Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sparkie just arrived in perth.and have good advise

sparkie just arrived in perth.and have good advise

Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:28 am
Just Joined

perth wootts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sparkie just arrived in perth.and have good advise

we have been in perth 3 weeks having got here on a skilled migrant visa.( 18 months from application to getting here) i am a sparky and if you are after a job out here be prepared for a bit of a wait to get your licence due to red tape. if you have a jib card or can get one it will save some time. please see baldbuuts threads for more info. that guy is my hero. loads of good advise for sparkies. if you are renting make sure you have refs or some cash in the bank. we had some trouble because at the moment there are loads of people trying to rent houses and its not first come first serve. you view a house with loads of other people and the owner chooses who he thinks will pay the rent every 2 weeks. the good news is perth is wonderfull what a lifestyle. we just furnished a house with nice stuff for half the cost in the u.k.
i got a good job today. if you have good refs they will take you on even without a licence. our dream has come true. stick at it be patient and yours will too.
the wootts
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

russell deane is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a spark and the fact that you can get a job iwthout a licence is good news as I didn't know that.

What kind of job have you got and generally what is the job situation out there. I have been working in the oil and gas industry here in the uk and was hoping to work in that when we come over but I do not know if there is much of that industry there.

What red tape do you have to go through to get the licence?

Russell
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by russell deane
I am a spark and the fact that you can get a job iwthout a licence is good news as I didn't know that.

What kind of job have you got and generally what is the job situation out there. I have been working in the oil and gas industry here in the uk and was hoping to work in that when we come over but I do not know if there is much of that industry there.

What red tape do you have to go through to get the licence?

Russell
there are 20 to 30 jobs advertised in the paper each week for electricians. some pay extremley well if you want to work in the mineing industry on a fly in fly out basis. lots of house bashing out here but what they need desperaltly are industrial guys. if you are good at working from schematics and you can connect more than 2 wires together then your in with a shout. they will take you on without a licence but only if your refs are good enough to guarantee that it's obvious you will pass the necessary theory and practical exam.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:07 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

this makes a nice refreshing read...I'm glad things have fell into place for you...Perth is where Im hoping to end up
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:18 pm
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

I know this is a little off the thread but taking it a step on, What's the jobs situation for industrial control ?? (instrumentation, plc programming and SCADA)
Does that even require a licence ??
Old Feb 16th 2004, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

hullygully is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by J+J
I know this is a little off the thread but taking it a step on, What's the jobs situation for industrial control ?? (instrumentation, plc programming and SCADA)
Does that even require a licence ??
Hi, another query re PLC/DCS/SCADA etc etc. I'm a Systems Engineer having spent the last 10 or so years on DCS and PLC systems. As a fallback I'm also qualified as a time served electrician. I'm an MIEE and am considering joining the IEAust (first I've got to fill in my chartership forms, only had them for 10 years!) and have experience in nuclear, chemical, food, pharm and petro-chem to name a few.

Looking at the skilled occupation list the nearest I can see is either "Engineer - Electrical Engineer" or "Engineer - Bulding and Engineering Professionals (not elsewhere classified)" - what do I apply under?.

Any advice/comments most gratefully received
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by hullygully
Hi, another query re PLC/DCS/SCADA etc etc. I'm a Systems Engineer having spent the last 10 or so years on DCS and PLC systems. As a fallback I'm also qualified as a time served electrician. I'm an MIEE and am considering joining the IEAust (first I've got to fill in my chartership forms, only had them for 10 years!) and have experience in nuclear, chemical, food, pharm and petro-chem to name a few.

Looking at the skilled occupation list the nearest I can see is either "Engineer - Electrical Engineer" or "Engineer - Bulding and Engineering Professionals (not elsewhere classified)" - what do I apply under?.

Any advice/comments most gratefully received
you sound like you are well qualified so going down the root as electrical engineer would seem the best option. if you go down the root as an electrician TRA will want to see a job ref from the company you are presently employed with, to prove that you are on the tools. i cant really comment on how TRA class engineers. there are however jobs advertised in perth for electrical engineers