Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Speech by Citizenship Minister

Speech by Citizenship Minister

Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Speech by Citizenship Minister

The Citizenship Minister recently gave a speech on the proposed changes to the Australian Citizenship Act:
http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/cam/...global-age.htm

Anyone wishing to comment - favourably or otherwise - should contact their federal MP without delay.

Jeremy
Old Sep 18th 2005, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Thebridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Speech by Citizenship Minister

Originally Posted by JAJ
The Citizenship Minister recently gave a speech on the proposed changes to the Australian Citizenship Act:

Anyone wishing to comment - favourably or otherwise - should contact their federal MP without delay.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Is it intentional that Hon. John Cobb MP did not mention anything about the situation of the existing PRs?

When will this proposed law come into force? I spoke with a migration agent and he told me that these new regulations may come into force in 10 months or more and they will not affect the existing PRs. I am not a migration agent but I think that this point of view is very optimistic. What do you think at this stage?

I have been in Australia for 19 months. I do not understand why my MP will hear my concerns if I am not a citizen. The MPs do not represent the PRs, they represent the citizens. I am just a PR-Taxpayer…..So, as we can see, we have restricted rights in this country.

Finally, an interesting reasoning from Hon John Cobb MP: “Increasing the two years requirement to three years will allow more time for new arrivals to become familiar with the Australian way of life and the values which they will need to commit to as Australian citizens”. New arrivals? The existing PRs are not new arrivals. Will the law apply only to the new arrivals?
Old Sep 18th 2005, 4:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thebridge
Jeremy,

Is it intentional that Hon. John Cobb MP did not mention anything about the situation of the existing PRs?

Maybe. And maybe not.

When will this proposed law come into force? I spoke with a migration agent and he told me that these new regulations may come into force in 10 months or more and they will not affect the existing PRs. I am not a migration agent but I think that this point of view is very optimistic. What do you think at this stage?
I've no idea. The legislation should be introduced in weeks, and could well be in force by Christmas. As to whether existing PRs will be exempted, we'll have to wait and see what it says.

Even if the initial version of the bill does not exempt existing PRs, it may be amended to that effect in committee.

I have been in Australia for 19 months. I do not understand why my MP will hear my concerns if I am not a citizen. The MPs do not represent the PRs, they represent the citizens. I am just a PR-Taxpayer…..So, as we can see, we have restricted rights in this country.
MPs represent *all* their constituents and regularly get involved in the cases of those who are not even PRs.

Some MPs will be more keen to take up a case like this than others. Why not write to your federal MP and see what happens? If he doesn't answer, you can at least remember that when you do get to vote.

Finally, an interesting reasoning from Hon John Cobb MP: “Increasing the two years requirement to three years will allow more time for new arrivals to become familiar with the Australian way of life and the values which they will need to commit to as Australian citizens”. New arrivals? The existing PRs are not new arrivals. Will the law apply only to the new arrivals?

Wait and see.

And if you wish, write to your federal MP in the meantime, asking him or her to raise the issue with the Citizenship Minister.

Jeremy
Old Sep 18th 2005, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Ministers in the Howard government say whatever they think will ingratiate them to the PM. It does not have to make sense or even send a cosnsistent message. "We are all good friends living together but there may be a terrorist wearing a beard hiding under the next park bench"

"The new Act also provides a framework for the collection and use of personal identifiers which may be used in the future.

These will enhance the Government's ability to accurately identify, or authenticate the identity of people seeking to become Australian citizens or seeking evidence of their Australian citizenship." Making it harder, even for DIMIA, to deport ill Australian citizens?
Old Sep 18th 2005, 6:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Did that last week (Did the rest of you?...) No reply so far but will post it if one comes.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Did that last week (Did the rest of you?...) No reply so far but will post it if one comes.
I received an initial reply from my federal MP within 1 hour of emailing him, saying he is "seeking advice on your position considering the new legislation.

As soon as an answer is to hand I will contact you immediately"

This is an MP whose consituency consists part of the Gold Coast.

Quote:

It will do no harm in pointing out that you are a "voter in waiting"

Last edited by Trevglas; Sep 18th 2005 at 7:12 am.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Over the last two years ( I'm not even PR until the end of next Feb) I have gone through hell in this country, emotionally, and physically. I've stuck it out believing that I, as the wife of an Australian, was working towards being part of a country that wanted me as a law-abiding, tax-paying, Australian.
Now I find that they will be:
"Allowing periods of temporary residence in certain curcumstances (sic) to count towards residency requirements." BUT
"Requiring a spouse of an Australian citizen to meet the same requirements for citizenship as most adult applicants. " - so I have to be two years as a PR to apply. Which means, having entered in November 2003, I have no chance of citizenship until AT LEAST March 2009.

Reading that speech it also seems that if The Bloke was working overseas I would be able to apply quicker than I can with both of us living here.
"In the 21st Century, it is reasonable to expect an adult to qualify for citizenship in his or her own right and, with one exception which I will cover shortly, not rely on a relationship with another person.
The necessary exception that does rely on a relationship with an Australian citizen spouse is for the spouses of Australians who spend considerable periods of time working overseas"

Well, the way I feel right now, Australia can stuff its citizenship wherever it likes. I shall take great pride in describing myself as British, and even if it means using RRVs for the rest of my life I no longer intend to get an Aussie passport.

==============

Pollyana,
"To be an immigrant is to be solitary in the midst of millions"

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 18th 2005 at 8:00 am.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Trevglas
I received an initial reply from my federal MP within 1 hour of emailing him, saying he is "seeking advice on your position considering the new legislation.

As soon as an answer is to hand I will contact you immediately"

This is an MP whose consituency consists part of the Gold Coast.

Quote:

It will do no harm in pointing out that you are a "voter in waiting"
Thank you Trevglas for the advise. Below you will find another 'intelligent' proposal to change the citizenship law:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...750170142.html

After reading all the proposals, my conclusion is:

1/ All of us (the existing PRs) are considered potential terrorists
2/ Nobody can speak English properly
3/ The existing PRs have no rights

I agree with the MP that you cannot be an Australian Citizen if you don't speak English. What is the solution? The people who come from an English speaking country or the people who have an Ielts of 7-8 should wait 5 years because the other migrants cannot speak English (under this last proposal).
The critical reasoning is failing, mate!!!!

Anyway, I will write to my Federal MP.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 8:09 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Now I find that they will be:
"Allowing periods of temporary residence in certain curcumstances (sic) to count towards residency requirements." BUT
"Requiring a spouse of an Australian citizen to meet the same requirements for citizenship as most adult applicants. " - so I have to be two years as a PR to apply. Which means, having entered in November 2003, I have no chance of citizenship until AT LEAST March 2009.

Polly
Take a look again at what you've quoted. Yes, spouses will need to meet the same residence requirements as anyone else. Effectively they already do.

The concession for temporary visa holders should help most spouses (plus those who have had 457, SIR, business migrants etc).

As for that concession for spouses of citizens working overseas, it's going to be quite narrowly worded and will cover situations such as employment for the United Nations.

Why not wait to see what the legislation says before going into a panic? And in the meantime, write to your MP.

It wouldn't hurt to write to some of your state Senators as well as they will get to discuss the legislation too (Queensland has 12).

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 18th 2005 at 8:24 am.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 8:12 am
JAJ
Retired

Thank you Trevglas for the advise. Below you will find another 'intelligent' proposal to change the citizenship law:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...750170142.html

After reading all the proposals, my conclusion is:

1/ All of us (the existing PRs) are considered potential terrorists
2/ Nobody can speak English properly
3/ The existing PRs have no rights

I agree with the MP that you cannot be an Australian Citizen if you don't speak English. What is the solution? The people who come from an English speaking country or the people who have an Ielts of 7-8 should wait 5 years because the other migrants cannot speak English (under this last proposal).
The critical reasoning is failing, mate!!!!

Anyway, I will write to my Federal MP.
The proposal for a 5 year wait is likely to stay nothing more than a proposal because the Government has made its mind up about 3 years. They might still be open to persuasion about existing PRs, but they won't turn around and change the principle of what they have decided.

If you do decide to write to your Federal MP, your comments will likely be taken more seriously if you avoid patently untrue statements like "PRs have no rights".

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 18th 2005 at 8:27 am.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you do decide to write to your Federal MP, your comments will likely be taken more seriously if you avoid patently untrue statements like "PRs have no rights".

Jeremy
Ok, Jeremy, I will avoid that statement. I insist that there is a big difference between a citizen and a PR in terms of rights. From my point of view, it is very important to vote, it is very important to have a passport, it is very important to feel that I am committed to the country as the country is committed to me. If I am paying the taxes (which are very high), I would like to decide as a part of this society the future of the country, which is my own future.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 9:06 am
JAJ
Retired

Ok, Jeremy, I will avoid that statement. I insist that there is a big difference between a citizen and a PR in terms of rights. From my point of view, it is very important to vote, it is very important to have a passport, it is very important to feel that I am committed to the country as the country is committed to me. If I am paying the taxes (which are very high), I would like to decide as a part of this society the future of the country, which is my own future.
There is a significant difference between citizens and PRs in terms of rights in Australia. Which is why it's important to take out citizenship.

But there's a much bigger difference between the rights of PRs and other non-citizens in Australia.

If you plan to spend the rest of your life in Australia, does it really matter so much if it takes 3 years as a PR rather than 2 to become a citizen? It's still less than most other countries require.

And processing time is also quicker than what you would experience in most other countries - many take close to 2 years to *process* citizenship applications. Australia tries to be more efficient.

Jeremy
Old Sep 18th 2005, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I have just emailed my MP I will let you know if I get a reply. I am considering sending a copy of the email to my state senator. Basically I stated why it is important for me to get citizenship asap, and asked for him to discuss the matter with the citizenship minister on my behalf.

Katie
Old Sep 18th 2005, 9:27 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I have just emailed my MP I will let you know if I get a reply. I am considering sending a copy of the email to my state senator. Basically I stated why it is important for me to get citizenship asap, and asked for him to discuss the matter with the citizenship minister on my behalf.
Remember that most MPs and Senators know relatively little about the detail of citizenship law. Unless you are very precise in what you ask for, you may get a response from the Citizenship Minister that simply restates what has already been announced.

I'd suggest anyone writing to an MP or Senator should focus on specific matters such as:

- the difficulties encountered by those on temporary visas (like spouses) who face a de-facto waiting period of well over three years for citizenship, and who deserve at least some recognition of time on a temp visa before PR

- exempting existing PRs from the increased residence requirement.

- relate the letter to your own personal circumstances.

If writing to a Senator remember that you have twelve in total to represent you, unless you live in the NT or ACT, in which case it's just two.

One letter does not change government policy but if MPs and Senators get a lot of correspondence on a particular issue it will get noticed. It won't change the principle of what's been decided but may have influence over the details.

Jeremy
Old Sep 18th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
Remember that most MPs and Senators know relatively little about the detail of citizenship law. Unless you are very precise in what you ask for, you may get a response from the Citizenship Minister that simply restates what has already been announced.

I'd suggest anyone writing to an MP or Senator should focus on specific matters such as:

- the difficulties encountered by those on temporary visas (like spouses) who face a de-facto waiting period of well over three years for citizenship, and who deserve at least some recognition of time on a temp visa before PR

- exempting existing PRs from the increased residence requirement.

- relate the letter to your own personal circumstances.

If writing to a Senator remember that you have twelve in total to represent you, unless you live in the NT or ACT, in which case it's just two.

One letter does not change government policy but if MPs and Senators get a lot of correspondence on a particular issue it will get noticed. It won't change the principle of what's been decided but may have influence over the details.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy for the tip. I mentioned in my email that the bill could be amended at a later stage to allow existing premanent residents to be excluded from the changes in legislation and why this was important to me. I hope I was clear enough in my message to him.
Katie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.