Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

spain to australia

spain to australia

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:27 am
Just Joined

clariss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spain to australia

Just wondering if anyone has moved from Spain to Australia or vice versa? If so did it work out....
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

katana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: spain to australia

No but we're thinking of Moving from France & would be interested to know if it would be easier to return to the UK for a short time & go from there.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:36 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katana
No but we're thinking of Moving from France & would be interested to know if it would be easier to return to the UK for a short time & go from there.
Not quite France or Spain, but we emigrated from Holland just over a year ago, and with regards to application times, it did make some difference (and other expats around europe had the same) but it is nothing worth worrying about.

Why move to the UK, and then Oz and pay out more money for the move etc etc. There are plenty of removal companies all over europe that ship to Oz, flights are easy to organize, and definitely not dearer than the UK IMO, so why would you want to do it ? If you are looking at migration agents, use one in Oz not in Europe. We used gomatilda, and they where great, but dont fall into the trap of using one based in Europe, just because they are close by and it makes things easier. It will in most cases only cost you more for a lesser service (in many cases)

Good luck in your decisions on what to do. We have no regrets, thats for sure. In many ways I actually miss my holidays in France every year more than the UK or Holland (but we are going to France in 2009 for a holiday )
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

My Dad and Step-Mum appear to be doing Perth -> Spain soon.

They are fed up with nothing to do, no culture and the influx of rules and regulations that a Labour government is bringing in.

They see it as going the same way the UK did, but a few years behind.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bibbs
My Dad and Step-Mum appear to be doing Perth -> Spain soon.

They are fed up with nothing to do, no culture and the influx of rules and regulations that a Labour government is bringing in.

They see it as going the same way the UK did, but a few years behind.
One of my good mates has lived in Spain for 5 years and is selling up and another i know lasted 1 year. It's not that they did not like it but Spain is a very tough country to get on in, in many ways. Most of the time you are dealing with people all related and backhanders and corrupt mayors and dodgy planning applications. Much the same all over the world but Spain is apparently something else. Spain is finished imo and I agree with you on Perth but I don't mind Perth being 20 years behind
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

What is this British obsession with Perth? Really its only good to live in if you made your money working in the mines for a couple of years then finished all cashed up.

There are other places in Australia ya know.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clariss
Just wondering if anyone has moved from Spain to Australia or vice versa? If so did it work out....
A Spanish friend of mine has recently moved to Perth. She is married to an Aussie. I know her from the UK, where we worked together. She had moved back to Spain but found that job prospects there are extremely dismal and that the economy is basically f**ked - which is the complete opposite of Perth.

She loves it here.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:47 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clariss
Better off staying in Australia because job prospects for non spanish speakers are poor. Spain is a good place to retire to for English speakers but shit for those that need to work. Housing costs in relation to wages are also high especially near the big cities.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 12:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Better off staying in Australia because job prospects for non spanish speakers are poor. Spain is a good place to retire to for English speakers but shit for those that need to work. Housing costs in relation to wages are also high especially near the big cities.
My Spanish friend, who is a qualified electrical engineer, could only earn about 25% of what she is earning in Perth - with a similar cost of living.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:50 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My Spanish friend, who is a qualified electrical engineer, could only earn about 25% of what she is earning in Perth - with a similar cost of living.
Can well believe this as Spain has some of the poorest wages in Western Europe. Also Perth has a similiar climate to Mediterranean Spain.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
What is this British obsession with Perth?
There are other places in Australia ya know.
Well I'm not British and I was born in Perth. I have ALL my family there, and that's why I want to go back.

From what I gather, from my backpacking mates :

Sy : Like London - expensive and crowded.
Bris : Good.
Mel : Good.
Adl : Yawn.
Hob : Ha ha ha - no seriously ..
Per : Good, and not so busy as the east coast.

Most my mates who did the 6 months tour thing ended up staying in Perth longer than the rest as they enjoyed the attitude and area more than the east coast.