter in the UK. And I interpreted many times on a half-day course that "speeders" can attend in the UK. I think the way it works in th UK: If you do up to 40mph in a 30mph zone and are caught you get a choice of points plus fine or paying to go on the course.

So, no, I don't speed.

In the UK they found that fining speeders and giving them points did not really help. Speeders are natural repeat offenders. But a much smaller percentage of those on the course re-offend.

I wish they had that kind of course here and made your wife go on it. Might help to make her a "safe and competent" driver in the future.
In a senior year of high school in the United States i attended a traffic safety course... the course consisted of an medical chap displaying images of accident victims at the scene of the crash. Legs torn and ripped... flesh hanging off etc etc ... he wold say things like "This woman decided to wear a bikini while riding on the back of the motorbike. If you look closely at the very large piece of flesh hanging off her you can see the tan line."

We were all teenagers in high school being exposed to this. It was unorthodox but it did leave a lasting impression on all who attended.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BAY
Since when is it ok for you to judge that the amount you broke the speed limit by is acceptable. It is not. No amount of speeding is acceptable, thats why they have speed limits.
And fines that change with the speed over the limit, eg:

2010 Penalties for speeding in NSW

Less than 10 km/h over the limit: $84 + one point.

31 to 45 km/h over the limit: $647 + five points and three months suspension.
More than 45 km/h over the limit: $1,744 + six points and six months suspension.
From that, we can all judge how much is acceptable to what level...

Originally Posted by BAY
My wife has just been fined $700 (yes $700 !! ) for going 100kph in a 70kph area and 6 points.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I very occasionally go 5 over but being vaguely paranoid about speed tickets and fines ..

Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:23 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozhappy981

So, no, I don't speed.

So, no, I don't speed ... and I believe in Father Christmas. Everyone speeds. Fact. Most not intentially. Often only briefly . But to say you don't is to be in denial. My wife briefly drove at 100. Got caught. Fair enough. But to say you don't speed just makes you look a fool
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:34 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Quite rightly too. 30km over the speed limit is reckless and if I was the judge I would have banned her. I have broken the speed limit on occasion but never to that level.
100kmph is equivalent to 62mph

30kmph is equivalent to 18mph

In the UK the speed limit ifor motorways is 70mph or 112kmph. Have you ever driven on a motorway in the UK ? How many people keep to 70mph ?

Puts it into context.

Don't give up your day job
Old Mar 17th 2010, 12:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BAY

In the UK the speed limit ifor motorways is 70mph or 112kmph. Have you ever driven on a motorway in the UK ? How many people keep to 70mph ?

Puts it into context.

But the actual example is like doing 60mph in a 40mph zone (100k in a 70k zone) Don't the British obey the 40 limits either now ?

Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:14 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

Puts it into context.

Does it come naturally to you to be such a tosser, it must do because it shines through in every post you write. Of course I have driven on a motorway in the UK, what relevance is that to your wife breaking the law here!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:11 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Does it come naturally to you to be such a tosser, it must do because it shines through in every post you write. Of course I have driven on a motorway in the UK, what relevance is that to your wife breaking the law here!
Having to resort to personal abuse, showing your true class How sad.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:29 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by BAY
Having to resort to personal abuse, showing your true class How sad.
:boring: