Wikiposts

Speed Limits

Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Speed Limits

Completely at odds with Australian thinking...opinions please

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15116064
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:38 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speed Limits

Most of my long distance trips are done with the trailer behind, and I limit myself to 100 anyway to conserve fuel, so an increase from 110 (~70mph) to 125 (~80mph) wouldn't really affect me - but it would be nice to know that when I accelerated to 125-130 to safely overtake the guy idling along at 95 I couldn't be pinged.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond

Mixed feelings about this but at least they are having the debate. UK motorway speed limits are not strictly enforced, so 71-99mph is fair game. If they are going to make it 80mph and then strictly police it, then that's not so good.

Our speed limit on certain roads should be 130kph but it will never happen.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:03 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, another game of Revenue Raising Bingo, excellent
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:11 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

UK Motorways are some of the safest and best designed in the world. I am heartily in agreement with this, everyone already does 80+ anyway!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Was driving up the sunshine coast a few weekends ago, speed limit on the motorway was 80 or 90, driving on some wee windy road up towards Montville it was 100 .

On a positive note, driving on the motorway here does actually prove that cars can just about achieve the fuel consumption figures the manufacturers claim.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:52 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
UK Motorways are some of the safest and best designed in the world. I am heartily in agreement with this, everyone already does 80+ anyway!
Not everyone.

I reckon if they raise it to 80 then the people doing 80 now will do 90.

I read the article as "Transport Secretary Richard Hammond said ...".
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:06 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Not everyone.

When I was in 'The Job' it was an unspoken, but generally accepted rule that anything between 70 and 90 on the motorway would have a blind eye turned to it UNLESS the quality of the driving was utterly awful, and would represent a danger to other road users.

S
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:11 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
When I was in 'The Job' it was an unspoken, but generally accepted rule that anything between 70 and 90 on the motorway would have a blind eye turned to it UNLESS the quality of the driving was utterly awful, and would represent a danger to other road users.

S
A fair bit of common sense there, someone tailgating doing 70 in thick fog is more of a danger than a 3am 90mph scoot up the M1.

I don't mind the zero tolerance thing, at least nobody has a valid excuse to whine when they get pinged.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

if they subscribed to the australian way of enforcing speed then ever other bend in the road would have a speed limit change.

In the UK I dont think that raising the speed limit to 80 will suddenly increase the number of people doing 90+ in any case. I imagine it would stay the same.
90 is a still a very fast speed to drive at, which probably more than suits the vast majority of drivers. The people going 100+ currently (and in the future) would probably do it regarless of the limits.

The thing I really liked about the UK limits is that you can easily work out what the limit should be without signs. Built up areas, country roads single track, dual carriage ways etc. Its not like here where Victoria Road in Sydney has about 9 speed limit changes in 20km, despite constantly staying as a 2+ lane highway.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:15 pm
Mostly Harmless

Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:31 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Not everyone.

OK, not everyone, it's 50/50 though!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

It's only taken three years but I truly believe I have lost the ability to drive a motor car properly since coming here.

They all treat driving the same as they treat everything else. Like a ****ing competition.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Ohh, interesting. I can't say ****. I'm sure I've seen other ****ing posts with the ****ing word **** in them. ****ing speed limits. **** **** ****ety ****.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:57 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
Ohh, interesting. I can't say ****. I'm sure I've seen other ****ing posts with the ****ing word **** in them. ****ing speed limits. **** **** ****ety ****.
I can't say **** either!

As an aside to all this I drove past a huge ute the other day with one of those stickers attached to the top of the windscreen ... it said, in big white letters "Big Sticker". It amused me anyway.

Talking of stickers, I'm getting one of these to amuse my juvenile mind ...

Last edited by DeadVim; Sep 29th 2011 at 3:04 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.