Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Wikiposts

Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Since you keep going on about he macho men in Oz, this report is also quite interesting in the UK..

One in two young men think rape may be acceptable in certain circumstances and a quarter think it justifiable to hit a woman, according to a report.

The research by the Zero Tolerance Charitable Trust also reveals one in three girls believe forcing a woman to have sex can be acceptable.

Glasgow and North London university academics surveyed 2,039 young people aged 14 to 21 in Manchester, Glasgow and Fife on behalf of the trust.

The researchers found one in five young men thought forcing their wives to have sex would be acceptable, while one in seven agreed it would be justifiable in a long-term relationship.

The survey also revealed a worrying attitude to violence

One in 10 thought there was nothing wrong with raping a woman if the man was "so turned on he can't stop", while one in six said "if she'd slept with loads of men" was a valid reason.

One in six of the boys questioned thought they might personally force a woman to have sex with them, while nearly one in 10 would rape a woman "if nobody would find out".

The results of mean half of all those surveyed believe rape to be acceptable in some circumstances.

Only two-thirds of the young men surveyed were sure they would not force a woman to have sex.

In comparison one in three women thought it was acceptable under certain circumstances for a man to force a woman into sex.

Sheila Barton, one of the North London University researchers involved in the study, said the results were shocking.

Attitudes towards violence towards women were also investigated and revealed that one in four young men thought hitting a woman could be justified if she had "slept with someone else".

And one in eight said it would be OK to hit a "nagging" woman, while one in 10 said hitting a "disrespectful" woman was justified.
Funny thing about survey's, despite having read many thousands over the years, I have never been asked to parttake in one.

On a different topic, I find the driving here very aggressive in general. People desperate to get ahead of everyone else. I have had several near accidents from people trying to cut in front of me from out of nowhere - now I am more used to it but doesn't make it any more frustrating.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:26 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Shellfish
On a different topic, I find the driving here very aggressive in general. People desperate to get ahead of everyone else. I have had several near accidents from people trying to cut in front of me from out of nowhere - now I am more used to it but doesn't make it any more frustrating.
I agree with you on that I started off in Sydney, where I would imagine it is worse, and I found QLD much better, but I think too many Southerners have moved up here, and it's getting worse here to

Old Dec 21st 2004, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

On a personal level, I wouldn't feel very safe walking around Cairns too much on my own, especially at night. Went out with an Ozzie friend last night and when we went past a particular pub she locked all the doors in the car. She said the area wasn't safe at night in certain areas. :scared:

Also if my teenage daughter was with us there would be no way that I would allow her out on her own at night, with friends yes. Yet, in the part of the uk we are from I have only felt unsafe a couple of times in my whole life.

We arrive home one evening a few weeks back to find a couple of lads just sitting there on our driveway, wouldn't even move when we almost ran them over. Now if I was on my own, coming back to an empty house I would have freaked!

Australia does have its problems too, people are not going to find it like a fairytale.

Just my opinion.

Mandy
Old Dec 21st 2004, 3:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scrawni
Also if my teenage daughter was with us there would be no way that I would allow her out on her own at night, with friends yes. Yet, in the part of the uk we are from I have only felt unsafe a couple of times in my whole life.
I've told my daughter she doesn't get to go out alone till she's 21 !! No matter where in the world we are I'm not really an over protective dad,... am I ?

It look's like your move has been the opposite of ours, we left an area in the UK that even I didn't like walking out alone at night, and then a person was killed (stabbed) in the carpark of our local shopping centre !! The area I am now in is comparitively peaceful But I have also lived in places here that were similar to my UK experiences, and I've also stayed in places in the UK that were similar to my current Australian location.

The problem with being a newcomer to an area/country is knowing which areas are the best. A local would have a much better idea of which area to pick, compared to an immigrant.

Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:12 pm
wombat42

If OZ is a backward, rednecked, unsophisticated place as Stanton, Heraldick
and the other Aussie bashing trolls claim, how was OZ was able to hold what everyone agrees was the best and most successful Olympic games in history
in Sydney 2000, while the UK can't even get to host the Olympics even though it has been desperately trying to for the last 15 years. l remember reading 10 years ago when both Manchester and Sydney were bidding for the Olympics one of the IOC delegates said frankly to a Manchester represenative " How do you expect this Shit hole to compete against the most beautiful city on earth".

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 21st 2004 at 4:18 pm.

Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:40 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wombat42
and the other Aussie bashing trolls claim, how was OZ was able to hold what everyone agrees was the best and most successful Olympic games in history
in Sydney 2000, while the UK can't even get to host the Olympics even though it has been desperately trying to for the last 15 years. l remember reading 10 years ago when both Manchester and Sydney were bidding for the Olympics one of the IOC delegates said frankly to a Manchester represenative " How do you expect this Shit hole to compete against the most beautiful city on earth".
Last I heard was that Manchester had lost the bid to host Manchester City Council

Alistair
Old Dec 21st 2004, 6:58 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the Olympics expanded the heads of some as well as the tax burden on NSW. Sydney was lucky it did not have the security burden of post 911. The best Olympics remark is has been given to every games bar Atlanta. I remember the jokes before Sydney 2000 along the lines of how do we stop the Bogans having a BBQ on the olympic flame.

It was a good olympics but that was a long time ago.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, there is no 'if' - Oz is a backward, rednecked (sic), unsophisticated place.

The Sydney Olympics was very impressive, but what else did you expect?

Oz is obsessed with sport and has a huge inferiority complex : so, in went billions and out came the best Olympics yet. But, the joke is, whereas Oz is obsessed with sport - its favourite sport being 'shouldering the chip' - most of the rest of us don't really give a toss. Unlike Oz, most other countries have far more depth, and don't define themselves by a bunch of stupid games. "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie etc"

What scares the crap out of Aussies is they don't have an identity. Of course, they could engage with Aborigines, but that's not very likely now, is it?
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Firstly, there is no 'if' - Oz is a backward, rednecked (sic), unsophisticated place.
Who says it is ? You ?

Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:33 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

The Sydney Olympics was very impressive, but what else did you expect?

Oz is obsessed with sport and has a huge inferiority complex : so, in went billions and out came the best Olympics yet. But, the joke is, whereas Oz is obsessed with sport - its favourite sport being 'shouldering the chip' - most of the rest of us don't really give a toss. Unlike Oz, most other countries have far more depth, and don't define themselves by a bunch of stupid games. "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie etc"

What scares the crap out of Aussies is they don't have an identity. Of course, they could engage with Aborigines, but that's not very likely now, is it?
"Look at my Imperial College and Oxford University Diplomas - now all genuflect while I toss".
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Who says it is ? You ?
You live in Queensland, 'banana bender territory', yet you still feel the need to ask such questions? Jeez...
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BenandPam
I keep reading about how Australia is behind the UK/Europe/USA by anything from 2 to 10 years. I am interested in specifically how you consider Australia to be behind in terms of attitudes, work practices, consumer goods available (not interested in the availability of Walkers crisps though ).
Australia is certainly behind the UK in the amount of rubbish you find littered around the streets - but they make up for for the amount rubbish on the TV

Andrew
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Quinkana
"Look at my Imperial College and Oxford University Diplomas - now all genuflect while I toss".
I wouldn't expect you to differentiate a diploma from a degree; you haven't disappointed.

Back on the subject of the lack of an Australian identity.

How about you Quink. Are you 4th of 5th generation 'white trash'?
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:42 pm
ABCDiamond

You live in Queensland, 'banana bender territory', yet you still feel the need to ask such questions? Jeez...
You can't even answer a simple question ? You just make statements to put down people, just for the pleasure it gives you to try to make fun of people. Yet you like to say how clever you are.

Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

It can become very tiresome living in sophisticated places....or actually living around people who think they are sophisticated. I lived in mainland Europe for a while and several people mentioned to me that they considered the UK to be a second-rate country totally lacking sophistication. (I hope they weren't talking about me ). Maybe they just saw too many troublesome UK tourists.

I haven't really been much out of Sydney - but I have met a mix of people, more and less sophisticated. Much the same as in the UK and Europe.

I expect you will come accross more "rednecks" the more in to the bush you go.....but that'd be the same in any country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.