Speeding Fine

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Yarm33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speeding Fine

Hi all, could anybody help with the following?

I have recently been to Aus on holiday and have been caught speeding. Normally I would not see this a big problem, however I am in the process of migrating back out there and am not sure what to do about the ticket. Will I have to pay it and will they have my details on record, hence will it effect my insurance when I get there? Will the points go on to my Aus liceince when I take my Aus test?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:30 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding Fine

Originally Posted by Yarm33
Hi all, could anybody help with the following?

I have recently been to Aus on holiday and have been caught speeding. Normally I would not see this a big problem, however I am in the process of migrating back out there and am not sure what to do about the ticket. Will I have to pay it and will they have my details on record, hence will it effect my insurance when I get there? Will the points go on to my Aus liceince when I take my Aus test?

Thanks in advance!!
I got done for speeding while there on hols, Paid the fine over the phone, nothing was mentioned about any points. I guess you were in a hire car as I was. Wouldn't worry about it, don't think they are gona keep all those records of hire car fines on file. (well I hope not )

Suni
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Speeding Fine

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I got done for speeding while there on hols, Paid the fine over the phone, nothing was mentioned about any points. I guess you were in a hire car as I was. Wouldn't worry about it, don't think they are gona keep all those records of hire car fines on file. (well I hope not )

Suni

Thanks for that. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see how it goes.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:02 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yarm33
Thanks for that. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see how it goes.

If you don't pay it or don't respond, they can issue a warrant for unpaid fines and may you arrested, as has happened in the past - everything is kept on record and can be cross-matched (amazing what info computers can throw at you when you least expect it). The car hire company certainly would not pay and would forward your UK details to authorities. The same would apply if the offence was committed in the UK by Aussies who left without paying. Shouldn't affect new Oz licence though as the offence was committed before you got it. Still it is better to pay up than be stung later on.

Last edited by The Bloke; Mar 23rd 2006 at 8:11 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Bloke
If you don't pay it or don't respond, they can issue a warrant for unpaid fines and may you arrested, as has happened in the past - everything is kept on record. The same would apply if the offence was committed in the UK by Aussies who left without paying.Shouldn't affect new Oz licence though as the offence was committed before you got it. Still it is better to pay up than be stung later on.
I entirely agree and intend to pay in full. Good to hear about new license, thanks.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
If you don't pay it or don't respond, they can issue a warrant for unpaid fines and may you arrested, as has happened in the past - everything is kept on record and can be cross-matched (amazing what info computers can throw at you when you least expect it). The car hire company certainly would not pay and would forward your UK details to authorities. The same would apply if the offence was committed in the UK by Aussies who left without paying. Shouldn't affect new Oz licence though as the offence was committed before you got it. Still it is better to pay up than be stung later on.
The car hire company will charge it to your credit card with an administration fee if you don't pay.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NedKelly
The car hire company will charge it to your credit card with an administration fee if you don't pay.
Ned, sounds like you are speaking from experience!!! Thanks for the advice and take care.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:50 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Slightly OT: I've wondered this before..
If you hold both an Oz and UK license, and are driving in Oz, do you legally have to use your Oz license for renting a car?

I've read somewhere that you may get a better rate with a UK license.
Does anyone know if this is true?

And putting the two together, if you get a speeding fine for that rental car, hired under your UK license, do you then avoid accruing points?

I am not recommending anyone try this. It's a theoretical question only.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 9:00 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

if you use an aussie license you get a better rate. try it. go to avis (or whoever) and do two quotes, one stating you are a uk resident, and the other saying an aussie resident. the aussie one is 90% of the time cheaper.

it's the same going the other way too.

(plus if you hold an aussie license it is, i believe, illegal to drive on a uk dl).

Originally Posted by gedge
Slightly OT: I've wondered this before..
If you hold both an Oz and UK license, and are driving in Oz, do you legally have to use your Oz license for renting a car?

I've read somewhere that you may get a better rate with a UK license.
Does anyone know if this is true?

And putting the two together, if you get a speeding fine for that rental car, hired under your UK license, do you then avoid accruing points?

I am not recommending anyone try this. It's a theoretical question only.