Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spas - do i leave it on all the time or just when needed? :)

spas - do i leave it on all the time or just when needed? :)

Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spas - do i leave it on all the time or just when needed? :)

Originally Posted by Rossi
Do you leave your car ticking over all night , so it's ready for the morning??
We used to get this question all the time in the UK regarding the immersion heater

On average, in well designed spas the heaters are sized to raise the water temperature by 18 deg per hour.... recommended spa temp is 35 to 38 degrees,
now assuming ambient air temp of 15 deg, the spa water temp will be in the region of 12 degrees sooooooooo should be up and ready within 2 hours of turning the heater on

It is really more important to keep an eye on the water balance and the levels of your disinfectant
This link is well worth a read for ALL spa and Pool owners

http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/nphp/enhea...f/heatspas.pdf
That is a very good link...

But note: "Use of the spa should be restricted to 15 minutes"....yeah right its just cost me $30 to heat the thing up. I'm not going to be getting out in 15 minutes.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Do you leave your car ticking over all night , so it's ready for the morning??
We used to get this question all the time in the UK regarding the immersion heater

On average, in well designed spas the heaters are sized to raise the water temperature by 18 deg per hour.... recommended spa temp is 35 to 38 degrees,
now assuming ambient air temp of 15 deg, the spa water temp will be in the region of 12 degrees sooooooooo should be up and ready within 2 hours of turning the heater on
Your spa obviously has a significantly bigger heater than most.

We have a 3kw heater in ours (many have only half this) and when we got it 10 days ago we half filled with water from the hot tap and half with cold water so it started at around 25C. It took just under 6 hours to get to 37C (around 1200 litres, well insulated spa) so the temperature rise was around 2 degrees an hour.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spottydog
Your spa obviously has a significantly bigger heater than most.

We have a 3kw heater in ours (many have only half this) and when we got it 10 days ago we half filled with water from the hot tap and half with cold water so it started at around 25C. It took just under 6 hours to get to 37C (around 1200 litres, well insulated spa) so the temperature rise was around 2 degrees an hour.
Did you not see the wording " Well designed spas "
I suggest you replace the heater with a standalone gas unit ( even the smallest one is around 25kW equivalent)
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Did you not see the wording " Well designed spas "
I suggest you replace the heater with a standalone gas unit ( even the smallest one is around 25kW equivalent)
At a cost of at least $3000 for the gas heater (plus conversion costs) it really isn't worth converting a single spa to gas (payback period was a long time even when compared to the electricity bill for keeping an inefficient spa hot all the time).

We actually have one of the most well insulated spas on the market here (Jacuzzi) as it is designed for the US/Canadian market so aims to keep the water hot in frozen winters as well as hot summers.