Speech Therapy

Old Apr 16th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of
Default Speech Therapy

Our Daughter is attending Speech Therapy she is 5

Is this available within the schooling system in Oz (She will be an Australian citizen when the paperwork is processed)

regards

Darren & Ann
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:07 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speech Therapy

Hiya - I don't know the answer to your question but I used to share a flat in London with an Aussie speech therapist.
We always used to joke that her English clients would end up with Aussie accents. however it seems that's not the case. She told me accents are all about vowels and speech problems are all about consonants.
Anyway - sorry I can't help, I'm sure someone else will. my son (4) has just finished some speech therapy and I'm hoping he won't need any more but you never know he is way behind in speech development compared to his sister at the same age.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mumfords

Is this available within the schooling system in Oz (She will be an Australian citizen when the paperwork is processed)

regards

Darren & Ann
Hi Darren & Ann

How spooky, I was just thinking of putting this question on here as my son who is nearly 4 has finished a course of speech therapy (5 x 45 mins sessions ) which doesn't seem to have helped at all and they have said that they won't see him again until Xmas! Explained that we would hopefully be in Oz by then and she said it was easier to get therapy out there than here! Needless to say, after spending many hours on the computer I am no further forward and starting to stress about taking him away where no one will understand what he says! Anyway, I am going on, could you please let me know if anyone gets in touch with you about this. Where abouts are you heading? Where abouts in Northants are you?

Nikki
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

hi Nikki

we are in Towcester

My daughter is having sessions at her school at the moment the lady doing the sessions seems so inconsistant one week she is there and then the school hols get in the way she not seen anyone for 3 weeks, her speech sometimes seems like its gone backwards instead of forwards i will be speaking to the therapist about this
Anyway hopefully in oz we can get this sorted as she and her brother will be going as oz citizens (OH born in melbourne)
We are looking to go to WA,Perth area in the next year where are you thinking of going to??

Ann
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

hi Nikki

we are in Towcester

My daughter is having sessions at her school at the moment the lady doing the sessions seems so inconsistant one week she is there and then the school hols get in the way she not seen anyone for 3 weeks, her speech sometimes seems like its gone backwards instead of forwards i will be speaking to the therapist about this
Anyway hopefully in oz we can get this sorted as she and her brother will be going as oz citizens (OH born in melbourne)
We are looking to go to WA,Perth area in the next year where are you thinking of going to??

Ann

Hi Ann

That is really good that there is a speech therapist at your daughter's school. Our son had to go to Isebrook Hospital and he just clammed up as there were 6 other kids there and for the whole 5 weeks he never said a word. They just sent him home with homework and have given me loads to teach him over the next 8 months. I feel like a failure as his speech is just the same and then I try to justify it by saying to anyone who will listen "but I am not a teacher" just to make myself feel better but it doesn't work. It breaks my heart when he speaks and I have no idea what he is saying! Anyway, like you say, hopefully it will get sorted. We too are heading to Perth. Visa is sent off and just away to book meds so hopefully we will get visa through in 3/4 months. Haven't decided when we will actually go, will wait and see. What about you, how far into the process are you?

Nicx
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki

all that you said about your son was exactly what happened to my daughter she been going since she was 3, homework not speaking a word in front of them sounds all so familiar she got better as she got older, school gave her alot more confidence

We are looking to get OH oz passport by the end off the month at that stage i can apply for my spouse visa and sort out the kids citizenship

We hope to be there 12 months from now

Ann
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Very little help available if your expecting schools or hospital to cover it, just wont happen.

EG. Cleft pal kids at brissie and melb hospitals can at best hope for a speech therapy pack, (photocopies and computer access which the parents with no instruction) are supposed to supervise. Totally ineffective compared to sessions with a 4 year trained professional. Private speech therapy is available, unless you live really rural, not cheap and not covered by medicare. Private health depending on your level may cover a small portion.

Like many things parent pays.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Very little help available if your expecting schools or hospital to cover it, just wont happen.

EG. Cleft pal kids at brissie and melb hospitals can at best hope for a speech therapy pack, (photocopies and computer access which the parents with no instruction) are supposed to supervise. Totally ineffective compared to sessions with a 4 year trained professional. Private speech therapy is available, unless you live really rural, not cheap and not covered by medicare. Private health depending on your level may cover a small portion.

Like many things parent pays.
Thanks for the information, at least I know what to expect when I get there.

Nikki
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki

all that you said about your son was exactly what happened to my daughter she been going since she was 3, homework not speaking a word in front of them sounds all so familiar she got better as she got older, school gave her alot more confidence

We are looking to get OH oz passport by the end off the month at that stage i can apply for my spouse visa and sort out the kids citizenship

We hope to be there 12 months from now

Ann
Hi Ann

Now we know what to expect from Jad and Rich we will have to meet up in Perth with the kids for a speech therapy session for them and a glass of wine for us. The more wine we have the better the homework session I am sure

Nikki
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

regards

Darren & Ann
Hi

I am in Perth, WA my little girl who is now 6 was referred to a Speech Patholigist when she was 5 by her school. If we wanted a govt appointment we would have had to wait minimum 6mths, but we decided to go private which then cost $120 a session, our HBF paid a little towards it.

Hope this helps, and the lady was great by the way.

Kim
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nic938
Hi Ann

Now we know what to expect from Jad and Rich we will have to meet up in Perth with the kids for a speech therapy session for them and a glass of wine for us. The more wine we have the better the homework session I am sure

Nikki
that sounds good after a few drinks the kids speech will br better than ours
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimi
Hi

I am in Perth, WA my little girl who is now 6 was referred to a Speech Patholigist when she was 5 by her school. If we wanted a govt appointment we would have had to wait minimum 6mths, but we decided to go private which then cost $120 a session, our HBF paid a little towards it.

Hope this helps, and the lady was great by the way.

Kim
Thanks for the info. Kim that was going to be my next question on how to go about getting private therapy. That price is very reasonable. I found out about it here and the initial assessment was over £100 and then £70 - £80 per session. Think I am in the wrong job! What is HBF? Probably stupid question.

Nikki
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

that sounds good after a few drinks the kids speech will br better than ours
Since I will probably be there before you, I will keep the wine chilled and will have sussed out the speech therapy for us and then when you arrive we can meet up and put it to the test. Where abouts in Perth are you hoping to settle? We are looking at Mandurah/Rockingham way.

Nic
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic

I will reply for Ann as shes at work (as I am )

This is spooky

We have decided on Rockingham area as well, We have friends in Mandurah

HBF is health insurance that covers Optical, Dentist etc very similar to HSA here

Regards

Darren
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic

I will reply for Ann as shes at work (as I am )

This is spooky

We have decided on Rockingham area as well, We have friends in Mandurah

HBF is health insurance that covers Optical, Dentist etc very similar to HSA here

Regards

Darren
Secret is safe with me! Spooky as you say, we will all definetley have to keep in touch then if we are heading in the same direction. It might be good for the kids! What do you do Darren? OH is a brickie. Thanks for the info on HBF, I am a lot wiser now

Nic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.