Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speeding fine but no points given?

Speeding fine but no points given?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Speeding fine but no points given?

Hi guys, just asking on behalf of a friend. Wondering if its possible to get a fine for speeding but for the law to not give you points.

My mate got nicked last night, more than 30 k's over the limit.
Copper gave him a ticket with a 466 dollar fine but no mention of points.

Is that possible?

J
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding fine but no points given?

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi guys, just asking on behalf of a friend. Wondering if its possible to get a fine for speeding but for the law to not give you points.

Is that possible?

J
I have been done for speeding twice, both caught on speed camera's. Only a few k's over the limit. My fine was nothing like your mates, but I did lose points both times.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Is that possible?

J
I've lost track of the amount of speeding fines my OH has had since we got here but no points on his licence.

Tracie
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:33 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
I've lost track of the amount of speeding fines my OH has had since we got here but no points on his licence.

Tracie
Maybe it's a state by state thing? I see you are in WA, I was in NSW.

Just remembered one Easter my friend got done for having no seat belt on (it crushes her clothes don't ya know! ), she got a hefty fine and double demerit points!
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Just remembered one Easter my friend got done for having no seat belt on (it crushes her clothes don't ya know! ), she got a hefty fine and double demerit points!
It must be a state thing. OH has been done on speed cameras (first you know is when it comes in the post) and by the copper on the side of the street pulling him over. Always ends with a fine though no where near as much as the OP's fine!

Tracie
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:48 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that possible?

J
+30k over the designated limit is worth 6 points & $466 . They go on your licence automatically when you either pay or are dealt with by the court. It's up to you to determine if your banned via the totting up procedure, Qld police will not inform you.
You have to apply for a driving history check if your not sure, there is a fee

There's a box on the orange slip the police give you that will usually state the number of points
Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
+30k over the designated limit is worth 6 points & $466 . They go on your licence automatically when you either pay or are dealt with by the court. It's up to you to determine if your banned via the totting up procedure, Qld police will not inform you.
You have to apply for a driving history check if your not sure, there is a fee

There's a box on the orange slip the police give you that will usually state the number of points
so when he goes to pay his fine they won't say a word to him even if the 6 points put him over the 12 allowed?

J
Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:06 am
Home Sweet Home

so when he goes to pay his fine they won't say a word to him even if the 6 points put him over the 12 allowed?

J
For NSW you can look it up on the Internet. I've been back in England for a year and I can't even remember what it's called. Is it the Motor Registry??? I remember the young guys at work were always checking to see how many points they had left.......
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:17 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

J
They [qld police] don't have to inform "him" The onus is on the motorist.Have a look on the Qld transport web site. Here

What happens often is that you reach the twelve points via a 6 point offense, you pay the fine & the points are deemed to have been added on the day of the offense. If you reach 9 points they do send you a letter "Accumulation of Demerit Points" The trouble is there is a delay between the points going on & the letter arriving, during that time you can be driving unlicenced due to the totting up. That responsibility is upon you to make sure that doesn't happen. For that reason you can apply for a driving history check.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:28 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Most states now employ a double demerit point system over public holiday periods, which extends before and after the actual public holiday.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:37 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Most states now employ a double demerit point system over public holiday periods, which extends before and after the actual public holiday.
Yes and quite unfairly at times, you have a 1 day public holiday and double demerit days either side............
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

They [qld police] don't have to inform "him" The onus is on the motorist.Have a look on the Qld transport web site. Here

What happens often is that you reach the twelve points via a 6 point offense, you pay the fine & the points are deemed to have been added on the day of the offense. If you reach 9 points they do send you a letter "Accumulation of Demerit Points" The trouble is there is a delay between the points going on & the letter arriving, during that time you can be driving unlicenced due to the totting up. That responsibility is upon you to make sure that doesn't happen. For that reason you can apply for a driving history check.

I have ten points and i never recieved a letter telling me i'd gone over 9

J
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:57 am

I have ten points and i never recieved a letter telling me i'd gone over 9

J
Have you moved since you accrued points?
I got this:
Attached Thumbnails Speeding fine but no points given?-points-leter.jpg  
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have you moved since you accrued points?
I got this:
Actually, seeing your letter, i think i did get something like that.

So whats the verdict guys, is it possible to get the fine and not the points?
Can the copper at the roadside make that decision?

Jazzys
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and quite unfairly at times, you have a 1 day public holiday and double demerit days either side............
Unfair? Oh for heavens sake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.