Reload this Page >

The Southport School

The Southport School

Old Oct 18th 2011, 9:43 am
Just Joined

suunyday is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile The Southport School

Morning all,

Just wondered if anyone had any knowledge or experience of this school for a 15 yr old Rugby playing son.
Also knowledge /experience of St Hildas for 12 yr old girl??

Doing a reccy next week and trying to organise school visits....

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Southport School

Two very highly regarded schools - possibly considered the best (and most expensive). I know a family who sent their boy to TSS, he was ok for the first few years, BUT because he wasn't greatly academic they had no real interest in him. Offered no support for him to find apprenticeships etc. The daughter of the family was sent to St Hilda's. She was miserable, wasn't bullied per se but was made to feel uncomfortable because whilst they were pretty well off, she was not a child who paraded her wealth. They took her out and sent her to the nearest State High for her last three years where she was a lot happier.

Just my personal experience. Obviously there are plenty of people who love both of them for whatever reason but I do sometimes wonder, having spoken to some people who's kids are there, if they are only there for the kudos, rather than anything else. Without a doubt kids leave with excellent results and a brilliant education, I'm not saying they don't.

In all honesty, I will never suggest or promote a school for someone moving to the Coast. What works for me and mine or anyone else, may well be totally wrong for your child and visa versa. In six years I've not found a High School on the Coast that is failing or performing worse than any other. Just that one school with the best rep could be completely wrong for one child.

You're doing the right thing by visiting the schools, only you and your child can determine whether a particular school is suitable. Good luck with it. When the child is happy with a school, it does make the whole move soooooo much easier.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that sets TSS and St. Hildas apart from all the other schools is that they are single sex schools. TSS is the only boys only school in Queensland I believe. That might be one reason good academic results. The kids don't spend their time behind the bike sheds snogging.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
The thing that sets TSS and St. Hildas apart from all the other schools is that they are single sex schools. TSS is the only boys only school in Queensland I believe. That might be one reason good academic results. The kids don't spend their time behind the bike sheds snogging.
You're naive right?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived on the GC our next door neighbor send their son to TSS they use to say over the years the quality of teaching has gone down the only thing which has gone up it's their fees, they thought Benowa State High school had better quality teaching than the TSS.
And their daughter went ST. Hildas & they said they were let down by both school.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
When we lived on the GC our next door neighbor send their son to TSS they use to say over the years the quality of teaching has gone down the only thing which has gone up it's their fees, they thought Benowa State High school had better quality teaching than the TSS.
And their daughter went ST. Hildas & they said they were let down by both school.
If they left school and ended up writing English with the quality of your grammar I would say they were let down. I thought Benowa State High was conceived as somewhere for the kids to go when they got fed up with hanging around the streets.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

If they left school and ended up writing English with the quality of your grammar I would say they were let down. I thought Benowa State High was conceived as somewhere for the kids to go when they got fed up with hanging around the streets.
Did my name didn't give it away English isn't my mother tongue, so why should I care if my grammar isn't up to standard.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that sets TSS and St. Hildas apart from all the other schools is that they are single sex schools. TSS is the only boys only school in Queensland I believe. ...
Like all other states Queensland has a lot of single sex schools.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:23 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of single sex schools in Queensland! I can think of at least 6 boys only schools off the top of my head and according to google there are at least 11 boys secondary schools in Brisbane alone!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

What a rude thing to say.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
There are loads of single sex schools in Queensland! I can think of at least 6 boys only schools off the top of my head and according to google there are at least 11 boys secondary schools in Brisbane alone!
I can list 5 boys only schools within about five or six km's of my house.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
Like all other states Queensland has a lot of single sex schools.
What do you mean by lots? There are only a handful state wide and only 2 on the Gold Coast, TSS & St. Hildas.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by lots? There are only a handful state wide and only 2 on the Gold Coast, TSS & St. Hildas.
You said one boys only school in Queensland. There are at least a dozen single sex schools within ten km's of my house for starters - more than a handful state wide I'd say.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

But you stated that you believed TSS was the only boys school in QLD. It's not, it's the only one on the GC.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Around 50.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.