British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Speed Cameras (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/speed-cameras-456413/)

Nomore Jun 7th 2007 2:56 am

Speed Cameras

I have been lucky so far....apart from yesterday, got flashed by a camera for the first time in a year in OZ...

What will happen now? how many points will i get? and how much will the fine be?

I was doing 75km in a 70km area.

worzel Jun 7th 2007 3:03 am

Re: Speed Cameras

Originally Posted by paulrachel (Post 4882846)
I have been lucky so far....apart from yesterday, got flashed by a camera for the first time in a year in OZ...

What will happen now? how many points will i get? and how much will the fine be?

I think that is $50 but no points.

northernbird Jun 7th 2007 3:03 am

I got done for 87 in a 70 and got $100 fine and 1 demerit point

Nomore Jun 7th 2007 3:06 am

Also forgot to add that i was on the outside lane. There was another car at the side of me. I was slightly in front (only just).
Will the camera still have picked up on me do you think?

Amazulu Jun 7th 2007 3:07 am

At the moment the notice will take up to 6 months before you get it. I got snapped in October and got the notification in March.

kmtsst Jun 7th 2007 3:16 am

Originally Posted by paulrachel (Post 4882864)
Also forgot to add that i was on the outside lane. There was another car at the side of me. I was slightly in front (only just).

I was going at 85 in a 80 area was on the inside and there was another car on the outside lane .that was back in oct never got anything :) My sis is a copper and reckons i didnt hear anything cause i was in the inside lane and can only fine 1 car at the time .

worzel Jun 7th 2007 3:19 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 4882859)
I got done for 87 in a 70 and got $100 fine and 1 demerit point

It goes up in bands of 10km. I was 11km over and got the same as you. Under 10km it is only $50. Over 20km and I think the points are 3.

worzel Jun 7th 2007 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4882870)
At the moment the notice will take up to 6 months before you get it. I got snapped in October and got the notification in March.

I got mine just after 5 months later. I thought they had put more staff on it to bring the wait down?

framac Jun 7th 2007 6:53 am

Just thought i would add my husband just recieved a nice letter and photo of his lovely car and to TOP that a fine of $150.00 just today and he was only caught on camera last saturday doing 73km on a 60km but no points on his licence, first time for everything i suppose... Oh Happy Days. sorry just noticed he has 3 points... so not so Happy Days then

auspal Jun 7th 2007 11:40 pm

Not sure which state you are in , its different depending on where you live.
I think 5km over is a bit harsh for a fine, dont be surprised if it was someone else getting flashed.

moneypenny20 Jun 8th 2007 12:07 am

Originally Posted by auspal (Post 4887517)
I think 5km over is a bit harsh for a fine, dont be surprised if it was someone else getting flashed.

Where do they draw the line though. The machine is presumably set to catch anyone over that particular speed limit. They don't take into account fluctuations in the speedometer in the car over here so if the camera goes off you get a fine. I imagine the fixed camera set up is all computer generated anyway so no humans involved. Someone will tell me if I'm wrong:D

Nomore Jun 8th 2007 1:25 am

Originally Posted by auspal (Post 4887517)

I'm in Perth.
It was one of those supanova cameras hidden in the bushes:sneaky:

My hubby has one of those machines that detect speed cameras. Without that he would have lost his licence months ago. He is on the road all day everyday, best thing invented;)

andrew63 Jun 8th 2007 1:53 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 4887636)
Where do they draw the line though. The machine is presumably set to catch anyone over that particular speed limit. They don't take into account fluctuations in the speedometer in the car over here so if the camera goes off you get a fine. I imagine the fixed camera set up is all computer generated anyway so no humans involved. Someone will tell me if I'm wrong:D

As far as I know, in the UK it is a given that your speedo can be 5% out and the police camera can be 5% out thus you can typically get away with 10% over the speed limit.

Over here, they can fine you for doing 102 kmh in a 100 limit. You are very welcome to contest the accuracy of your speedo and/or the police camera in Court. Smart eh!

I personally know how to outsmart the police and their sneaky revenue raising hidden camera tactics - I stick to the speed limit!

That makes me smarter!

Andrew

moneypenny20 Jun 8th 2007 2:50 am

Agreed but others don't.

Siren & Brian Jun 8th 2007 6:17 am

Originally Posted by paulrachel (Post 4882864)

Not 100% sure but I think that if two cars side by side in photo that neither will get a ticket.