Reload this Page >

Sparky training , how long?

Sparky training , how long?

Old Aug 30th 2003, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default Sparky training , how long?

Hello all sparky's (and BB).

Just wondered how long you have to train for to get your ticket.

Idle curiousity as I reckon the guys who did our place got their "licence" of the back of a conrflake box!

No offence to all you good guys!!
Old Aug 30th 2003, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Think all trades are pretty much the same. My husband did a 3 year apprenticeship and then a further 1 year master craftsman qualification. He is a plumber but I think sparkys, brickies etc have the same set up.

Did the guys that did your place appear normal?! Were they advertised as qualified - if not there are some really dodgy people out there! We only found out last year (after living here for 10 years) that none of our lighting is earthed - :scared: .
Old Aug 30th 2003, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Amanda & Paul

Ahhhhh we were young and naive when we bought this place.

In three years we look like we should be collecting our pensions!

The various guys we had ion all seemed good to start with, but we discovered all sorts of stuff after they'd gone.

I'm not really bothered, I've learnt to fix loads of stuff myself.

As a testament to your husbands profession, we've had 2 plumbers in and they've both been great.

The reason I was wondering was I phoned my brother in Brissie this morning who was having a mare of a job fitting some some lighting. His view is much the same as mine. "I'm not paying to have a bloody socket or light switch put in!". We both know the law in Oz but it does seem silly that you can't at least do some stuff yourself.

Anyway cheers for your reply. BTW where are you headed?
Old Aug 30th 2003, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

We hear you! We were young and vibrant when we moved into our place - a 1920's house in need of total modernisation. Eleven years of DIY/tradesmen later and two children, we are downtrodden and partly grey!! Hoping that a move to the sun and house with micro mortgage will take the load off.

We are headed for Brisbane - not sure whereabouts yet. Sea or acres not sure which although will probably head for north suburbs as they seem more reasonable (we are hoping for Southfork!!) How about you guys? - you have family there which must be a help.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Amanda & Paul,

We're going to Perth as H's family are there and we like the place.

I know that bruv lives in Brissie but experience has shown us that any more than 5 days iun close proximity leads to a re-enactment of WW2!. OK maybe not that bad but we do get on each others nerves a bit.

Having said that it's nice to have rellies on the same continent not to mention that little 'un idolises his "hunky uncie" so we have a pre-arranged place for holidays.

Have you been to Brisbane to scout it out? Nice place, I liked it all except for the humidity. My brother's place is about 45 mins west of Brisbane near Lake Manchester. Quite a few large plots out there. Jon's place was in need of quite a bit of work but large 4 bed on 42 acres of land (most of which needs clearing) was about £127K. Very peaceful place until the possums start fighting.
We think the minimum sub division has been set at 40 acres in that area. So not much chance of buying a plot and building a second house to sell unfortunately.

Hopefully going in the next 3 weeks subject
Old Aug 31st 2003, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nick, Heather and Jack

We have heard that Perth is a fantastic place - nice and warm but with cooling breezes. We are a little worried about the humidity in Brisbane but hope that it is something you can get used to - lets hope so eh!

3 weeks to go - you must be so excited. We are stuck here until we sell our place, it's only been on the market for 3 weeks. We have had an offer but was lower than we are prepared to go at the moment - give us another 2 months and we will be snapping their hands off! We sent our meds and police checks back in June and have been assured by our agent that our visas should be in the post within the next month - lets hope so. Once we have them I think our tune will change somewhat and we may become a little keener to sell.

Both Paul and myself have siblings that we don't get on that well with/both totally poles apart from us so we know what you are saying. I always feel jealous of those that get on well with their siblings - must be great. Our kids absolutely love them both as well strange really - must be common thing.

Alway enough waffling - hope all goes well for you guys keep us all posted. Next time you visit your brother post us and perhaps we can all meet up.

All the best and good luck

Amanda, Paul, Hollie and Ashley
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Amanda & Paul

I wanr you now, last year my brother said there were three levels of temp in QLD. Hot, Dammed Hot and I'm Bloody Metling. Mind you this is from the guy who drove across the Nullabour in a Land Rover with all the bits money could buy...... except air conditioning.

It does get dammed humid so I'd advise air con and a pool to come home to!

As far as the house goes we were inmuch the same position. Our childminder was rtying to buy it and we said we'd do her a deal (i.e. no agents costs) but if we got a good offer we'd have to sell. 10 weeks and not a sniff! Eventually our childminder got an offer but it meant we dropped about 15k to get the deal sorted.

We're off to the bloodsuckers... sorry solicitors tomorrow to sign the contracts, then we really have to get moving!

I don't know about excited, more like totally petrified but I reckon we'll be OK.

Hope all goes well for you and I'll keep in touch.

Nick