Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Wikiposts

Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
There is a series on satellite TV here called Booze Britain. Binge drinking is another thing that the UK is well ahead of Australia at. The under 25's, girls in particular, proudly lead Europe at this.

OzTennis
That really is the most ridiculous example, Teach. Most Aussies are born pi*sheads and proud of it. Even you know that.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Oh yeah? Aus burglary rate is one of the highest (possibly the highest) in the OECD countries. Incidence of rape is much higher than in UK; as is often the case where countries have a backward attitude to women.
Sorry, personal experience tells me the opposite. UK fudge figures for fun - unemployment is at an all time low yet dissability is at an all time high - burglary is at an all time low - break and entry an all time high!!

Mike.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
Sorry, personal experience tells me the opposite. UK fudge figures for fun - unemployment is at an all time low yet dissability is at an all time high - burglary is at an all time low - break and entry an all time high!!

Mike.
Of course, why didn't I think of that - Oz states facts and UK fudges its figures And no doubt you haven't been raped in Oz yet; so we can deduce it's not a problem Down Under.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:18 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Can you flush the bog paper though? Man, I'm sure Greek plumbing can't be THAT bad
Yea... I've been to Greece a couple of time, so I know what you mean.

It's not so much bad drainage. It's just the way plumbing is installed & the materials used, that is years behind the times.

If there's a long winded, awkward, labour intensive way to do it, that's the way it's done here!!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike

Mike.
No crime down under?:
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E26462,00.html

G
Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:24 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

: And no doubt you haven't been raped in Oz yet; so we can deduce it's not a problem Down Under.[/QUOTE]

Even by your standards Mike, this is a crap thing to say.

Paul.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

That really is the most ridiculous example, Teach. Most Aussies are born pi*sheads and proud of it. Even you know that.
Well you were taught by Nobel Prize winners and went to Imperial and Oxford so you must be right, I'm just an unsophisticated colonial (who doesn't drink just out of interest).

The UK used to be a long way behind Australia in alcohol consumption per capita but after being neck and neck in 1995 the UK has just about hit the lead.

"Alcohol consumption per capita peaked in Australia and the United States in the early 1980's. However, it continues to rise in many countries, including the UK and Japan".

Drinking patterns have changed drastically with wine consumption booming in Oz and beer and spirits consumption falling. In the UK the rise of the binge drinker i.e. drinking to get drunk as quickly as possible is well documented. I'm not saying it doesn't happen in Australia too but surely not as bad as any UK town on a Friday or weekend? Even you know that!

OzTennis
Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Well you were taught by Nobel Prize winners and went to Imperial and Oxford so you must be right, I'm just an unsophisticated colonial
At last, something we can both agree on.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Well this is news to me... I always thought that Oz was 9-10 hours in front of the UK. Now you says it's 20 years behind
Old Dec 20th 2004, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah? Aus burglary rate is one of the highest (possibly the highest) in the OECD countries. Incidence of rape is much higher than in UK; as is often the case where countries have a backward attitude to women.
How do you know whether Rape is higher in the UK or Australia? A number of cases are never even reported. Date Rape is very high at the moment especially with the use of drugs in the Uk. Male Rape is also very high, (by other Males) at the moment again not being reported to the police. For the most violent countries UK is the worst in Europe and amongst the western industrial countries UK, Australia and USA are the worst for violent crimes.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty of people in Oz have mullets, wear stone wash jeans and listen to ACDC. Problem is they think they never went out of fashion and have been doing the same stuff since the seventies.

In Britain the mullet had a horrible revival but soon died again.

As for the boozing - Sydney CBD at night is no different to your average English city at night, ie drunks everywhere.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:41 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bondipom
Plenty of people in Oz have mullets, wear stone wash jeans and listen to ACDC. Problem is they think they never went out of fashion and have been doing the same stuff since the seventies.

In Britain the mullet had a horrible revival but soon died again.

As for the boozing - Sydney CBD at night is no different to your average English city at night, ie drunks everywhere.
What's wrong with AC/DC?

Get yourself a font here, make you the talk of the town
http://www.musiceffect.com/fonts/
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:02 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
What's wrong with AC/DC?

Get yourself a font here, make you the talk of the town
http://www.musiceffect.com/fonts/

Yeah and what's wrong with a mullet. :scared:
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:29 am
wombat42

If you look at the statistics crime in OZ has fallen to record levels while it is rising in the UK. MIke Stanton who said sexual assaults and burglaries were higher in OZ would be interested to know that burglaries fell by 28% and sexual assualts by 20%.

Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:32 am
Badge

Australia takes, all maintains some of the good things from the 70s.
And I also believe that there are parts of male society in the UK that are just as abusive to women. Australians may appear to play at being "sexist", but then they will back it up with good manners and a bit of charm which never goes missing with a woman, in my experience, even in these days of enlightenment. I was once chastised for not opening a beer for my wife - OK I got distracted... and it has only happened once.

In my semi-rural fire brigade, we are taught gender equality from Day 1 - the instructors soon stamp out sexist remarks (all from the teenagers).

Some of the good things about australia; state of the art stadiums, , BPAY, driver licenses and rego plates that get issued on the spot(!) This was the biggest surprise for me.

BM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.