Spain/Australia

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spain/Australia

We did think long and hard about europe (well spain actually) as a destination and all its advantages - closer to family... mmmmmmmmmmm... closer to family... that was it in the end.
We went to the trouble of taking spanish lessons and i do love the authentic spanish culture - indeed we have travelled in spain and other spanish speaking countries and really enjoyed it. having said that the language was a deciding factor when i considered the effect on our teenage children - it would be much harder for them to settle in a new school with a different language and they're all at crucial exam times. Also so much of spain has the worst of what's english that it really would be unbearable!

Originally Posted by RichS
After viewing the replies perhaps a better phrased question might be:

If we make the assumption that you and your family were able to communicate fluently in the local language, and the country was able to provide similar career opportunities, would you have looked at other countries in Europe.

For my case - If I was fluent in say Greek/Portugese/Spanish and career opportunity existed there I daresay I'd have moved there rather than here. always fancied the meditteranean lifestyle more than the northern european one. I also reckon I have more in comon with the average euro than the average aussie.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 11:17 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

If that were the case in Spain then I'd definately avoid it because it would be full of poms

My aunt has just visited here in Brisbane and her parting words were that she cant see whats here that we wouldnt find in Spain. Cant see the similarity myself, but thats probably due to too many 18-30 hols in Benidorm!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I have never been to Spain, but I reckon even if I had I would still pick Oz over it. I have family in Oz, the closest being my sister, who I can't wait to see again. I also love the culture there as well as the climate + no koalas in Spain.

From Katie
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

I like Madrid and love Barcelona but couldn't afford to live in either place unless we wanted to down size living accomadation. We thought seriously about moving to Spain a couple of years ago and took the Spanish lessons, bought apartment on Costa del Sol, etc. When we looked closely though, particularly during off peak times we realised that it would be really hard to make a living and also that the expat community are living from day to day happy to make just enough to get by (except the drup barons of course!).
Our daughters did not want to move to Spain but can't wait to get to Oz.
It will however break my heart when we have to sell our apartment next year.

CK
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 6:09 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichS
After viewing the replies perhaps a better phrased question might be:

If we make the assumption that you and your family were able to communicate fluently in the local language, and the country was able to provide similar career opportunities, would you have looked at other countries in Europe.

For my case - If I was fluent in say Greek/Portugese/Spanish and career opportunity existed there I daresay I'd have moved there rather than here. always fancied the meditteranean lifestyle more than the northern european one. I also reckon I have more in comon with the average euro than the average aussie.
Yes ...husband wanted different .....he learnt Spanish to go with it, I thought I couldn't get job in my IT field to go with him (Europe wise....cause I only have one language) ....so he chose Aus to get us all over language barrier - I believe if it wasn't for me ......we would have been in mainland Europe being very happy!
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sandra
Yes ...husband wanted different .....he learnt Spanish to go with it, I thought I couldn't get job in my IT field to go with him (Europe wise....cause I only have one language) ....so he chose Aus to get us all over language barrier - I believe if it wasn't for me ......we would have been in mainland Europe being very happy!
I have been living in Turkey for over ten years now and I have been very happy there. I do speak fluent turkish so I have had no trouble with communicating.

I really like it there and I live in a lovely seaside town heaped with roman history and ruins, beautiful beaches and clear waters.

I have also lived in Cyprus, Italy, Greek Islands and Spain.

We are now off to Australia for a new challenge. Why are we going? Who knows :scared: Only joking just wanted to try the other side of the world

The worlds your oyster these days.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 8:34 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debsy
I have been living in Turkey for over ten years now and I have been very happy there. I do speak fluent turkish so I have had no trouble with communicating.

I really like it there and I live in a lovely seaside town heaped with roman history and ruins, beautiful beaches and clear waters.

I have also lived in Cyprus, Italy, Greek Islands and Spain.

We are now off to Australia for a new challenge. Why are we going? Who knows :scared: Only joking just wanted to try the other side of the world

The worlds your oyster these days.
The world is definitely your oyster. I've lived and worked in UK, France, Spain, Italy, HK, India, Middle East, now Central Europe and all of it has been tremendously interesting, often exciting, mostly enjoyable (hated Qatar). NZ too, a possibility for longer term.

Language should not present a problem to anybody of average intelligence. Cultural differences might.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Don
The world is definitely your oyster. I've lived and worked in UK, France, Spain, Italy, HK, India, Middle East, now Central Europe and all of it has been tremendously interesting, often exciting, mostly enjoyable (hated Qatar). NZ too, a possibility for longer term.

Language should not present a problem to anybody of average intelligence. Cultural differences might.

I've also lived in Europe in a couple of different countries and it is easy to pick up the language, if you've got a feel for it. You can become near native. I do think it's particularly hard for English speakers to learn other languages, for instance Dutch, because the Dutch usually speak such good English themselves it's easier to continue in English. I presume the same will be in other Euro countries. And some people have absolutely no gift in the foreign language department, believe me!