Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Wikiposts

Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

GRADERMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I saw that show!! Do you know what was really amazing a few weeks before the show had been on in UK, the people who saw it were totally running down the pom family and saying how wonderful!!! the oz family were. That has to be the most rose tinted statement ever.

Then this ocker family most of whom had typically never been on a plane. or even out of victoria, had holidayed for 20 years in the caravan park down the road and made comments like we dont like people with accents or from the other side of the world spent an hour being completely ignorant of anythng new or different basically acting like loudmouths.

The pom family were snobs but the aussies certainly did thier best for little redneck australia :scared:
This computer speak is a new language to me, should i enroll in an education programme or maybe i will pick it up as i go along by asking questions.
The ocker family, i think i read about them once but they lived in the nothern part of australia, they chewed clay and spat it on the walls of caves to make paintings, i think they were called aborigines maybe they were were the ones on holiday.
By the way what is a redneck [was it ocker or ochre]
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 6:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Originally Posted by GRADERMAN
By the way what is a redneck
According to http://dictionary.com it is:
1. Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
2. A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

Then.. bigot = One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
Now who does that make me think of .

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
1. Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
2. A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

Then.. bigot = One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
Several folks on here at the moment fit this description unfortunately. So much for Christmas spirit......
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

This computer speak is a new language to me, should i enroll in an education programme or maybe i will pick it up as i go along by asking questions.
The ocker family, i think i read about them once but they lived in the nothern part of australia, they chewed clay and spat it on the walls of caves to make paintings, i think they were called aborigines maybe they were were the ones on holiday.
By the way what is a redneck [was it ocker or ochre]

Absolutely nothing to do with aborigines, why do you assume that??

An ocker is an australian term for a rough lower class person not a racist remark. My comments are in regard to a thread on here where the show was aired in the UK and the family were discussed in a way they came across as great fun aussies and ready to try the other persons holiday, so total surprise when the show was aired here to find otherwise. Interesting nobody has objected to the Pom family being discussed in a negative way

I would imagine these shows pick the "cast" to maximise ratings, for those who have not seen the episode lets just say the theme was to set up Poms with upper class accents with the erm rough class who themsleves would probably describe themself as ockers. Obviously a set up my only surprise was the way the aussies were described as great fun or whatever on this forum, when they made little effort to do anything but knock UK and people with accents etc.

Last edited by jad n rich; Dec 23rd 2004 at 6:54 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Thanks for the information on redneck.
The word BIGOT. i think most people would come under that umbrella
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 8:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Thanks for the information on redneck.
The word BIGOT. i think most people would come under that umbrella
Not sure I agree with you on that. If it was just "One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics" then yes, I would agree, but it does say AND is intolerant of those who differ.

There are many people about who accept that others have their own viewpoint, and yes, even on this forum And you had better agree with me on that !!!

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Specifically how is Australia behind the UK ?

Not sure I agree with you on that. If it was just "One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics" then yes, I would agree, but it does say AND is intolerant of those who differ.

There are many people about who accept that others have their own viewpoint, and yes, even on this forum And you had better agree with me on that !!!
I agree and it just let afew more escape
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 11:33 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

anyone who supports Rugby League LOL
Old Dec 24th 2004, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Saintly1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NJJ
anyone who supports Rugby League LOL
Don't be so cheeky NJJ!

I support Rugby League and try my hardest to understand and accept anyone who supports other sports such as 'Girlieball' and 'Rugby Yawnion'. It's not my fault if i can't.

Merry Christmas
From a Saints Supporter
Old Dec 24th 2004, 9:52 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saintly1
Don't be so cheeky NJJ!

I support Rugby League and try my hardest to understand and accept anyone who supports other sports such as 'Girlieball' and 'Rugby Yawnion'. It's not my fault if i can't.

Merry Christmas
From a Saints Supporter

ok ok so you may be the exception to the rule. Most of the RL lot in my experience are like this that's all. There is one member in particular with RL propaganda posted all over his profile who posts on these forums that immediately springs to mind
Old Dec 24th 2004, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

After reading some of the posts had to add my tuppence worth,

1) The mullet is King
2) Jeans and flip flops are ideal interview clothing
3) It's fine to say the 'c' word every second sentence as long as you sat sorry after.
4)Car driving is an aquired art,think the standards poor in the UK try watching them over here,I'd laugh if the road death toll wasn't so ridiculously high!
5)The good old Aussie pub,Pokie machines,snotty nosed kids waiting for their parents to chuck them some chips while they drink themselves senseless every Thursday,miles of Formica and lovely 70's lighting.
6)A better class of thief,had my car broken into (again) but at least the person had the decency to empty the glove compaertment sort througth the good stuff,pile the rest in neat little piles around the car and empty the rubbish!!!!
7)AFL is the only sport!(in Victoria anyhow)forget any discussion on anything else(unless Australia is winning) a prime example,the bike racing in the olympics,Aussie versus Brit,Aussie winning Brit ppasses him,cut to beach volleyball,Swimming Aussie past by a.n Other cut to Shooting.
8)The open air barbie areas with free gas and electric,what an invention!