Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Special needs services

Special needs services

Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Badasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Special needs services

Before I even think of applying to go to Australia or New Zealand, I have to consider my child needs. My son has autism and what I want to know is, are there any services or resources that my son and I can tap into in Australia or New Zealand. Any info would be appreciate.

Cheers.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:05 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Special needs services

Originally Posted by Badasg
Before I even think of applying to go to Australia or New Zealand, I have to consider my child needs. My son has autism and what I want to know is, are there any services or resources that my son and I can tap into in Australia or New Zealand. Any info would be appreciate.

Cheers.
Here's a couple of links. Depending upon the level of his disability it may be quite difficult to get a visa. Don't know all the in's and outs but would be worth discussing with an agent.

http://www.autismqld.com.au/

http://education.qld.gov.au/curricul...s/support.html

There are those who feel that the support an inclusion that occurs in the UK is better than in Oz. We are just starting out in the process and have yet to experience school life and autism.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:49 am
RooBoy

"Badasg" <member56802@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Before I even think of applying to go to Australia or New Zealand, I
    > have to consider my child needs. My son has autism and what I want to
    > know is, are there any services or resources that my son and I can tap
    > into in Australia or New Zealand. Any info would be appreciate.
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

We are fairly well advanced here now.....anything in particular that you are
looking for

Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:26 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.

Hi there Badasg,

I watched a programme a few months back about the school provision for autism in Oz and it just seemed fantastic. Heres a link for some schools.
Andrea
xx

http://www.aspect.org.au/our%20services/schools.asp

http://www.aspect.org.au/our%20servi...ols/southc.asp
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Badasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond reputeBadasg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooBoy
"Badasg" <member56802@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Before I even think of applying to go to Australia or New Zealand, I
    > have to consider my child needs. My son has autism and what I want to
    > know is, are there any services or resources that my son and I can tap
    > into in Australia or New Zealand. Any info would be appreciate.
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

We are fairly well advanced here now.....anything in particular that you are
looking for
I know that Jake and I are going to find it hard to get a visa. In the meantime I am interested in if there are any special schools, support groups and whether disabled people get what we call here in the u.k disability benefits in Oz or in NZ.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

I know that Jake and I are going to find it hard to get a visa. In the meantime I am interested in if there are any special schools, support groups and whether disabled people get what we call here in the u.k disability benefits in Oz or in NZ.

With all due respect you can see why it will be hard to get a visa if you're wishing to emigrate hoping to claim disability benefit!

Yes here in Australia there are disability benefits and carers payments - I could not tell you the exact criteria you or Jake would need to fulfil but I suspect that most autistic children would qualify.
Yes there are special schools.
Yes there are support groups.

I'm afraid I do not know about NZ.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mvt550
With all due respect you can see why it will be hard to get a visa if you're wishing to emigrate hoping to claim disability benefit!

Yes here in Australia there are disability benefits and carers payments - I could not tell you the exact criteria you or Jake would need to fulfil but I suspect that most autistic children would qualify.
Yes there are special schools.
Yes there are support groups.

I'm afraid I do not know about NZ.
Thanks for information. Wow I am not going to Oz to claim Disablity benefits. That would be sad. However regardless of the state benefits it would be hard to get to get to oz because of Jakes disablity. What pisses me off is that Brit is such a soft touch and anybody can claim benefits and they are fit to work.I just wish Brit was same as Oz.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:35 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers.
work with someone who's child has Autism and she has no complaints, know another who's Autistic son get respite at weekends so seems a few services around.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 9:27 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Our daughter was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism in the UK when she was just over three. She was placed in a supported mainstream nursery place in the UK and stayed there until we came out to Brisbane in June. Here we ghoing to place her in mainstream school. She will get roughly 2/3 hours of teacher aide time a week and an Advisory Visiting Teacher once a week to work with the teacher. There are schools which have units called SEU (Special Education Units) that are able to support students. Benefits are available after the two year qualifying period although are means tested.

If there's anything specific that you want to know feel free to drop me a pm.

Cheers

Ginny