Southport QLD??

Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Southport QLD??

I've spent a lot of time looking at the new apartment high rises that are springing up in Southport. It all looks very nice and it appears they are spending an awful lot of money on the area. I can walk to work from there, get buses from there, get trains from there, my building will have a gym, pool, bbq area, shops etc etc. We'll be near everywhere we want to be. So thats where I'll be looking to stay when we get there. However, we don't have kids, so I think maybe its not for youngsters.

Tracy
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi, its definately got me worried though. We're moving from a sleepy Suffolk Village with 2 kids who come from a small school! I am going to be studying at The Goldcoast hairdressing college (was going to be the Brisbane one) but i'm staring to have second thoughts! Perhaps I should stick to plan A and go to Brisbane?

Would I be better off living in a suburb on the Gold Coast or a suburb near Brisbane?

I'm confused now!!!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Hi, its definately got me worried though. We're moving from a sleepy Suffolk Village with 2 kids who come from a small school! I am going to be studying at The Goldcoast hairdressing college (was going to be the Brisbane one) but i'm staring to have second thoughts! Perhaps I should stick to plan A and go to Brisbane?

Would I be better off living in a suburb on the Gold Coast or a suburb near Brisbane?

I'm confused now!!!

Hiya mate

LOL you get yourself in a right pickle sometimes!!!!!!

Tracy
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by tasmas
Hiya mate

LOL you get yourself in a right pickle sometimes!!!!!!

Tracy
you're right there!

I just think i'm getting things sorted then i read something else!

I don't know whether i'n coming or going!

On the one hand I don't want to have to commute on a train into Brisbane everyday which is what i would have to do if i went to the Brisbane one, but then again I don't want to move to a place that is as bad as this lot say it is either!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Mind you we will look to live in a suburb outside of Southport anyway, I've heard Ashmore and Helensvale are nice, any comments?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nicewannabees is just really nice

Originally Posted by stumpysean
you're right there!

I just think i'm getting things sorted then i read something else!

I don't know whether i'n coming or going!

On the one hand I don't want to have to commute on a train into Brisbane everyday which is what i would have to do if i went to the Brisbane one, but then again I don't want to move to a place that is as bad as this lot say it is either!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Mind you we will look to live in a suburb outside of Southport anyway, I've heard Ashmore and Helensvale are nice, any comments?
Helensvale really nice, my Oh brother an family live there. we were there at xmas/new year. They have 2 young kidz 10 and 7, who attend a good local primary school, close to water park, shopping centre, surfers paradise beach and gold coast, about 1 hr drive to Brissy or a good train service that we used several times. lots of english people seem to have settled in and around this area also. Heard asmore is really nice too but never actually been to. Good luck! x
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wannabees
Helensvale really nice, my Oh brother an family live there. we were there at xmas/new year. They have 2 young kidz 10 and 7, who attend a good local primary school, close to water park, shopping centre, surfers paradise beach and gold coast, about 1 hr drive to Brissy or a good train service that we used several times. lots of english people seem to have settled in and around this area also. Heard asmore is really nice too but never actually been to. Good luck! x

Thanks, its nice to hear some postives!

i'm sure theres good and bads everywhere.............
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

My two penneth worth...

Find a rental for about 2-3 weeks so you have a bit of time to

1. get over the the jet lag

2. get over the enormity of what you have just done by moving from the other side of the world in 1 day!!!

Then get travelling aroung the burbs.....

When we arrived I had 1 son going to scholl in Southport and 1 going to Toowong(?) in Brisbane so we looked at Helensvale and Ashmore which I liked and also Pacific Pines where we almost bought after 4 days here!! Thank goodness we didnt because I went off it after a week!! Just too big and spread out for me.... The other 2 are nice though..

Then the youngest changed schools to Southport so we could look wherever we liked on The Gold Coast not just the top bit!!!

We now live in Sorrento, which is near Bundall, Ashmore rd, Broadbeach, Surfers, Robina..... close to everything really!! The local transport is very reliable and punctual and you can get from South to north quite easily. However its a quiet area so a young couple might not like it and the properties are quite old too ( not all of them though) Once you arrive decide what it is you want from your home and look for that, then narrow down the areas later. I wanted to see the sea after moving here.. after a few days realised I hadnt won the lottery so lowered it to a pool for my teens!! Didnt want to live on a large estate etc etc etc

Sorry for going on but just my view...
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire Bear
Hi every one.

Just wondered if anyone has any opinions on what Southport is like on the whole? Just trying to get some ideas as getting a lil bit closer to finding out where me and OH can both work. Thanks Claire

Hi Claire Bear,

Southport have 3 parts the good, the bad & the ugly, the good area is close to Benowa, Bundal & Chevron Island, the ugly part is close to Labrador, I have been told.
Southport has shopping centre where is called Australia Fair which surrounded by loads of shops & offices, if you live in Southport you would be very close to Hospitals, about 10 mins drive from Southport main beach, Olympian size Swimming pool & Surfers Paradise beach.
I live in Southport myself where I live is only 5 mins away from Chevron Island & Benowa/ Bundal.
I'm very happy with my area have extremely nice neighbours, Very good schools around here, but for some people think of Southport as being a rough area, I don’t really know why as most of them don’t ever even lived here.
IMO I haven’t had problem in the area, & everything is so close to me, I think this is where Gold Coast started as it has got loads of old buildings.
If you need to know more about the area I'll be happy to guide you about it, just PM me if you like. Fx

Last edited by chris and farideh; Jul 10th 2008 at 1:32 am.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:37 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Hi Claire Bear,

Southport have 3 parts the good, the bad & the ugly, the good area is close to Benowa, Bundal & Chevron Island, the ugly part is close to Labrador, I have been told.
Southport has shopping centre where is called Australia Fair which surrounded by loads of shops & offices, if you live in Southport you would be very close to Hospitals, about 10 mins drive from Southport main beach, Olympian size Swimming pool & Surfers Paradise beach.
I live in Southport myself where I live is only 5 mins away from Chevron Island & Benowa/ Bundal.
I'm very happy with my area have extremely nice neighbours, Very good schools around here, but for some people think of Southport as being a rough area, I don’t really know why as most of them don’t ever even lived here.
IMO I haven’t had problem in the area, & everything is so close to me, I think this is where Gold Coast started as it has got loads of old buildings.
If you need to know more about the area I'll be happy to guide you about it, just PM me if you like. Fx
Thanks for the post, when the time comes i will also pm you if you do not mind?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

jonnywonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we fanced southport area,we got a short term let in the hinterland for 4 weeks it was great for the kids then travelled all over the coast, i work in southport its got everything you want but we decide to settle inland slightly mainly for the kids they can have a huge garden to play in & a pool jonny
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Thanks for the post, when the time comes i will also pm you if you do not mind?
No problem.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:01 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
No problem.

PM Sents, Ta!!
Old May 6th 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

I dont know why anyone who is still working for a living would want to live in Southport or any of the Gold Coast towns for that matter. Half the people that I worked with at SunCorp were having to commute into Brisband CBD from the Gold Coast to work every day, because they could not get good quality, high paying work on the coast.

All the better variety of work and better pay is in Brisbane and you can get to the Gold Coast for a swim in 30 minutes on the weekend from most of the SE suburbs of Brisbane.

The other advantage of living and working in Brisbane is that when you get tired of the Gold Coast, you can start to explore the Sunshine Coast on your days off.

If you are retired with a healthy pension csh flow, obviously it is a different kettle of fish, and the Gold Coast would be a good option.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UncleKev
I dont know why anyone who is still working for a living would want to live in Southport or any of the Gold Coast towns for that matter. Half the people that I worked with at SunCorp were having to commute into Brisband CBD from the Gold Coast to work every day, because they could not get good quality, high paying work on the coast.

All the better variety of work and better pay is in Brisbane and you can get to the Gold Coast for a swim in 30 minutes on the weekend from most of the SE suburbs of Brisbane.
The other advantage of living and working in Brisbane is that when you get tired of the Gold Coast, you can start to explore the Sunshine Coast on your days off.

If you are retired with a healthy pension csh flow, obviously it is a different kettle of fish, and the Gold Coast would be a good option.
And what SE suburb of Brissie would get you to the GC in 30 mins??? Beenleigh is the last surburb of Brisbane before you hit the Gold Coast and takes 40 mins to get to from the GC. And you have to travel to Main Beach if you want to swim.

And why would you live on the Gold Coast if you worked in Brissie.........the lifestyle, its that simple! And if you get tired of the Gold Coast you can explore the beautiful Northern NSW coastline from here. We tried Brisbane and soon moved back to the Gold Coast, we like to be close to the beaches, decent beaches!........bayside didnt quite cut it in that area!
Old May 6th 2009, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

We used to do it in 30 minutes from our front door in Carindale. That was a few years ago, have they put speed cameras in since then?

I agree that the Brisbane bayside beaches are not up to much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.