British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   speed camera detectors (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/speed-camera-detectors-237315/)

windsurfer uk Jun 19th 2004 8:19 am

speed camera detectors

Hello everyone,
Was wondering,have a snooper detector in my car.It is legal here in the UK,are they allowed in OZ? as want to take it with me.
Do a lot of miles and swear by it,saved me a lot of points on my licence.
Regards, Mark

Sazzle Jun 19th 2004 10:04 am

I recall reading somewhere that they are illegal there, but I could be wrong.

Larissa Jun 19th 2004 10:08 am

Re: speed camera detectors

Originally posted by windsurfer uk
Hello everyone,
Was wondering,have a snooper detector in my car.It is legal here in the UK,are they allowed in OZ? as want to take it with me.
Do a lot of miles and swear by it,saved me a lot of points on my licence.
Regards, Mark
Would it work overthere? I'm not sure how it works and they sound an excellent idea!. Hubby is almost up to his max number of points, so we could do with one over there. BTW Speeding points here don't count there, but they are hot on speeding too. Better make sure we get cruise control.

windsurfer uk Jun 19th 2004 2:58 pm

Originally posted by Larissa
Would it work overthere? I'm not sure how it works and they sound an excellent idea!. Hubby is almost up to his max number of points, so we could do with one over there. BTW Speeding points here don't count there, but they are hot on speeding too. Better make sure we get cruise control.
They work on k band for the gatsos, Mr Gatso who invented the flaming things and has made a large fortune from them exports all over the world so I presume they will be same bandwidth so the detector should work the same unless it is type that ties up with the gps satelite system which I am not sure about.

soapy© Jun 19th 2004 4:44 pm

They work on k band for the gatsos, Mr Gatso who invented the flaming things and has made a large fortune from them exports all over the world so I presume they will be same bandwidth so the detector should work the same unless it is type that ties up with the gps satelite system which I am not sure about.
i sat my test over here last week and one of the questions was . what will happen if u are caught with one of those things in your car. cant rmbr the answer. but i guessed right :D

soapy© Jun 19th 2004 5:00 pm

Originally posted by soapy
i sat my test over here last week and one of the questions was . what will happen if u are caught with one of those things in your car. cant rmbr the answer. but i guessed right :D
SL026 - Speed Limits RUH
Having a radar detector or jammer in your car is against the law -
- No matter what your reason is. correct
- Only if it is turned on. x
- If you purchased it after 1998. x

windsurfer uk Jun 19th 2004 5:38 pm

Originally posted by soapy
SL026 - Speed Limits RUH
Having a radar detector or jammer in your car is against the law -
- No matter what your reason is. correct
- Only if it is turned on. x
- If you purchased it after 1998. x
Ok, thanks for the info,will flog it before I go then.Will be sorry to lose it as it is a constant reminder to watch your speed as it keeps going off whilst going past any sort of laser such as automatic doors in shops ect .It is a pain in towns but makes you constantly watch your speedo so you never drift over speed limit, sort of "educates you" Some people say they are an excuse to speed but I have found the opposite as it freaks you out every time it goes off every few minutes so reminds you. All of us lift engineers have them where I work.
Kindest regards
Mark

mlbonner Jun 19th 2004 7:33 pm

Ok, thanks for the info,will flog it before I go then.Will be sorry to lose it as it is a constant reminder to watch your speed as it keeps going off whilst going past any sort of laser such as automatic doors in shops ect .It is a pain in towns but makes you constantly watch your speedo so you never drift over speed limit, sort of "educates you" Some people say they are an excuse to speed but I have found the opposite as it freaks you out every time it goes off every few minutes so reminds you. All of us lift engineers have them where I work.
Kindest regards
Mark

Just had this conversation with my dad over dinner as it happens - he'd borrowed one from a friend for a week. Said the same as you, that it sort of educated him. I think it allows less reasons for people to complain about revenue raising if you can have one too.