Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Wikiposts

Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:01 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Originally Posted by BenandPam
I keep reading about how Australia is behind the UK/Europe/USA by anything from 2 to 10 years. I am interested in specifically how you consider Australia to be behind in terms of attitudes, work practices, consumer goods available (not interested in the availability of Walkers crisps though ).
Some things that feel like the 70s (whether these are true or not, either of the UK then or Oz now, is irrelevant) - note that the retro feel is mostly positive:

- People still use their indicators.
- Shop keepers will tell you that you don't need their product.
- Our local paper seriously suggested making a macramé wall hanging to brighten up the hall.
- People sell stuff by the side of the road (they also have honesty boxes that don't get nicked).
- Knitting, embroidery and making your own clothes are still popular.
- There is a "Buy Australia" campaign.
- Public Toilets are still open and generally well maintained (they also have loo roll - according to my wife).
- The petrol prices change every day - depending on the day of the week.
- The price of petrol goes down as well as up.
- Some roads are still dirt tracks/gravel roads.
- A bar in your sitting room, gold taps and brick feature walls are still considered plus-points by estate agents.
- Outside of the cities the roads are still empty.
- You can still turn right off dual carriageways.
- Internet shopping is poor; people still use the Yellow Pages.
- Generally teenagers don't treat you as a moron.
- Kids still walk and cycle to school (without an adult) and seem to have a lot more freedom generally.

My wife was worried that all the men would be beer-swilling, foul-mouthed, sports-watching sexists, but we haven’t met one yet.

Disclaimer: these comments are based on my own experiences and on the area in which I live. I am sure there are other areas of Australia where the things I have said do not apply.

Regards
Alistair
PS: A friend from Tassie says that it is still like the 50s there.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
My wife was worried that all the men would be beer-swilling, foul-mouthed, sports-watching sexists, but we haven’t met one yet.
Why, haven't you managed to open the front door?

Still, there's always question time in Oz parliament...
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Why, haven't you managed to open the front door?

Still, there's always question time in Oz parliament...
More times than you have opened your mind.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

How's the draft in yours?
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
How's the draft (sic) in yours?
I prefer it bottled.
Guinness Draught: Pure Genius.

Last edited by kirsty&al; Dec 19th 2004 at 11:22 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Careful who you are talking to. He (allegedly) did Physics at Imperial College London as a first degree and then went 'up to Oxford'. His professors won Nobel Prizes and Oxford teaches you to have an open and enquiring mind. Where did he miss out?

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Dec 20th 2004 at 12:35 am.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 12:03 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
I keep reading about how Australia is behind the UK/Europe/USA by anything from 2 to 10 years. I am interested in specifically how you consider Australia to be behind in terms of attitudes, work practices, consumer goods available (not interested in the availability of Walkers crisps though ).
on one issue, I would say Australia is ahead in terms of disability services.

You can get Walkers crisps in Perth at the British Shop in Riveton
Old Dec 20th 2004, 12:34 am
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by diddy
I'd agree with that. I used to get great pizza from a place in FNQ. Never really matched it here. Maybe I'm not eating enough pizza in the UK.

How long before we get told off by SherKhan for talking pizza?

Paul.
LOL Actually I've just had a very tasty pizza funnily enough! Much tastier than the virtual reality ones you lot seem to devour! Having said that, I guess your ones are much lower in fat
ANYWAY, BACK TO TOPIC!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
on one issue, I would say Australia is ahead in terms of disability services.

You can get Walkers crisps in Perth at the British Shop in Riveton
To add to disability services, in the UK is it possible for a woman (teacher) to have a child and be guaranteed a job to return to in 5 years time? No, it's have a child and if you want to continue working it's turn it over to the child minder and get back to work (what's my child's name again child minder?) The Australian policy encourages mother to bring up her child (although you can turn it over to the child minder or husband/partner if you want to return to work, there is a choice). Ahead on maternity/paternity/long service leave I'd say.

Australia is also ahead on history - it's soooo old UK history.

OzTennis
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Got to say, I agree with Alistair.

I would say that the biggest difference that I noticed was crime. Aus is definitely 30 years behind when it comes to crime. Partly why I/we came here. Just recently there was a fight in the middle of Brisbane - no one was hospitalised or arrested - it was teenagers having an argument that got out of hand. This made front page news, and there was calls for an inquiry as to how to make the city center safer. In the UK there can be murder and it doesn't get any coverage.

I/we also noticed toilet paper in public toilets - oh yes, and we noticed public toilets. And (un vandalised) parks for children to play in.

One other thing. Drink driving - in this weeks International Express it states that in UK there is approx 500,000 breath tests per annum. An advert on Aus TV states there are 2,500,000 breath tests per annum in Queensland alone. I do however believe that this is a bigger problem here but am reassured by the fact something is being done about it.

Anyway, midnight here, very late, too many tinnies and still got to drive home (just kidding).

All the best,

Mike.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:18 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
To add to disability services, in the UK is it possible for a woman (teacher) to have a child and be guaranteed a job to return to in 5 years time? No, it's have a child and if you want to continue working it's turn it over to the child minder and get back to work (what's my child's name again child minder?) The Australian policy encourages mother to bring up her child (although you can turn it over to the child minder or husband/partner if you want to return to work, there is a choice). Ahead on maternity/paternity/long service leave I'd say.

Australia is also ahead on history - it's soooo old UK history.

OzTennis
Does this apply to all jobs?

Ta,

Paul.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
Got to say, I agree with Alistair.

I would say that the biggest difference that I noticed was crime. Aus is definitely 30 years behind when it comes to crime. .
Oh yeah? Aus burglary rate is one of the highest (possibly the highest) in the OECD countries. Incidence of rape is much higher than in UK; as is often the case where countries have a backward attitude to women.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Careful who you are talking to. He (allegedly) did Physics at Imperial College London as a first degree and then went 'up to Oxford'. His professors won Nobel Prizes and Oxford teaches you to have an open and enquiring mind. Where did he miss out?

OzTennis
Teach, get over it.

So, you went to the University of Wollgamagooolwagggawompawoop or the local TAFE. OK, it counts for nowt, outside Oz. But, you can take comfort from the fact that somebody, somewhere has heard of it.

Haven't they?
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by diddy
Does this apply to all jobs?

Ta,

Paul.
I'm not sure Paul, I only know about this in teaching because my sister-in-law is a teacher and each time she has had children (3 times) she has had a conserved position - for 7 years I think it is. This conserved job isn't necessarily in the school you taught at before going on maternity leave but an equivalent post nearby at least.

There is a series on satellite TV here called Booze Britain. Binge drinking is another thing that the UK is well ahead of Australia at. The under 25's, girls in particular, proudly lead Europe at this.

OzTennis
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

There is a series on satellite TV here called Booze Britain. Binge drinking is another thing that the UK is well ahead of Australia at. The under 25's, girls in particular, proudly lead Europe at this.

OzTennis
Never any trouble with drinking in Australia:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.